Dealing With Potentially Drunk Farang Men Who Want To Talk

Slim Chance

A few examples might help first

I'm (your) on a bus, its very early in the morning (or very late at night depending on your view), not doing anything but looking out of the window and a Finn starts saying hello. Its obvious that the Finn is either very drunk or crazy, and alot of other passengers on the bus are looking in disgust at the Finn.

I'm (Your) on an overnight train, in the restaurant carriage, I'm listening to some music. In the carriage there is mainly French men and they are drinking spirits. Dont know what they were saying as i wasnt listening, but a guy starts to breathe on me and starts saying bonjour.

I'm (Your) having a drink at a roadside restaurant and there are three Australians guys drinking whiskey next to you. One of them starts to say hello.

There are other examples too but this isnt a diary of them. Usually before a foreigner tries to communicate you here gibberish being said and there is laughter around that.

Typically the foreign bloke is 40 years plus. I dont have anything against old decrepit Germans and I certainly wanst doing anything to incite any negative attitude or reaction - just minding my own business. I dress conservatively and do not consider myself to look unusual for a Martian.

I'm asking this as it seems to be happening maybe once every couple of weeks and I am very wary of drunk British louts. I do not want to get into a difficult situation and doubt this would happen. I'm putting this on here as I'm pretty sure I'm not the only Martian this has happenned to and there are people here who have been on Earth far longer than me. Just looking for some wisdom, experience and advice.

Cheers

I'm (your) on a bus, its very early in the morning (or very late at night depending on your view), not doing anything but looking out of the window and a Finn starts saying hello. Its obvious that the Finn is either very drunk or crazy, and alot of other passengers on the bus are looking in disgust at the Finn.

I'm (Your) on an overnight train, in the restaurant carriage, I'm listening to some music. In the carriage there is mainly French men and they are drinking spirits. Dont know what they were saying as i wasnt listening, but a guy starts to breathe on me and starts saying bonjour.

I'm (Your) having a drink at a roadside restaurant and there are three Australians guys drinking whiskey next to you. One of them starts to say hello.

There are other examples too but this isnt a diary of them. Usually before a foreigner tries to communicate you here gibberish being said and there is laughter around that.

Typically the foreign bloke is 40 years plus. I dont have anything against old decrepit Germans and I certainly wanst doing anything to incite any negative attitude or reaction - just minding my own business. I dress conservatively and do not consider myself to look unusual for a Martian.

I'm asking this as it seems to be happening maybe once every couple of weeks and I am very wary of drunk British louts. I do not want to get into a difficult situation and doubt this would happen. I'm putting this on here as I'm pretty sure I'm not the only Martian this has happenned to and there are people here who have been on Earth far longer than me. Just looking for some wisdom, experience and advice.

Cheers

my personal reaction should be to go after a little while because one cannot get rid of such people and furthermore I cannot oversee the development of the "discussion" with me. I am not interested in discussion with these people. Also I feel embarresed because the local Thai might think I am part of the group! So, look for another place, pity for you, pity for the owner!

And I would buy the Aussies a beer

And good idea to aviod large groups of drunk British louts

Hmmm... prolly a good idea to stay away from large groups of drunk Aussie louts also... considering recent events.. :o

totster :D

What recent events was that

The Finn I would try and ignored and if he pisst me off give him a slap

I would never let a French man get that close to me

And I would buy the Aussies a beer.

Whiskey they were a drinking my friend.

Kinda nice to have a chaser or just make it a boilermaker :o

If they are drinking whiskey then they are most probably not real Aussie and are probably poms making out they are Aussies in which cases you refur to the last answer

Cheers

Good stuff, best thread starter i read in yonks 5555

Perhaps i ought to start a new thread myself entitled:

>Have you made any Farang male friends?

Edited by stevesuphan

There's an easy solution to avoiding drunken, annoying farangs, namely avoid tourist areas.This includes all coastal regions, mountainous or scenic spots plus big cities.

You are left with Issan, I guarantee OP, if you come to the fields of Issan you will not be disturbed by any obnoxious or irritating farangs. You may stumble on drunken Thai men sleeping off early morning hangovers in huts whilst tending cattle but their worst crime is occasional snoring.

Regarding trains or public transport, I fear there is no escape except to feign sleep.

Turning into good old nationalistic carp ("my countrymen are better than yours") :o

Quite.... I think the point is that every country has drunks....(i'm guessing that's what the op was getting at) and a group of drunken louts are best avoided no matter what country they come from... :D

Cheers

Even the most thick skinned drunkard (regardless of Nationality) will soon realise how aloof you are and leave you alone in a very short time i feel. :o

That's why I never take chances! I religiously practice my routine, a bit of kicking and loads of punching for emergencies.

Society is changing nowadays, and it's not only in Thailand. Every country has it's "bad and good." (It pays to learn to watch our backs as much as possible. And sometimes, fighting is not only done in "hand to hand" combat. There are many other ways to win a battle!)

Buying me a beer always works... :o

..and in Yorkys case (nothing "potential" about it mind) just wait.. it won't be long before he deals with himself and falls over ! :D

first - i promise this is a genuine question... i'm really not trying to make a point, etc. i think knowing the answer (ie understanding how you're thinking) might help me understand how best to handle it myself.

i've copied totster's post because he was honest enough to say it! but this question is to any bloke out there who knows he does the 'trying to start a conversation with a woman' thing after a few beers...

what would you do if you (a bloke) were having a quiet drink in a bar and a group of rowdy/drunk, etc blokes came in and one of them came over to start a conversation - if you thought they were trying to chat you up...?

what would you do if you (a bloke) were having a quiet drink in a bar and a group of rowdy/drunk, etc blokes came in and one of them came over to start a conversation - if you thought they were trying to chat you up...?
Tell him I wasn't interested and to go <deleted> himself.

Buying me a beer always works... :D

..and in Yorkys case (nothing "potential" about it mind) just wait.. it won't be long before he deals with himself and falls over ! :D

first - i promise this is a genuine question... i'm really not trying to make a point, etc. i think knowing the answer (ie understanding how you're thinking) might help me understand how best to handle it myself.

i've copied totster's post because he was honest enough to say it! but this question is to any bloke out there who knows he does the 'trying to start a conversation with a woman' thing after a few beers...

This is a straight answer. I was in Phuket a few weeks ago, sitting in a bar having a quiet drink (not a girlie bar). A large Finnish guy started talking to me from across the bar then asked if it was ok to join me at my part of the bar. We hit it off, had many drinks, compared stories about work, travel, ex wives, his time in Sydney some years ago and generally had a good blokey time. I even won 500 baht from him when he insisted on betting he was older than me (Apparently we both look younger than our real ages).

After many and varied drinks boheme abounded. I then began to notice that every joke, point made, etc, seemed to result in a hand shake and these shakes became more and more prolonged. They were sometimes accompanied by a hug and more. I found I had difficulty retrieving my hand from his. When I looked at the bar staff, and a young Australian couple next to me, they were all grinning and tittering! :o I then realised he was looking at me in a very drunken amorous way (a look I'm sure I've had in the past, but never in the company of a large male Fin). He then made it obvious he wanted the party to continue at a different level.

It was time to retrieve the situation. I forcefully pulled his hand off mine, placed it on the bar and told him firmly that I was not interested in anything beyond drinks. He got the message, we had one more drink as mates and went our seperate ways.

I had been flattered in a way, it was the first time ever in Thailand I had come across someone who was interested in me and not my wallet. :D

Edited by Old Croc

Buying me a beer always works... :D

This is a straight answer. I was in Phuket a few weeks ago, sitting in a bar having a quiet drink (not a girlie bar). A large Finnish guy started talking to me from across the bar then asked if it was ok to join me at my part of the bar. We hit it off, had many drinks, compared stories about work, travel, ex wives, his time in Sydney some years ago and generally had a good blokey time. I even won 500 baht from him when he insisted on betting he was older than me (Apparently we both look younger than our real ages).

After many and varied drinks boheme abounded. I then began to notice that every joke, point made, etc, seemed to result in a hand shake and these shakes became more and more prolonged. They were sometimes accompanied by a hug and more. I found I had difficulty retrieving my hand from his. When I looked at the bar staff, and a young Australian couple next to me, they were all grinning and tittering! :o I then realised he was looking at me in a very drunken amorous way (a look I'm sure I've had in the past, but never in the company of a large male Fin). He then made it obvious he wanted the party to continue at a different level.

It was time to retrieve the situation. I forcefully pulled his hand off mine, placed it on the bar and told him firmly that I was not interested in anything beyond drinks. He got the message, we had one more drink as mates and went our seperate ways.

I had been flattered in a way, it was the first time ever in Thailand I had come across someone who was interested in me and not my wallet. :D

thanks old croc! it's a bit of a wierd feeling isn't it when you first realise what you thought was a great night over a few beers was actually meant to be something else!!

do you think you would have felt differently if there were a load of his friends (also large and male) watching in the background? i think it's sometimes quite intimidating for women if they feel there's a 'mob' just a couple of metres away...

thanks old croc! it's a bit of a wierd feeling isn't it when you first realise what you thought was a great night over a few beers was actually meant to be something else!!

do you think you would have felt differently if there were a load of his friends (also large and male) watching in the background? i think it's sometimes quite intimidating for women if they feel there's a 'mob' just a couple of metres away...

Obviously it wouldn't have eventuated the way it did if he had had a pile of mates nearby, so it's difficult to compare with other scenarios. By that I mean we wouldn't have had drinks together if we weren't alone in the bar.

Edited by Old Croc

As a bloke, groups of western women worry me far more than groups of pis*ed up blokes.

Totster, if a bloke was a bit pis*ed and a girl buys him a beer....? Nearly any bloke in the world is gonna take that as a come on surley....?!

I think every situation deserves judging as you see it at the time. Maybe you meet Totster and you need to buy him a beer to placate him. If I'm a bit pis*ed and trying to chat you up just tell me straight if you're not interested. I'm not one of these people that loses all rational thought just cos of a bit o booze (not sayin you do Tot) and, once told we could have a laugh and then you can buy me a beer. :D:o

redrus

As a bloke, groups of western women worry me far more than groups of pis*ed up blokes.

Totster, if a bloke was a bit pis*ed and a girl buys him a beer....? Nearly any bloke in the world is gonna take that as a come on surley....?!

I think every situation deserves judging as you see it at the time. Maybe you meet Totster and you need to buy him a beer to placate him. If I'm a bit pis*ed and trying to chat you up just tell me straight if you're not interested. I'm not one of these people that loses all rational thought just cos of a bit o booze (not sayin you do Tot) and, once told we could have a laugh and then you can buy me a beer. :D:o

redrus

He he... i was talking tongue in cheek...

And to be honest I rarely initiate conversation, even when plastered.. I'm quite shy really !

I think every situation deserves judging as you see it at the time. Maybe you meet Totster and you need to buy him a beer to placate him. If I'm a bit pis*ed and trying to chat you up just tell me straight if you're not interested. I'm not one of these people that loses all rational thought just cos of a bit o booze (not sayin you do Tot) and, once told we could have a laugh and then you can buy me a beer. :D:D

redrus

He he... i was talking tongue in cheek...

And to be honest I rarely initiate conversation, even when plastered.. I'm quite shy really !

Yeah Totster thats what everyone says, me too to be honest....! :o

redrus

If they are drinking whiskey then they are most probably not real Aussie and are probably poms making out they are Aussies in which cases you refur to the last answer

why on gods earth would a pommie try and ' make out ' that there an ozzie...they wouldnt want to be ridiculed............. :o