Phuket Zoo 500% Skin Tax!

phuketjock

Sorry, but whinging about it on this forum won't change things. You can get a Thai Drivers License or choose not to go to attractions that double the price for non Thais. The theory on the dual pricing I have heard is that most Thais don't make nearly as much as a foreign tourist. While I agree that's true, is still doesn't seem right. But then again in California, there is a locals price for Disneyland and other attractions as well as colleges and universities. So it's not limited to Thailand.

I Visited Everglades National park 5 days in a row, 10USD for one car +including all occupants for one week.

Compare this with Thai parks asking 400/500B per foreign person per entry + 100 baht for the car.

I pass...

Oh, will travel to Phuke-it next week for one week, zoo's won't see us, at any price, thanks.

We'll stay at the beach and hotel swimming pool with our 18 months young baby.

Edited by tartempion

Nearly went to Splash Jungle water park, Mai Khao yesterday. We called to ask the prices first. Thai's B500. Foreigner B1500.

Didn't go in the end, not just out of principle but $50 entrance fee for a very small waterpark is very expensive in comparison to others i've been to. Wet n wild in Orlando Florida is $49 but its literally 80 times the size.... TITwai.gif

Make choices and options

It's a consumer thing...there will always be double pricing everywhere in all countries and whining doesn't not help

Double pricing appears in more ways than just farang and locals...eg if u carry a credit card issued in a local country or has a HSBC home and away program you get discounts at retailers and attractions holidays...u get points for for airmiles and if u have elite status , you get more perks fact of life

So walk away if the price is too much ...it's the same in Chiang Mai ...you can go to rimping, tops, big c Tesco or Marko it's a choice

Be happy and enjoy guys...lots here in Thailand we enjoy for the pricing :-) I just went for my regular 2 hrs massage for $7 ...kkkkk would have paid 15 times over in USA :-)

Nearly went to Splash Jungle water park, Mai Khao yesterday. We called to ask the prices first. Thai's B500. Foreigner B1500.

Didn't go in the end, not just out of principle but $50 entrance fee for a very small waterpark is very expensive in comparison to others i've been to. Wet n wild in Orlando Florida is $49 but its literally 80 times the size.... TITwai.gif

Their website says...

• Splash Jungle Entrance Rates:
  • Adult THB 1,295.00 per day
  • Children THB 650.00 (Child : 5-12 years old)
  • Below 5 years old No Charge

A bigtime operation like that should be able to have information updated on a timely basis.

When are people going to learn and not come to Thailand? Yeah right.

3 things are sure.

Westerners are going to continue coming to Thailand in their millions.

Thais are going to smile and take as much as their money as they can.

People are going to moan on internet forums.

Is it lunch time yet?

get a room and enjoy over the weekend, 2500thb a night, and you get 2 "free" tickets to Splash Jungle, did this 6 months ago..

Price discrimination (charging lower/higher prices to groups of customers with lower/higher average spending power) is economically rational as it maximises profit and widens access to products/services/attractions to lower income groups (compared to the optimal one price solution).

Lower prices for locals exist everywhere, even in the UK, albeit in most countries they are better disguised / more sophisticated, than in Thailand. Moreover, in Western countries the economic rationale is less clear as the average spending power of the locals isn't massively lower than the average tourist.

PS: 500 baht is 400% higher than 100 baht, not 500%.

There's a difference between having lower price for locals and higher price for tourist and phuket(or thailand's) price

Everything touristy in thailand cost pretty much the same as in monaco nowadays while being dirty, cheap and unsafe.

Just like the whores for the old men. 3000-6000 for the night? you'd get a clean educated woman speaking your language fluently back home for that price.

There's a difference between having lower price for locals and higher price for tourist and phuket(or thailand's) price

Everything touristy in thailand cost pretty much the same as in monaco nowadays while being dirty, cheap and unsafe.

Just like the whores for the old men. 3000-6000 for the night? you'd get a clean educated woman speaking your language fluently back home for that price.

Maybe they upped the price when they saw you? Wouldn't really know though, I haven't been shopping in years!

The theory on the dual pricing I have heard is that most Thais don't make nearly as much as a foreign tourist. While I agree that's true, is still doesn't seem right.

How much does the driver of the mercedes in front or behind you have to pay....?

Come on, what percentage of Thais have a Mercedes? If you're a tourist you'll pay more than a local in many places in the world. As said before, get yourself a Thai DL or don't go if you have such a hard time with paying more.

On a little side note, YES most Mercedes drivers in Phuket are Thai.

According to the sales statistics of the grey import car dealers ( along the bypass road ) more then 75 % of the luxury cars are sold to Thai's.

A lot of my thai friends drive in (very) expensive cars which i can't effort.

But to come back to the topic i refuse already for many years to bring any costumers to Phuket Zoo because the way they treat the animals and via via i know the Thai owners of the Zoo and they give a rat ass about the welfare of the animals and then i don't mention the double prizing yet.

Edited by merijn

The theory on the dual pricing I have heard is that most Thais don't make nearly as much as a foreign tourist. While I agree that's true, is still doesn't seem right.

How much does the driver of the mercedes in front or behind you have to pay....?

Come on, what percentage of Thais have a Mercedes? If you're a tourist you'll pay more than a local in many places in the world. As said before, get yourself a Thai DL or don't go if you have such a hard time with paying more.

Thats not quite true, a large percentage of tourists that visit National Parks etc that have dual pricing are gap year students and are probably 2 Million Baht in debt with student loans, whereas look at the car park, its full of Mercs, Bmw's and Camrys that are owned by the Thai visitors. A 10 Baht premium ok but 5 or 10 times as much is outrageous. It wont change so the only thing to do is avoid these places which as we know many do.

Edited by PattayaPhom

• 8 months later...

The skin tax is definitely discrimination at it's finest. I could rant for so long about it. I do get giving locals a discount, as I would pump more money into local businesses if it wasn't so expensive for these kinds of "entertaining" activities, but being that they cost the same as they would back home and they are only half as good... no thank you! Those are huge rip-offs! What really gets me about the phuket zoo is the cost of 500thb which is around the same price you would pay for world-class zoo's with healthy looking animals and a nice place to spend your afternoon.

After reading reviews and seeing photos I can't believe they charge what they do and have it look like such crap with terrible conditions for the animals. Thai labor is dirt cheap but yet there is trash everywhere? I definitely wont be paying a visit here for reasons of skin tax, conditions of the animals, and cleanliness of the park. Looks like a HUGE RIPOFF!

• Like 1

Not a chance of that happening, not as long as the .. bedrock of the tourism industry remains sound; pimped prostitution and catalogued companion wives.

It enables poor governance and racist policies.

That zoo should be the target of an expat animal cruelty protest. It's not politics so would be legal.

Went once what a filthy disgusting place, I also made the mistake of visiting Chiangmai zoo, a little better but not much have to get a 'bus' around the attractions, plus the usual discriminatory entrance fee.
Entrance Fee
Foreigners - Adult: 100 Baht, Child (less than 135 cm in height):
50 Baht
Thais - Adult: 50 Baht,
Teacher, soldier, policeman (in uniform): 30 Baht,
Child (less than 135 cm.): 10 Baht,
Senior citizen, people with disability, and monk: Free of charge

Interesting thing here is that I saw a disabled falang being charged an entry fee!
Makes me want to vomit sick.gif
I hope their tourist industry collapses.

Edited by EBlair48