Thaivisa.Com Blocks All Yahoo Email Addresses From Today

george

No problem here getting my mail from Thaivisa and I have a yahoo account. This is aken to telling the customer they are wrong and if you want to use our service do as I say instead of them fixing there problem as I do not have one on my end. I have been loseing interest in the info on Thaivisa so I guess I will be loseing all interest now

Customers are people who pay for goods and services

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

reading through articles from Fox and toptenreviews, there is a difference of opinion.

toptenreviews both Gmail and Hotmail (windowslive) score 10 out of 10 for security, suprisingly enough Yahoo also gets 10 for security.

toptenreviews from this year http://free-email-se...tenreviews.com/

"Security" meaning that they don't receive suspicious mails, such as from thaivisa.com?

And it's really AMAZING how people who 'think' they 'know' something about mail and internet and stuff still use Gmail.

I prefer to have NO ads. You can simply achieve this by just register your OWN domain and set up your own mail-server (or use the mailserver from your provider, but with your own domain!).

Anyone can think about some nice name they want after the @. Then register this domain and set up their own mail. Can be done including hosting within a few minutes!

This is how people do it who know 'something' of mail and internet. And NOT just run to Gmail cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

While there are some understandable rants throughout this thread - and some posts which are simply negative knee-jerk reactions.....

.....this particular post has to be one of the most arrogant, patronising and unhelpful offerings I have ever seen in the history of this forum. (although I am pretty much a nobody here, I have been around a while).

Can you also refrain from slamming people with "Goodbye" when they mention they may stop being members of the forum?? Not very constructive or helpful.....

The two main problems I have with this post:

And it's really AMAZING how people who 'think' they 'know' something about mail and internet and stuff still use Gmail.

Most All of the IT boffins that I know, whether they have their own domains or not - use gmail. Actually anyone who 'thinks they know something' as you so bluntly put it - tend to have an email account with all of the major providers, so that there is always an alternative address to use whenever they come up against a site which, for whatever reason, may not accept their primary email address.

just register your OWN domain and set up your own mail-server

One major flaw in that argument - in most cases, to choose, register, set up, and maintain your own domain (even just for the purposes of having a private email address) - costs money.....

Can't speak for anyone who is going to be affected by this new policy - but given how annoyed some of them seem to be already - I highly doubt they'll be happily splashing out money to register a domain just to have a new email address to replace their yahoo.......

Honestly I think everyone needs to settle down.

I'd humbly suggest that George or another senior mod write a more detailed (but still in simple terms) explanation of :

- which users will be affected (yes its an obvious one, but start from the beginning)

- how they will be affected

- why this change has become necessary

- simple list of steps which can be taken to 'switch over'

- and most importantly, provide a comprehensive list of free email providers which affected members can choose from (including, but not limited to gmail - as there are certainly members who have their issues with google mail. Give them alternatives)

A little education, and some assistance - should go a long way to calming down the affected members......

Well-well: "Honestly I think everyone needs to settle down."

YES, and YOU should be the 1st to settle down. You comment on a post which you clearly didn't understand for who it was meant.

"this particular post has to be one of the most arrogant, patronising and unhelpful offerings I have ever seen in the history of this forum"

Your profile:"Wine (I am the ultimate wino)"

No, that's not arrogantsick.gif

Why the f..k do you write such a post? (yes, I feel a bit offense after your totally unnecessary post!) You clearly don't know what I meant with my post do you? It was meant for another poster who thinks he/she is above all!

"I have ever seen in the history of this forum". Well, guess you don't read too much on this forum, since if you did you could notice that my posts are very very gentle and much MUCH worse posts can be read from other posters every day!

Furthermore with my post I tried to help people and tell that you have a choice of setting up your own domain and mail server etc. (since many people actually don't know about this!). Yes, there are some (small!) costs attached to this, but nothing comes for free. You pay for your Gmail with ads if you didn't notice (oh and your privacy is not really private anymore as well with Gmail, but I guess you don't care).

About your statement: "All of the IT boffins that I know, whether they have their own domains or not - use gmail." cheesy.gif

That shows that your friends the 'IT boffins' aren't really IT boffins or they don't tell you the correct story. Of course I too have multiple mailaddresses as you can make unlimited mailaddresses if you setup your own mail! Of course the real 'IT boffins' have their own mailaddresses on their own domains and use Gmail just to fill in somewhere on sites or indeed as an 'last' resort alternative.

So next time, pls read the posts and check who they quotes and what they write etc. before accusing someone and then go on with some rubbish post yourself.

Oh and about your:

"Can you also refrain from slamming people with "Goodbye" when they mention they may stop being members of the forum?? Not very constructive or helpful....."

Slamming people? I just say goodbye to people who leave as good manners! Nothing wrong with that is it???

Or what do you think I mean to say with those posts? coffee1.gif

By the way: why do you even bother to post here? You don't even live in Thailand (if you don't lie in your profile!).

About your suggestions to George. Not sure you actually read this thread, but they did all that you suggested!

Edited by Cheops

laugh.png yes, I'm a happy chap too. But someone is a little sensitive & a touch defensive too...

..one positive thing came out of that rant....its reminded me it might be time to update my profile, I don't recall what's on there - info must be nearly 10 years old.

(but I'll leave the wino reference - that hasn't changed much smile.png )

Edited by SeaVisionBurma

I believe the reasoning is thus, Yahoo don't like bulk email (the newsletters and email notifications) we send out. Thaivisa ends up on spammers block lists. Obviously this is something TV wishes to avoid.

So you inconvenience a vast majority of members because you cannot talk to Yahoo. Unbelievable

sent from my Wellcom A90+

FYI: Yahoo has a policy of not talking to anyone, not replying any complaints, not addressing any bugs, errors, etc., whether it contains email, incorrect data on its Yahoo Finance or News pages, tec.

I have a substantial file of screenprints and emails to demonstrate it. Yahoo is on a slow but sure path to corporate suicide, that's why Microsoft, equally uninterested in its clients, liked it, bought into it.

Sorry but you are wrong about them not answering complaints. I just recently had a big issue with Yahoo over my mail not working correctly. Continually logging me out or saying I had to log back in when I diddn't. Switched to a different browser and after awhile the same thing popped up again. Turned out to be a software issued for a new "add on" toolbar that affected not only Yahoo but also IE. Problem solved and fixed. I received several emails from both Microsoft and Yahoo cutomer service departments fixing this issue.

I moved back to my home country for awhile until the Thais can get their act together (which may never come) and start treating ExPats with a little more respect. Just one example: why do you put up with the 90 day report rule when you've already spent a million Baht to buy a house or marry a Thai? Makes no sense. Then when it floods, don't listen to the experts...SANDBAG everything!

And my point is, George is acting like the Thais now. BIG PROPBLEM ...SO SANDBAG IT! He has a E-mail delivery problem with Yahoo because Yahoo is most likely seeing it as SPAM and rejects it. All he said was he had a problem but didn't fully explain what that problem was (just like the Thais). So kill the rejector (Yahoo), remove it and the problem goes away. Not likely. Several very good suggestions have been posted to solve the problem, so George and his staff should review them and come up with as better plan. Even though it only affects new signees it has come accross as affecting all members now. He initial message came accross as too drastic for those who in some cases barely know how to turn on a computer.

I've always told my students to use GMAIL because Yahoo and Hotmail are crap, get a lot of viruses/spam/get hacked etc and is generally slower. Maybe I should take it a step further and just have them all get a GMAIL account from the beginning or not be allowed in class...

...that would be pretty harsh.

In any case, get a GMAIL account. Webmail or managed through an email app -- it's just heaps better than anything Hotmail or Yahoo provides.

Edited by theajarn

As a fellow web developer, this seems like a really strange way of dealing with the issue. There are literally thousands of other legitimate websites that are confronted with this issue, but are able to resolve it without resorting to completely banning a domain suffix from email lists. The only other sites I've seen that have resorted to this are illegal torrent sites and the like, which don't have much ground to stand on.

George: Have you read the Yahoo page on this issue located here? Also, have you filed for a bulk email exception form with yahoo located here?

• Like 1

Yahoo and Hotmail email accounts are those most favoured by messenger groups, spammers and scammers because they are so easy to set up with virtually no questions asked. It is even possible to create several different email addresses using only one account with Hotmail.

I believe with gmail and some others that verification is required, such as sms activation.

What all this in fact means that it is more difficult to keep tabs on those who use Yahoo and Hotmail and these users can be completely anonymous.

I think this a good move by Thai visa, as it should help eliminate those who use multiple identities and newbie trolls that have plagued the forums over the years.

• Like 1

Right. But the payment for services on this web board can be in the currency of time.

I do consider myself a customer of thaivisa.com.

You have no contract with them. They provide you with a free service.

• Like 1

Right. But the payment for services on this web board can be in the currency of time.

Perhaps he means the trade off between emotional distress and entertainment provided? rolleyes.gif

Well, I suppose I won't be a Thaivisa user any longer. I only come to the forum when I get the e-mail notification of news articles. I never just go to Thaivisa any longer as I did when I first came here 5 years ago.

I have alternative e-mail address's, but they happen to be hotmail, so I guess they've done themselves in.

When I read the recommendation to get a g-mail address, the first thing that popped into my mind was "I wonder how much Google is paying them to get rid of Yahoo add'ys?" I don't use Google for anything since they threw the Chinese dissidents under the bus a few years back. Plus, they are in just a bit to close with the US gummit. Way to much co-operation with the NSA.

Sorry Thaivisa...you've lost me.

TV,s dictatorial attitude between The Nation and BK post news papers is bad enough, but having to register another email address just to read TV,Forum of which half is crap anyway is going too far. You have lost me to.

You don't need to change if you don't like, but don't expect notifications, password reset and newsletter to work all the time. We don't dictate anything, this is a recommendation if you want to be sure to receive communications from us.

To use the forum with a previous yahoo email address is not a problem, you can of course continue to use our services, but new members can't sign up with a Yahoo address.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

well... would that provider be google?

TV's MX records point to google servers.

So I smell an issue of unfair competition between Yahoo and Google.

Yahoo sends google's bulkmail to the spam folder, maybe in the hope that bulkmail senders will pay Yahoo a sort of highwayman fee to let the advertizing in?

(pure speculation from me)

Perhaps he means the trade off between emotional distress and entertainment provided? rolleyes.gif

I understand his distress only too well whistling.gif

--------------------------

yahoo.com

yahoo.com.* (all country specific yahoo email addresses)

yahoo.co.* (all country specific yahoo email addresses)

--------------------------

So what about Yahoo.no or Yahoo.dk ? In most european countries we do not use co or com

Edited by balo

TV is simply a Google prostitute. Google is slowly taking over everything - might as well get used to it and give in now. They might as well remove those Agoda ads too as Google is getting into the travel business now with the purchase of Frommer's et al. Bend over - they are coming for you.

• Like 2

Last year I tried to sign up for Bangkok Bank Internet banking, on the signup form you enter an email address.

It could ONLY be @yahoo.com or @hotmail.com I was staggered to say the least. I asked why.

The reply "Because it's only a real email address if it ends in @yahoo.com or hotmail.com" said the senior girl behind the desk.

Totally unbelieivable, but totally true.

I am staggered too as Bangkok Bank are happily sending emails to my address which is a .co.uk one. Edited by jacko45k

I'm not going to be leaving TV in the near future, or throw my toys out of the pram over my email address being blocked, but I do think that the board admin come across as rather high-handed.

For example, what would have been the problem with making this announcement:

"TV.com blocks all Yahoo email addresses, starting a week from today" ?

Peace wai.gif

TV is simply a Google prostitute. Google is slowly taking over everything - might as well get used to it and give in now. They might as well remove those Agoda ads too as Google is getting into the travel business now with the purchase of Frommer's et al. Bend over - they are coming for you.

Bit harsh sad.png

What do you use for on-line searches ?

The problem for George is that if he's more clear in his OP, he would basically have written:

"Yahoo email users will shortly be removed from our outgoing spam list. Hotmail users soon as well. Please change email provider to continue receiving spam."

When I subscribe to a newsletter or some other email notification and then receive the emails I requested, I do not consider these emails to be spam. Do I have a wrong understanding of "spam"?

...everyone knows Google sell YOUR information to the highest bidder...

I believe you are wrong. What I read once is that when through your own action you enable the functions that allow Google to filter what you browse and what you write, the selection of Google ads shown on your gmail pages or Google browser pages will take this information into account. For example, if you search for a supplier of bananas, the ads will display information about such suppliers. That's my understanding how this works. Advertisers bid for the search word "banana", and when somebody searches for bananas the ad of the company who won the bid for "banana" is displayed. Clever, isn't it? But you have to click on the box that selects this options, otherwise you will not get customised ads and when searching for bananas you may see an ad for diamonds. More exiting, I should think.

Well, I suppose I won't be a Thaivisa user any longer. I only come to the forum when I get the e-mail notification of news articles. I never just go to Thaivisa any longer as I did when I first came here 5 years ago.

I have alternative e-mail address's, but they happen to be hotmail, so I guess they've done themselves in.

When I read the recommendation to get a g-mail address, the first thing that popped into my mind was "I wonder how much Google is paying them to get rid of Yahoo add'ys?" I don't use Google for anything since they threw the Chinese dissidents under the bus a few years back. Plus, they are in just a bit to close with the US gummit. Way to much co-operation with the NSA.

Sorry Thaivisa...you've lost me.

TV,s dictatorial attitude between The Nation and BK post news papers is bad enough, but having to register another email address just to read TV,Forum of which half is crap anyway is going too far. You have lost me to.

Sounds like you're in a FLAP! Could make it 'flap49'

Edited by fishhooks

This must be one of the most amusing threads I have read on TV. cheesy.gif

All these computer/internet/email "experts" giggle.gif here. Most did not even read the original post from TV and are complaining about things that do not excist.

To make it all clear and short for lazy readers: tongue.png

If you still want to get the daily newsletter with the TV headlines, for which you signed up with to receive, you will need to change you email address with TV. sorry.gif

If you do not change your email address you will no longer receive the newsletter.

END of story.

This must be one of the most amusing threads I have read on TV. cheesy.gif

All these computer/internet/email "experts" giggle.gif here. Most did not even read the original post from TV and are complaining about things that do not excist.

To make it all clear and short for lazy readers: tongue.png

If you still want to get the daily newsletter with the TV headlines, for which you signed up with to receive, you will need to change you email address with TV. sorry.gif

If you do not change your email address you will no longer receive the newsletter.

END of story.

The email from Thaivisa say's:

IMPORTANT INFO:

Due to delivery problems with all types of email addresses runned by Yahoo.com, including Rocketmail, we have today banned all Yahoo email addresses to sign up with thaivisa.

We urge you to change your Yahoo email address to something else, please go here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/576903-thaivisacom-blocks-all-yahoo-email-addresses-from-today/

Big Fail??

BTW I was testing corner cases in Vmware and in some of the cases I ran a Smtp and Pop3 server from thailand using as Isp Tot (budget 6mb-5mb connection) with free dns from no ip {}.zapto.org and everything ok, I can send, recive emails and I can connect from everywhere using outlock etc.

the strange for me was that Tot blocking so much webpages etc, have all the ports open, something similar with No-ip the mx record and port traffic just work ok open and free, not like Dyndns or other isp in other countries...

Blocking popular free mail services it's not a solution, generate antagonism, untrust and unsuscribed users...

Edited by ITGabs

Last year I tried to sign up for Bangkok Bank Internet banking, on the signup form you enter an email address.

It could ONLY be @yahoo.com or @hotmail.com I was staggered to say the least. I asked why.

The reply "Because it's only a real email address if it ends in @yahoo.com or hotmail.com" said the senior girl behind the desk.

Totally unbelieivable, but totally true.

So all the Bangkok Bank email addresses e.g. [email protected] would be fake then according to her.

No problem here getting my mail from Thaivisa and I have a yahoo account. This is aken to telling the customer they are wrong and if you want to use our service do as I say instead of them fixing there problem as I do not have one on my end. I have been loseing interest in the info on Thaivisa so I guess I will be loseing all interest now

Or who click on your adsense ads. :)