Do You Think Thailand Could Host The Olympics?

theblether

There is nowhere else in Thailand capable of handling the Olympics......and I believe the IOC has now banned secondary cities from applying since the Atlanta shambles.

Plenty of non-capital cities in the running for future Olympics, Istanbul for one could be elected to host the 2020 Olympics next year (granted, it's Turkey's largest city albeit not the capital).

The 2024 Olympics could see bids from cities such as Durban (South Africa), St Petersburg, Baku, Doha, Nairobi, Taipei, Kiev and many (non-capital) cities in the USA are considering bidding. Is it really that far fetched to imagine Bangkok in amongst a list like that? An Olympics in Bangkok, or elsewhere in Thailand, could have great potential and it would be fascinating to see the bid and (if successful) the subsequent development.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nowhere else in Thailand capable of handling the Olympics......and I believe the IOC has now banned secondary cities from applying since the Atlanta shambles.

Plenty of non-capital cities in the running for future Olympics, Istanbul for one could be elected to host the 2020 Olympics next year (granted, it's Turkey's largest city albeit not the capital).

The 2024 Olympics could see bids from cities such as Durban (South Africa), St Petersburg, Baku, Doha, Nairobi, Taipei, Kiev and many (non-capital) cities in the USA are considering bidding. Is it really that far fetched to imagine Bangkok in amongst a list like that? An Olympics in Bangkok, or elsewhere in Thailand, could have great potential and it would be fascinating to see the bid and (if successful) the subsequent development.

And unless things have changed since I went to school Brasilia is the Capital of Brazil, not Rio.

• Like 1

I said secondary cities.........Rio is the premier city in Brazil.

True (as with Istanbul) - still there are a few other secondary cities applying (or thinking of applying) for future Olympics, e.g. Duban, St Petersburg, Brisbane, Chicago, Dallas, Seattle and a few other American cities.

I said secondary cities.........Rio is the premier city in Brazil.

True (as with Istanbul) - still there are a few other secondary cities applying (or thinking of applying) for future Olympics, e.g. Duban, St Petersburg, Brisbane, Chicago, Dallas, Seattle and a few other American cities.

This is getting kind of silly. Sao Paolo is the premier city in Brazil. Chicago is hardly a secondary city by world big city standards. If Chicago is "secondary" then Los Angeles would also be, which it isn't. Edited by Jingthing

The 2024 Olympics could see bids from cities such as Durban (South Africa), St Petersburg, Baku, Doha, Nairobi, Taipei, Kiev and many (non-capital) cities in the USA are considering bidding.
I heard that the Nairobi Olympic budget is held in a sealed vault in Contonou-Benin. If their bid is unsuccessful, the budget will be dispersed to businessmen worldwide who send in their online banking login with password. :rolleyes: Edited by Payboy

I think if you straw polled it JT an overwhelming majority would say that Rio was the premier city in Brazil.

The US has several premier cities, Chicago is one, Atlanta is not.

I believe ( from memory ), that one of the lessons learned by the IOC in regards to the Atlanta Games was that is was essential for the national government to give full backing to the bids. To my recollection Atlanta wasn't afforded that support and suffered some shortfalls in expertise due to that.

Anyway....I don't want to be overly critical of Atlanta......the games were a bit snake bitten for a lot of reasons but many good people put their heart and soul into it.

Would the Thais put their heart and soul into hosting an Olympics?

Today's Atlanta is considered the main metropolis of the USA's Southern region. The Olympics were a coming out party of sorts. I agree they were a failed Olympics but it had nothing to do with the status of the city.

As far as Rio, yes Rio is the most famous Brazilian city from a tourism point of view. But from an importance point of view, there is no contest, Sao Paolo is it. If foreigners don't know that, it's just ignorance.

It is possible for major countries to have a number of important cities. Chicago's bid is perfectly credible. When India does the Olympics, which will surely be much earlier than Thailand ever does, it will be in Delhi. But Mumbai and Kolkata could also be credible.

Edited by Jingthing

This is getting kind of silly. Sao Paolo is the premier city in Brazil. Chicago is hardly a secondary city by world big city standards. If Chicago is "secondary" then Los Angeles would also be, which it isn't.
I was agreeing about Rio and Istanbul. Anyway, at least some of the others on that list can be considered "secondary cities", and their inclusion disproves the claim that The Blether made that the IOC had banned secondary cities from applying. Edited by dantilley

Would the Thais put their heart and soul into hosting an Olympics?

Yes, for sure if they were awarded it.

Don't agree, where has heart and soul gone into anything here. To many fingers in the pie. Lets see how the funding of flooding works out for the poor who always lose out. sad.png

I agree with that. Good luck to them 50 or 100 years from now.

A few preliminary cities have put their hat in the ring for 2024 and 2028. I guess if they thought that was too soon, a tentative bid for 2032 wouldn't be completely out of the question. Or perhaps 2036. So maybe 20-24 years from now. I think if they were serious about it they could easily be ready within that timescale.

Edited by dantilley

This is getting kind of silly. Sao Paolo is the premier city in Brazil. Chicago is hardly a secondary city by world big city standards. If Chicago is "secondary" then Los Angeles would also be, which it isn't.
I was agreeing about Rio and Istanbul. Anyway, at least some of the others on that list can be considered "secondary cities", and their inclusion disproves the claim that The Blether made that the IOC had banned secondary cities from applying.

No it doesn't.........there's nothing to stop secondary cities from bidding however you need to understand how the IOC work......they will encourage the bids so that they appear to be all inclusive.......then they will reject it at the sift stage.

No it doesn't.........there's nothing to stop secondary cities from bidding however you need to understand how the IOC work......they will encourage the bids so that they appear to be all inclusive.......then they will reject it at the sift stage.

True, there's nothing stopping them having their own unwritten rules about which bids they "really" accept.

@harrry......it's not to do with capital cities, it's to do with secondary cities. I'm led to believe that Melbourne is the best city in Australia in regards quality of life issues. It would most certainly be regarded as a premier city in the eyes of many.

Atlanta has undoubtedly learned lessons from hosting the Olympics, and it may well be that the new found confidence in the city has been as a result of a new found professionalism as a result of hosting the games.

That will be their true Olympic legacy.

You have got to be kidding? They would have a guy in a uniform at the start of every race trying to take a bribe of them, and a few cops along the way stopping farangs for 2000 fixed penalty fine.

This country is only good for hosting one thing and one thing only. Japanese business men. Sorry, thats hostessing.

Scotland will be holding a parade for our Olympic medallists on Sep 14th. 7 GOLDS, 4 SILVERS,2 BRONZES.............not bad for a wee country of 5 million.

Apparently we are part of the UK and a part of Team GB.........not part of England as previously indicated by another member.

Wow, who would have thought?

Scotland will be holding a parade for our Olympic medallists on Sep 14th. 7 GOLDS, 4 SILVERS,2 BRONZES.............not bad for a wee country of 5 million.

Apparently we are part of the UK and a part of Team GB.........not part of England as previously indicated by another member.

Most of Scots live in England. laugh.png Sorry. Sorry, sad.png

Ooo thats nice, wonder where the funding came from, (just saying, to paraphrase) whistling.gif