Don Mueang Readiness Decried

webfact

Don Mueang readiness decried

BY ARNON_K

640px-Bangkok_International_Airport%2C_Terminal_2_2.JPG

Don Muaeng Terminal 2. File photo, source: wikimedia

Korean carrier cites facility shortcomings

BANGKOK: -- Contrary to what Thai authorities claim, Don Mueang airport appears not yet ready to resume international flights, as the South Korean budget carrier T’way Airlines says the problems it encountered has prompted it to halt service there.

T’way, which said it was bombarded by “uncountable” complaints from Thai and foreign passengers alike, blasted Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT) and Thai officials related to airport operations for failing to provide sufficient service and facilities to support international flights through Bangkok’s old airport.

In a formal complaint submitted earlier this week to agencies including the Civil Aviation, Immigration and Customs departments, T’way regional manager Choi Byung-moon listed seven major deficiencies at the airport, which AoT earlier vowed would be ready by Aug 1.

“It is absolutely not ready. There is too much inconvenience for passengers,” the frustrated South Korean executive told the Bangkok Post.

Among the problems faced by T’Way are too few check-in counters, no refund facilities for value-added tax (VAT), breakdowns of luggage carousels, lax security and a shortage of immigration officers.

The problems intensified between July 27 and Aug 8, part of the period of July 14-Sept 30 when the airline planned an additional daily service to Inchon through Don Mueang temporarily.

T’way was forced to introduce its second daily flight at Don Mueang after AoT denied it another slot at Suvarnabhumi due to the runway maintenance shutdown from June 11-Aug 1.

The airline has continued to operate its main daily Inchon service from Suvarnabhumi, where it has operated since last October using a B737-800 twin-engine single-aisle jet configured with 189 seats.

Mr Choi said that during the period specified in the complaint, only two check-in counters were available to serve the 270 passengers of both T’Way Air and PC Air, the Thai charter airline.

The counters opened only two hours ahead of boarding time, and the very slow check-in procedure did not leave passengers enough time to obtain their VAT refunds, he said. [more...]

Full story: http://en.isnhotnews.com/?p=21725

-- ISN Hotnews 2012-08-13

footer_n.gif

I guess he is saying the Asian "HUB" of international travel needs to be oiled to take the sqeaks out as it appears to be rusting.

Oh its still the Asian HUB of travel...unless you happen to want to go to or from Korea....hmmm, is Korea part of Asia???giggle.gif

“It is absolutely not ready. There is too much inconvenience for passengers,” the frustrated South Korean executive told the Bangkok Post.

Way to go AOT! Well oiled machine they are.

AOT are such a joke I have always assumed that their employees come to work still 'well oiled' from the night before. Then there is the 'hair of the dog' to help them get back to their normal state.

Among the problems faced by T’Way are too few check-in counters, no refund facilities for value-added tax (VAT), breakdowns of luggage carousels, lax security and a shortage of immigration officers.

Small issues...the govt will get around to fixing them sooner or later, with the "or later" probably being the preferred option. Plus, putting VAT refund capability at the airport would just result in the loss of tax revenue...why in the world would the govt want to make it easy for a tourist to get back some of the money they spent in Thailand---that's just un-Thai....it's a crazy idea!!!

Airports of Thailand (AoT) can kid Yingluk as to their state of readiness, they can even try to kid the rest of Thailand including themselves, but when it comes to international flights & passengers you just can't kid the rest of the world!!

You've been found out!!

When one travels around in other Asian countries such as South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia,--even Indonesia (which I think Thailand would like to consider itself as part of this Asian family) these country's government projects (such as airports) are done top-notch and with consideration of details . Why is it that with the "Thai way", things are not done up to perfection, but (usually) with poor workmanship and not up to international standards. It seems that projects that are built here are always lacking something. (Too bad the Germans or Swiss never colonized the place.)

I think the Germans and Swiss would run away with such slaves....

• Like 1

Perhaps the AoT are still mopping-up the puddles, from the flooding, and unable to focus on the other facilities required ? rolleyes.gif

But at the risk of stating the obvious, this will all need to be sorted-out before Air Asia switch all their flights over from Swampy, on 1st October ! ermm.gif

What is very alarming is the problems with security scanning (if the passenger scanning is so bad, is the baggage scanning even working?) - this violates the ICAO agreements, and will mean every downline airport will have to take extra precautions with passengers originating from Don Mueang. Possibly some of them will just extend that to all passengers from Thailand just to be safe.

• Like 2

When one travels around in other Asian countries such as South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia,--even Indonesia (which I think Thailand would like to consider itself as part of this Asian family) these country's government projects (such as airports) are done top-notch and with consideration of details . Why is it that with the "Thai way", things are not done up to perfection, but (usually) with poor workmanship and not up to international standards. It seems that projects that are built here are always lacking something. (Too bad the Germans or Swiss never colonized the place.)

Ah the Swiss famous colonisers(?) and the Germans – well we all know the total cock-up they made the last time they tried that in Europe !

• Like 2

Perhaps the AoT are still mopping-up the puddles, from the flooding, and unable to focus on the other facilities required ? rolleyes.gif

But at the risk of stating the obvious, this will all need to be sorted-out before Air Asia switch all their flights over from Swampy, on 1st October ! ermm.gif

In fact, as much as I like Air Asia (and fly them often), I will discontinue using them, as will the rest of the people in my firm (who travel extensively for business) once they've moved to DM. My company is a large regional MNC. I wouldn't doubt that other, similar companies would consider or do the same. Too bad. Air Asia seems to have gotten a bad deal on this one.

• Like 1

It seems that Don Muang has become the "lo-so" airport.

Gotta love class based Thailand!!

DM is a perfect reflection of how Thais run things when they don't have to worry about International FACE. It represents the REAL Thailand -- not the fancied up, shiny cheap buildings and cultural show they try to put on for the world to show they are a "newly developed" country.

• Like 1

Ah the Swiss famous colonisers(?) and the Germans – well we all know the total cock-up they made the last time they tried that in Europe !

The Swiss, secure,secretive banking, fine chocolate and cuckoo clocks, spectacular scenery, good skiing.

The Germans, efficient business, superb cars, good beer, burp.gif sour krauts and the best of the wurst.

• Like 2

The Swiss have colonised NORTH Korea....the present nutter with an overinflated ego running the place was educated in Switzerland.

Also under the banner of the Red Cross aid programme is how this despot controlled country survives.

As for Germany colonising anywhere they had a feeble attempt in Africa and failed twice to take over Europe...too close to home to try that kind of thing.

As for S.E. Asia the French and Dutch made a mess of things and never got on top of the job.

But sticking to the topic about D.M. it is bound to fail, no effort or money was being put into a place that had been basically abandoned and the Thais think they can throw a magic switch and have it all running smoothly in a matter of weeks. All because the basic fact is that Swampy was built on a ...swamp .... and now they have no option but to have 2 airports because the whole world is looking for a seat on a plane and the skies are getting more and more crowded.

If things don't get sorted soon the floods will be back and the whole country will grind to a halt again making overseas investors have major 2nd thoughts about putting their money here.

In fact, as much as I like Air Asia (and fly them often), I will discontinue using them, as will the rest of the people in my firm (who travel extensively for business) once they've moved to DM. My company is a large regional MNC. I wouldn't doubt that other, similar companies would consider or do the same. Too bad. Air Asia seems to have gotten a bad deal on this one.

Our company will consider Air Asia as option after the moved to DM, as it is much closer to us. (If Air Asian wouldn't be banned at all in our company because of our no corruption policy).

The Swiss, secure,secretive banking, fine chocolate and cuckoo clocks, spectacular scenery, good skiing.

The Germans, efficient business, superb cars, good beer, burp.gif sour krauts and the best of the wurst.

Swiss have also nice technical industry and efficient business, but it isn't that well known because Switzerland is small.

They have also a remarkable turn over in narcotics which isn't so well known....

• Like 1

The counters opened only two hours ahead of boarding time, and the very slow check-in procedure did not leave passengers enough time to obtain their VAT refunds,

Obviously it sounds like the airport isn't ready for prime time yet but couldn't these folks have gone to VAT before the ticket line opened? Everything says to get to airport at least 2-hours early before an international flight but if you have other things to do at the airport beyond take your flight, would think a traveler would consider this time.

during the period specified in the complaint, only two check-in counters were available to serve the 270 passengers of both T’Way Air and PC Air, the Thai charter airline. The counters opened only two hours ahead of boarding time

Great job by the counters. Each counter processing 1.13 passengers a minute.

Edited by Nisa

The counters opened only two hours ahead of boarding time, and the very slow check-in procedure did not leave passengers enough time to obtain their VAT refunds,

Obviously it sounds like the airport isn't ready for prime time yet but couldn't these folks have gone to VAT before the ticket line opened? Everything says to get to airport at least 2-hours early before an international flight but if you have other things to do at the airport beyond take your flight, would think a traveler would consider this time.

during the period specified in the complaint, only two check-in counters were available to serve the 270 passengers of both T’Way Air and PC Air, the Thai charter airline. The counters opened only two hours ahead of boarding time

Right, Nisa. Seems as though you are missing the forest for the trees, as usual. I'll go with the international committee's opinions that the airport has some MAJOR issues over your save FACE, troll post. Thank you.

Right, Nisa. Seems as though you are missing the forest for the trees, as usual. I'll go with the international committee's opinions that the airport has some MAJOR issues over your save FACE, troll post. Thank you.

What part of my post do you consider a troll post? The first line where I said the airport wasn't ready? Would it make it less of a troll post if I chose to use this as an opportunity to slam all Thais & Thailand instead of just staying on topic? If so, I think readers who prefer those rants already got enough of it in your previous post.

DM is a perfect reflection of how Thais run things when they don't have to worry about International FACE. It represents the REAL Thailand -- not the fancied up, shiny cheap buildings and cultural show they try to put on for the world to show they are a "newly developed" country.
Edited by Nisa

I don't think you were trolling Nisa, but you missed the part where it said later there was no VAT refund counter anyway.

Also, maybe you needed a /sarc tag for the 1.13 minutes per passenger bit. Admittedly as there are no computers, and it sounds like the entire electrical system is dodgy right now (in the article many electrical items not working, such as signs), then you have to preprint the boarding passes - but the general goal of major airlines is really 3 minutes per passenger.

Even after you manage to get a boarding pass somehow - one security line, sometimes not open at all, and only 4 immigration officers (split between arrivals and departures).

I agree with the Tway view - absolutely not ready yet. But in August they did get 90% off the landing fees...... so maybe 10% of regular service seemed appropriate?

I don't think you were trolling Nisa, but you missed the part where it said later there was no VAT refund counter anyway.

Also, maybe you needed a /sarc tag for the 1.13 minutes per passenger bit. Admittedly as there are no computers, and it sounds like the entire electrical system is dodgy right now (in the article many electrical items not working, such as signs), then you have to preprint the boarding passes - but the general goal of major airlines is really 3 minutes per passenger.

Even after you manage to get a boarding pass somehow - one security line, sometimes not open at all, and only 4 immigration officers (split between arrivals and departures).

I agree with the Tway view - absolutely not ready yet. But in August they did get 90% off the landing fees...... so maybe 10% of regular service seemed appropriate?

My apologies as I didn't click the full story and was responding to the part that said they couldn't get Vat refunds because they waited at the counter too long. Kind of an odd way to write a story but nothing new here. wink.png

In a perfect world the airport should have been ready to handle these unplanned extra international flights months before the move of the airlines is completed but they weren't and they screwed up and probably should have denied the airline's request to use the airport for their extra international flights if they couldn't hire and train the additional staff as quickly as needed instead of trying to accommodate the additional flight(s) added by the airline. Did DM even have any international flights previously?

Bottom line is the airport screwed up and it won't be the last time passengers of flights here or anywhere else are inconvenienced and complain.

Edited by Nisa