Latest 9Th Gen Civic Vs Latest Ford Focus

Hi guys+gals!

Looking to buy the below-mentioned 2 newly launched models..

Latest 9th gen Honda Civic 1.8S (AT) vs Latest Ford Focus 1.6 Trend

Civic-828000thb,Focus-829000thb

141bhp vs 125bhp

1800cc vs 1600cc

I know the resale value of Honda is unbeatable when compared to the Ford.

Which ride would you go for?

Let me already clarify one point: the 1.6 Focus will not be available before next year.

Obviously, Honda will carry the favors of the Thai buyers, and Ford much less.

Beyond that no better advice than to test drive both and go for the one which seems the best for you.

If both are comparable and resale value is an all-important criterion, go for Honda. If driving quality is the key, then the Ford seems to be the best of the two.

Will test drive the Civic later in the afternoon..and perhaps the Focus immediately after to have a feel of it.

Thanks..appreciate your fast reply!

Keep us posted as to your driving experience... This is bound to interest other forum members. thumbsup.gif

Finally tested the 1.8 Civic in...the compound of the Sukhumvit Honda Showroom next to Ekkamai BTS Stn!?<deleted>!?

The SE selling Honda cars suck-I would say...That i was not allowed to drive the car out on the road as it's peak hours there?The consolation was i could drive my brand new car out of the showroom in 3 days if i confirm now.

Well,the very,very brief test drive of the Honda City 1.8 had me impressed actually..the feel of the drive itself and it's impeccable resale value in thai had won me more than 50% over.Perhaps the brand of Honda itself sells..not the SE actually...anyone can squeeze a better deal?I was only given tinted window films,reverse sensors+number plate registration fee...

However,gotta see how much they will be taking in my Year 2000 registered CRV...Anyone intrested here?

Don't think i'll be testing the ford focus 1.6 as 1.8 will be a better choice for frequent up country runs...:)...Sorry to disappoint u guyz!

Good that the drive impresses you. However, the focus available is the 2.0. Might still worth trying. With regard to the 1.6 it is mother available yet.

For the offer, have it put down in writing... and run to another dealer. ;) You must make them compete... Then only can you clinch the best deal.... one of my friends was able to clinch leather seats for a civic (free of charge obviously).

You can even tell them you are comparing with Ford which is so much better... lol

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

I always get good customer service at Honda Pathum Thani - last time took my car for a service I asked to test drive the brio - a good long drive. I would try some other dealers to get a good test drive. I have the 7th gen, but this new one looks kinda boring to me. Nothing all that wrong with it, but it's starting to look a bit like an altis. The focus is much more appealing and I think it will sell well so resale shouldn't be a problem. I'd look at the 2.0 focus if I was in the market for a new sedan.

Somewhere in Bangkok, but I don't recall where exactly. However, it is up to you to negotiate and shop around. Don't be satisfied with one place alone! Be critical, and compare to other brands. The less brand loyalty is perceived, the more they will be willing to go out of their way to get the sale...

In general, the longer the finance period, the higher specced car you are buying, the more you can demand (dealers make a commission on finance as well).

It also all depends on the period and the demand for that specific car. If there is a lot of demand, you will not have a lot of leverage.

Well,i think the latest Civic is a pretty new car in thai which was just launched 3 months ago..so i don't think i will get a lot of leverage on this.

Plus the fact that another friend of mine had booked the same model albeit with a little bit more acessories thrown in will get her ride only in Dec!I will get mine in 3 days!I think most probably is the SE knows that she can deliver the car in 3 days so not much other options was given to me...:(..

Try asking elsewhere. I had a very bad offer at a dealership in Silom... where they would not offer me much... compared to other places. Visit at least two others... tell them you got better elsewhere and ask them to give you an offer in writing. When you go to a new place... show the previous offer and be pushy.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Well,i think the latest Civic is a pretty new car in thai which was just launched 3 months ago..so i don't think i will get a lot of leverage on this.

Plus the fact that another friend of mine had booked the same model albeit with a little bit more acessories thrown in will get her ride only in Dec!I will get mine in 3 days!I think most probably is the SE knows that she can deliver the car in 3 days so not much other options was given to me...sad.png..

I find a dealership with qualified people I like and trust that has a decent service department and deal with them. Unlike the US, the price is pretty much the same everywhere except for whatever cheesy freebie (often useless) stick-on trinkets they offer and I can do without those.

Does no one here put any value on decent service?

Plus the fact that another friend of mine had booked the same model albeit with a little bit more acessories thrown in will get her ride only in Dec!I will get mine in 3 days!I think most probably is the SE knows that she can deliver the car in 3 days so not much other options was given to me...sad.png..

It's a mild facelift which in my opinion Honda completely failed with the rear end as they did with the previous Accord .

• 4 weeks later...
For those interested, here is a US comparison of Focus vs. Civic: http://www.caranddri...comparison-test

Thanks for the link but thai's Civic is "tropicalised" for the climate in Thai and might be a lil different...

Well, here is a more complete review of the 'tropicalized' Civic:

http://paultan.org/2012/06/27/honda-civic-fb-test-drive-review/

For those interested, here is a US comparison of Focus vs. Civic: http://www.caranddri...comparison-test

Thanks for the link but thai's Civic is "tropicalised" for the climate in Thai and might be a lil different...

Well, here is a more complete review of the 'tropicalized' Civic:

http://paultan.org/2012/06/27/honda-civic-fb-test-drive-review/

Thanks..I've since read that and it promotes the 2.0 litre option more..not the 1.8..:(

• Like 1

Finally tested the 1.8 Civic in...the compound of the Sukhumvit Honda Showroom next to Ekkamai BTS Stn!?<deleted>!?

The SE selling Honda cars suck-I would say...That i was not allowed to drive the car out on the road as it's peak hours there?The consolation was i could drive my brand new car out of the showroom in 3 days if i confirm now.

Well,the very,very brief test drive of the Honda City 1.8 had me impressed actually..the feel of the drive itself and it's impeccable resale value in thai had won me more than 50% over.Perhaps the brand of Honda itself sells..not the SE actually...anyone can squeeze a better deal?I was only given tinted window films,reverse sensors+number plate registration fee...

However,gotta see how much they will be taking in my Year 2000 registered CRV...Anyone intrested here?

Don't think i'll be testing the ford focus 1.6 as 1.8 will be a better choice for frequent up country runs...smile.png...Sorry to disappoint u guyz!

So you ask everyones opinion about these two cars, probably aware that the Ford has beter reviews, drive the Honda around a car park and then buy it without testing the other you were said you were interested in? No, I'm not disappointed as what you drive is irrelevant to me, but confused as to why the post in the first place? Exhuberance about a new car perhaps?

I test drove a 1.8 Civic last week, wanted to drive the 2.0 , but they didn't have any. Got a 10 minute test drive round the block mostly on small sois with speed humps and one road big enough to put your foot down for a short while.

The car, it's bland. It maybe a sensible choice on reliability and resale value, but it's bland.

The interior looks so cheap. The leather doesn't fit the seats. It looks like it was made by a bad kit car maker in his shed. Not to mention some of the dashboard looking so plasticy and cheap. It looked very 80's. Not to mention the interior colour. It's like something your grand parents would have had in the eighties.

The brakes aren't that good and the steering just feels of nothing.

The one I tested was auto and had no semi auto. As well as no folding seats.

The power in the 1.8 isn't really enough for the weight of the car. My wifes old city seems to accelerate quicker. Maybe the 2.0l would be better.

If the engine isn't revy in a Honda what's left except blandness?

The previous gen was better looking. They could have done something decent with this car, but this car reverts back to Hondas of the eighties that virtually no one under 60 wanted to buy.

Just before I drove this I had probably at least half an hours test drive in a Mitsubishi 1.8 ex gls. I wanted to test drive the 2.0 Ex GT but again they didn't have one to test, just one in the showroom. The 1.8 is a bit under powered again due to the weight, but it's alright. Hopefully the 2.0l is better as it's what I'm going to get.

Everything about the car looks so much better and better made. You get more for less money than with the Civic although I'm comparing the 2.0GT in the showroom to a 1.8 civic. The steering has much better feel over the Honda and the engine well you actually knew it was there. Brakes are much better and my wife who was in the back said the ride was much better. Saying the Honda was choppy and jerky.

Anyone know what the free extra body kit on the 2.0 GT looks like, apparently it's lower than normal ? I don't want something that's going to break on speed humps and that I can't see before it's on the car.This is my only gripe about the service of the Mitsubishi dealer (except not having a 2.0 to test drive)- How can you chose whether you want something or not if you can't see it. Not even a picture. Really ? They couldn't even get a picture ? Same with the colours.

Edited by arthurwait

Don't think i'll be testing the ford focus 1.6 as 1.8 will be a better choice for frequent up country runs...smile.png...Sorry to disappoint u guyz!

So you ask everyones opinion about these two cars, probably aware that the Ford has beter reviews, drive the Honda around a car park and then buy it without testing the other you were said you were interested in? No, I'm not disappointed as what you drive is irrelevant to me, but confused as to why the post in the first place? Exhuberance about a new car perhaps?

Well..this is a forum and everyone is supposed to post what he/she wanted to know from other forummers?

I didn't test drive the Ford as it would be unfair to compare a 1.6 vs 1.8 which i felt having a 1.8 in engine capacity road-tax free thai is more worth it for up-country runs.Plus the fact that I had read in other forums the dual-clutched Ford's powershift transmission had some bugs and gripes about it as well.(Same fate as VW's DSG?)

You need not feel confused because what I had finally settled for is totally irrelevant to you.I posted to see if there are any REAL owners of these both rides but seemed to me there is none.

Exhuberance about a new car?It's not as if I had not owned a new car before..I'm merely enthusiastic when it comes to cars..brand me an enthusiast if u like.:)

I test drove a 1.8 Civic last week, wanted to drive the 2.0 , but they didn't have any. Got a 10 minute test drive round the block mostly on small sois with speed humps and one road big enough to put your foot down for a short while.

The car, it's bland. It maybe a sensible choice on reliability and resale value, but it's bland.

The interior looks so cheap. The leather doesn't fit the seats. It looks like it was made by a bad kit car maker in his shed. Not to mention some of the dashboard looking so plasticy and cheap. It looked very 80's. Not to mention the interior colour. It's like something your grand parents would have had in the eighties.

The power in the 1.8 isn't really enough for the weight of the car. My wifes old city seems to accelerate quicker. Maybe the 2.0l would be better.

Dashboard looking plasticky+cheap like in the 80's?Do we see a 2-tier digital dashboard in any of Honda's car in the 80's?Or any other makes?That's exaggeration...

Mine does come with folding seats at the rear or did u really explore on how to fold down the seats?The city is lighter and might have a better power-to-weight ratio which explains why u might feel the City is quicker off the start.Furthermore-The civic u had tested might had only clocked a few hundred KMs and just hasn't loosen it's engine yet.

1 thing i do agree with you that the civic is boringly bland..but bland has it's reliability in it..like toyota..if u like a bit of character,like Alfa-Romeos,be prepared for nitty-gritty problems here and there and might not be as reliable as the bland ones out there.

No worries as I am no thaicruze out there defending my choice of ride..no car out there is perfect for everyone..u just take the ride that suits u more..:)

The only one that can answer this is you after you test drive them.

You're basically comparing an overpriced hunk of shit, and a ridiculously priced 1.6L Ford.

Personally, I wouldn't buy either if that's your budget and if you don't want other brands. Just walk into the Honda dealer and get the cheapest City and save some money.

Edited by thaicruze

Anyone here gotten delivery of the Focus Trend 1.6 here?

Care to share your experience of the ride?

AFAIK,

The 1.6 models won't be available until next year.

Regards

Will

Oh i see..thx for your valuable information..as it won't be available till next year and i need the ride urgently..it will be my another reason for the Civic with immediate delivery within 3 days.

The only one that can answer this is you after you test drive them.

You're basically comparing an overpriced hunk of shit, and a ridiculously priced 1.6L Ford.

Personally, I wouldn't buy either if that's your budget and if you don't want other brands. Just walk into the Honda dealer and get the cheapest City and save some money.

Oh..there you are thaicruze..I thought you had disappeared!

Overpriced hunk of shit to u?To me-It's cheap!Wait till u compare the price over at Thai's neighbouring countries-Malaysia+Singapore-U'll faint for sure.

Yes-I agree with u ford's price for the trend 1.6 IS RIDICULOUSLY HIGH at 1000thb more than bigger engine displacement Civic and had to wait till next year?

The City?Forget about the City coz u don't see any City being imported into the states or any of the european countries for they have stringent euro Ncap crash test to adhere to.U should know why...

Cheers!

If the civic has become as bland as the altis, why not just get a 2.0 altis? It has a good cvt , with very good fuel consumption for its engine size. From the pics of the civic, I really don't like the dashboard - it reminded me of the plastic dash in the brio I test drove. Honestly, they could have improved the 9th gen over the 8th, but sadly they didn't.

The new 2.0 civic is quite a bit better to drive over the 1.8, based on the Paul Tan report. He tested the civic and found it to drive well and brake well, and the 2.0 is quite a bit faster than the 1.8. He said it drove better than the 8th gen, but personally I don't like the styling of the new model. The rear looks like an accord and the lenses on the trunk look out of place. Each to his own I guess. It will still sell well.

Dashboard looking plasticky+cheap like in the 80's?Do we see a 2-tier digital dashboard in any of Honda's car in the 80's?Or any other makes?That's exaggeration...

Mine does come with folding seats at the rear or did u really explore on how to fold down the seats?The city is lighter and might have a better power-to-weight ratio which explains why u might feel the City is quicker off the start.Furthermore-The civic u had tested might had only clocked a few hundred KMs and just hasn't loosen it's engine yet.

1 thing i do agree with you that the civic is boringly bland..but bland has it's reliability in it..like toyota..if u like a bit of character,like Alfa-Romeos,be prepared for nitty-gritty problems here and there and might not be as reliable as the bland ones out there.

No worries as I am no thaicruze out there defending my choice of ride..no car out there is perfect for everyone..u just take the ride that suits u more..smile.png

The car certainly didn't have folding seats and the salesman said no civic had them. ermm.gif He didn't seem to put much effort into his job.

Ignore the two tier dash and the rest of the dash looks cheap.

Certainly no car is perfect especially when the choice is so limited here and expensive here. crying.gif