What Makes The Best Bike?

snowflake

In almost every thread here that last for longer than 2 pages the people come with this bike is better than that...

What makes the best bike? For me, it is a bike that is comfortable, reliable, semi fast (cruise at 150kmph), easy handling (flickable), and very subjective- The looks...

so what is it? is it a cruiser? is it the famous CBR250? is it the ER6n or f? is it a multistrada? is it a HARLEY? a dirt bike?

I currently have the ER6F- which is brilliant, still, I am contemplating and for sure I will change that bike soon, but what is better? The top runner is currently the Z1000- with the new KTM duke 690 running a close 2nd, Versys 3rd, 4th ducati M79, and so on... Each bike has it's own strenghts and weaknesses, pros and cons...

But what do you think is the best bike? and how can you say that a bike is better for someone... Some people only likes to play in the dirt, some likes the roads, some likes dual, and some likes the city, a few has it as a track day tool, how can you claim that some bike is better than another when it is so individual...

For the record, nothing beaths the CBR250 in town, but since I am on the highway alot, then the ER6 is better for me. I love both bikes, but still I want to change, why? how come? grass is greener on the other side of the fence? Silly me I guess, but what does the lot of you think?

What is the best bike? for you!

The best bike is the one that suits you personally. There can be no 'best bike' for everyone.

Personally, I love my HD. I still have a few more things I'd like to change to make it perfect for me, but it's pretty dam_n close now. It is the first bike I've owned from new and I plan never to sell it. BUt I still want to have a flat tracker style sportster, a street fightered R1/GSXR and a trail bike to make my stable complete....maybe a Click for popping down to the shops also! :P

There is, as you mentioned, no 'best bike'. The best bike would have the power of the 1000 RR but the economy of the CBR 150. It would have the soulful note of an 1198 but the reliability of a Ninja 250. It would have the low end grunt and high end rush of the Speed Triple. Would have the comfort of a Harley seat that still allowed one to move around like on an R1. Would have all the technological advances of the Buell 1190RS but the simplicity of the W800. It would have the most current styling but the timelessness of the Royal Enfield. Would excel in the city but be eminently capable for the long haul with the option to go lite off road like the BMW GS series....design that bike for the cost of an ER-6* and you'll have many buyers.

The best bike is the one that suits you personally. There can be no 'best bike' for everyone.

Personally, I love my HD. I still have a few more things I'd like to change to make it perfect for me, but it's pretty dam_n close now. It is the first bike I've owned from new and I plan never to sell it. BUt I still want to have a flat tracker style sportster, a street fightered R1/GSXR and a trail bike to make my stable complete....maybe a Click for popping down to the shops also! tongue.png

+1

Like others said, it's the one that you like.

There is an exception tho: bikes that you will inevitably burn your foot/leg

against the pipes is NOT a candidate for "best bike".

For primarily city driving, avoid wide handle bars

For me HD. I enjoy mine and am looking for another soon. But it depends on the riding you like as well. If you are an offroad kind of guy pick a dirt bike. If you like to race then a Sports Bike. Everyone has their own style and thats what makes Bikes so much cooler than Cars in my mind.

Honda Cup ~ Honda Dream/Wave, most sold bike in the world I think I read somewhere,which means that its the bestbiggrin.png . Well okay people don't buy them because of the perforamce off course but they are cheap to buy and on fuel and very very robust.

My PCX 150 is perfect for me right now, good in Pattaya traffic, app. 45km/l & fairly good acceleration up to about 70 km/h and comfortable too.

My dream choice: HD Sportster 48 1200cc, its sooo sexy looking but really impractical in almost all regards but I don't really care about that, he-hethumbsup.gif .

Honda Cup ~ Honda Dream/Wave, most sold bike in the world I think I read somewhere,which means that its the bestbiggrin.png . Well okay people don't buy them because of the perforamce off course but they are cheap to buy and on fuel and very very robust.

My PCX 150 is perfect for me right now, good in Pattaya traffic, app. 45km/l & fairly good acceleration up to about 70 km/h and comfortable too.

My dream choice: HD Sportster 48 1200cc, its sooo sexy looking but really impractical in almost all regards but I don't really care about that, he-hethumbsup.gif .

With so many petrol stations in Pattaya that tiny fuel tank won't be a problem :) A Thai guy in my neighbourhood has got one and actually rides it through Bangkok to work everyday.

I love my gsxr600 because it's light, fast and agile. The only drawback with the supersport bikes is the riding position which is great on the fast open road, but it can be a bit 'extreme' around town. If I was allowed one bike only for a multiple of uses it would be a Triumph Street Triple R.

Fast, comfortable, agile, looks and sounds great. Only drawback would be comfort at high speeds. There's really no bike that covers everything but that would be as close as possible for my type of riding.

You should ask, "What is the best bike for the money?" I have a 2010 ER6n, and have doubled the price of it with added accessories I imported from the US. I am satisfied with it. But it doesn't hold a candle to the 2004 BMW R1150R I had back in the States. The former's suspension is okay, but relative to the BMW, it's more like the suspension of a horse drawn carriage -- even with the Ohlins rear shock upgrade.

That said, I simply can see paying over $32,000 (1,000,000 baht) for a motorcycle that costs $12,000 (378,000 baht) in the States. Every time I rode the thing I would feel like I had a custom seat sporting a very long and erect dildo.

How can I compare the ER6n, with which I am satisfied, to liter bikes costing 2-4 times as much. Can't. If somebody says the CBR250 is best, that's obviously a relative statement as opposed to an absolute statement.

In conclusion, I guess the best is what Black Artemis said. I smile every time I ride my ER. I have it decked out the way I want it (others would perhaps label it ugly). I ride it everywhere, and love it. I seek any excuse to get on it. It's the most fun thing in my life and I never get tired of it. Okay, enough of this. I need to get off here and ride into town to buy a turnip.

Edited by TongueThaied
  • Like 1

Nahh, moa666... You cant say only that.... What if you won the lottery, money not really an object- then what would the best bike be?

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect App

As I said what you can afford which can change at a moments notice. Dreaming about the best bike is another thing altogether. Edited by moe666

I love my gsxr600 because it's light, fast and agile. The only drawback with the supersport bikes is the riding position which is great on the fast open road, but it can be a bit 'extreme' around town. If I was allowed one bike only for a multiple of uses it would be a Triumph Street Triple R.

Fast, comfortable, agile, looks and sounds great. Only drawback would be comfort at high speeds. There's really no bike that covers everything but that would be as close as possible for my type of riding.

Is your GSXR 600 pre 2008? I'm looking into the 2008 and up model right now. Powerband is suppose to be wider and pitches better.

I didn't realize how huge my SV 650 was until i sat on a ZX6R and R6 the other day.

Is your GSXR 600 pre 2008? I'm looking into the 2008 and up model right now. Powerband is suppose to be wider and pitches better.

I didn't realize how huge my SV 650 was until i sat on a ZX6R and R6 the other day.

Yes it's a 2005 model. Well known for being fantastic in terms of handling (it's feels totally planted in the corners and it's extremely light) but the motor wasn't as strong as some of the others that year. It's plenty fast enough for me though, about 98hp I think.

Yes it's a 2005 model. Well known for being fantastic in terms of handling (it's feels totally planted in the corners and it's extremely light) but the motor wasn't as strong as some of the others that year. It's plenty fast enough for me though, about 98hp I think.

2005 titanium valves :) ...use to have a 2000 and that thing was a boat. Going to have to look back into them, looks like things have changed since then.

So a few replies to this question- many good and to the point answers... I am impressed that noone has taken the piss out of thedifferent bikes here...

So my follow up, since we all agree it depends from person to person- and usage- why do we feel the need to joke about people who rides a bike we dont like/want? Is it to make ourselves feel better or is it an attempt to make them change their minds about riding their pride and joy?

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect App