Travel Insurance Vs Health Insurance To Aust

I'm a little confused as to what insurance to get for my father during his visit to Australia. He will be on a 1 year M/E visa so intially we are aiming for a 3 month stay.

I believe both Travel and Health Insurances will cover him for any emergency or unexpected hospital stays so what do you guys think is the best way to go?

Can any share their experiences and which company they would recommend? Also, if my father returns to Thailand earlier, can we get a refund of the unused portion of either insurance? Thanks.

Edited by missymoo

When my gf visits Australia, because she was working and contributing to a Health Insurance Scheme in Thailand that was sufficient for her Travel and Health Insurance needs without purchasing additional cover specifically for the trip.

From what I remember, your Father's health is less then ideal?

He may have some difficulty in purchasing Health/Travel Insurance if there is a pre-existing chronic condition.

One area on this Forum network that might help you is the Health, Body and Medicine Forum. As with 7by7 and his Visa Advice, the Mod there Sheryl is well regarded and seems willing to answer all questions.