Don Mueang Readiness Decried

webfact

Took Nok Air from DMK to HKT last week.

100% agree, the airport is no where ready to handle Air Asia with 8 million Pax annually.

If you walk in the terminal it's like walking back in time.

Virtually nothing has changed since 1980's.

Wait....I saw workers slapping on a coats of fresh white paint on the terminal outside walls.

But that was it.

Took Nok Air from DMK to HKT last week.

100% agree, the airport is no where ready to handle Air Asia with 8 million Pax annually.

If you walk in the terminal it's like walking back in time.

Virtually nothing has changed since 1980's.

Wait....I saw workers slapping on a coats of fresh white paint on the terminal outside walls.

But that was it.

"fresh white paint"

or could it have been whitewash ? wink.pngrolleyes.gif

The last years of operation, DM was very badly maintained, if at all. Getting it fully operational will cost enormous amounts, most likely billions of baht. Not going to happen.

Air Asia will probably carry their own cost an have their own "airport within the airport". Other airlines will just have to take what they get.

The Swiss have colonised NORTH Korea....the present nutter with an overinflated ego running the place was educated in Switzerland.....

Using that logic, Thailand was colonised by the Swiss many years ago.

Edited by lingyaiyai
  • Like 1

The Swiss have colonised NORTH Korea....the present nutter with an overinflated ego running the place was educated in Switzerland.....

Using that logic, Thailand was colonised by the Swiss many years ago.

Or the Americans, in fact.

When one travels around in other Asian countries such as South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia,--even Indonesia (which I think Thailand would like to consider itself as part of this Asian family) these country's government projects (such as airports) are done top-notch and with consideration of details . Why is it that with the "Thai way", things are not done up to perfection, but (usually) with poor workmanship and not up to international standards. It seems that projects that are built here are always lacking something. (Too bad the Germans or Swiss never colonized the place.)

Ha..ha..ha.. good one. 10 percent of the population here are educated, civilised, cultured and couth. The rest....I leave it to your imaginations.... Till the overseas educated Thais takes over running the show from the old fashioned self righteous greedy old hag of a government, Thailand will never become a first world country even with all its current potential!

The counters opened only two hours ahead of boarding time, and the very slow check-in procedure did not leave passengers enough time to obtain their VAT refunds,

Obviously it sounds like the airport isn't ready for prime time yet but couldn't these folks have gone to VAT before the ticket line opened? Everything says to get to airport at least 2-hours early before an international flight but if you have other things to do at the airport beyond take your flight, would think a traveler would consider this time.

during the period specified in the complaint, only two check-in counters were available to serve the 270 passengers of both T’Way Air and PC Air, the Thai charter airline. The counters opened only two hours ahead of boarding time

Great job by the counters. Each counter processing 1.13 passengers a minute.

Dear Nisa,

you are of course aware that you have to go through check-in and immigration before you can cash in your VAT refund. Otherwise anyone could just take a trip to the airport, get the VAT refund and return home.

• Like 1

Flew through DM twice last week with Nok Air. On the return, my connecting flights were 3hr30m apart. Arrived, colected bags, went to check in, "Sorry sir, you cannot check in yet, not until 2hrs before departure."

So the 2hrs doesn't appear to be a problem of staff not turning up until 2hrs before, but one of policy by the airport operator not to take baggage/allow passengers through to departures until 2hrs before. Irritated me as there's a VIP room in departures with buffet, free WiFi and sofas with TVs awaiting you - 140B bargain.

As for the airport, I thought it was OK, but disappointed as it now involves a 5 minute walk from check in to the gate, as opposed to the check-in-security-departure gate all within 50m of each other a few years ago.

In future, I'll be flying Bangkok Air via Swampy.

Perhaps the AoT are still mopping-up the puddles, from the flooding, and unable to focus on the other facilities required ? rolleyes.gif

But at the risk of stating the obvious, this will all need to be sorted-out before Air Asia switch all their flights over from Swampy, on 1st October ! ermm.gif

In fact, as much as I like Air Asia (and fly them often), I will discontinue using them, as will the rest of the people in my firm (who travel extensively for business) once they've moved to DM. My company is a large regional MNC. I wouldn't doubt that other, similar companies would consider or do the same. Too bad. Air Asia seems to have gotten a bad deal on this one.

I used them through Don Mueng once and once to Phuket. I would never fly them again either. THey spread my family all over the airplane to include a 6 year old child and wanted me to pay to sit with my child. Done with them

It seems that Don Muang has become the "lo-so" airport.

Gotta love class based Thailand!!

DM is a perfect reflection of how Thais run things when they don't have to worry about International FACE. It represents the REAL Thailand -- not the fancied up, shiny cheap buildings and cultural show they try to put on for the world to show they are a "newly developed" country.

Yes , Thailand is "developed" for what it sees as the "needs" of customers , not what customers actually need. The move To DM of all budget airlines will be a disaster for Business and tourism in the country no planning , no preperation.

Edited by KKvampire

Perhaps the AoT are still mopping-up the puddles, from the flooding, and unable to focus on the other facilities required ? rolleyes.gif

But at the risk of stating the obvious, this will all need to be sorted-out before Air Asia switch all their flights over from Swampy, on 1st October ! ermm.gif

In fact, as much as I like Air Asia (and fly them often), I will discontinue using them, as will the rest of the people in my firm (who travel extensively for business) once they've moved to DM. My company is a large regional MNC. I wouldn't doubt that other, similar companies would consider or do the same. Too bad. Air Asia seems to have gotten a bad deal on this one.

I used them through Don Mueng once and once to Phuket. I would never fly them again either. THey spread my family all over the airplane to include a 6 year old child and wanted me to pay to sit with my child. Done with them

If you were traveling with a child, why would you NOT pay the tiny fee for seat allocation when buying the tickets? Would it have made the ticket price uncompetitive?

If you were traveling with a child, why would you NOT pay the tiny fee for seat allocation when buying the tickets? Would it have made the ticket price uncompetitive?

+1

That's crappy. They are a budget airline, but I'm not sure if other budget airlines do the same. I've not tried any of the others. My company will start using Thai and other flagship airlines like SG Air and such. Much more expensive, and, in the case of Thai, a horrible value, imo. I will avoid Thai as much as I can. Aside from the pretty flight attendents, I don't like anything about them.

When one travels around in other Asian countries such as South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia,--even Indonesia (which I think Thailand would like to consider itself as part of this Asian family) these country's government projects (such as airports) are done top-notch and with consideration of details . Why is it that with the "Thai way", things are not done up to perfection, but (usually) with poor workmanship and not up to international standards. It seems that projects that are built here are always lacking something. (Too bad the Germans or Swiss never colonized the place.)

What do you expect when most "professional" Thais and those in government and state officials are on a mental level on par with a retarded 13-year-old?

• Like 1

That's crappy. They are a budget airline, but I'm not sure if other budget airlines do the same. I've not tried any of the others. My company will start using Thai and other flagship airlines like SG Air and such. Much more expensive, and, in the case of Thai, a horrible value, imo. I will avoid Thai as much as I can. Aside from the pretty flight attendents, I don't like anything about them.

Personally, since their announcement of moving to Don Mueang, I have moved over 200,000thb of staff flights to other airlines. I notified them of that as well since that just ran until november.

The most insulting part was where they told me I could not have a refund on flights moved to the "Don", just credit on future flights. I have cancelled them of course.

As far as I am concerned, all flight for staff will be from from suvarnabhumi - not that much extra, and the comfort of people is worth it.

Good luck Air Asia - I was a huge supporter as I finally thought someone had worked out the low-cost model properly -but Thai AirAsia has screwed you as far as my business is concerned.

Edited by airconsult
  • Like 1

With the prices paid for these discount airlines here, I am just happy and a bit surprised passengers don't have to push the plane down the runway to get it going.

Never flown One to Go then!

• Like 1