Booze, Obesity Cause Most Early Deaths Among Thais

webfact

Increased weight is caused by increased energy intake (from food and drink), decreased physical activity or a combination of both.

No.

Why No? If fats that a person has eaten aren't burned as energy or used as building blocks, they are stored by the body in fat cells.(Fats, or lipids, are nutrients in food that the body uses to build cell membranes, nerve tissue (like the brain), and hormones. The body also uses fat as fuel)

Edited by ozziebloke

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Increased weight is caused by increased energy intake (from food and drink), decreased physical activity or a combination of both.

No.

Why No? If fats that a person has eaten aren't burned as energy or used as building blocks, they are stored by the body in fat cells.(Fats, or lipids, are nutrients in food that the body uses to build cell membranes, nerve tissue (like the brain), and hormones. The body also uses fat as fuel)

Simply because you don't understand the role of insulin and the differences in calories. You're stuck in a misapplied, invalid Law Of Thermodynamics calories in/calories out mode. Suggest much more research.

Edited by JSixpack

No.

Simply because you don't understand the role of insulin and the differences in calories. You're stuck in a misapplied, invalid Law Of Thermodynamics calories in/calories out mode. Suggest much more research.

I would like to know your credentials to dismiss what people have been saying ? I have done some research and I still find the same conclusions as i have stated. Energy is required for the normal functioning of the organs in the body. Many tissues can also use fat or protein as an energy source but others, such as the brain and red blood cells, can only use glucose. I stated that If fats that a person has eaten aren't burned as energy or used as building blocks, they are stored by the body in fat cells. If that is not true point to where it will educate me as to that

Thais have always loved to eat, come miday and everything grinds to a halt whilst the whole country pigs out. They don't eat because they are hungry they eat because the clock tells them to. They seem to have some superstitious fear if the clock strikes 12.30 p.m and they haven't eaten they will drop dead. It is not a simple low calorie salad sandwich they have, it is normally a high calorie meal, something fried or high in fats.

They won't walk 20 metres to restuarant or roadside vendor they will ride the motorbike. Between meals meals they have snacks of sticky rice with deep fried pork or deep fried banana or porkballs on a stick. Now we see places like McDonalds, Hungry Jacks and KFC springing up everywhere and doing great business. I have never seen anyone here in Thailand buy a salad at these places.

Myself personally I eat when I am hungry and I am of these people who are lucky enough to have a good metabolism and I can eat what ever I want without fear of wieght gain. (been 83 kgs (185cm) for the last 20 yrs) I do exercise a lot also and ensure that my 5 yr old spends a lot of time at play outside also.

I learned pretty quickly that 12 noon was the Thai Holy hour and not to attempt to bank/shop/book a ticket etc at this time as everyone goes off to eat together, and all points in between, takeaways are brought in. Some of the banks have at last cottoned on and introduced 12 and 1pm lunch hours. However, the rest of them never seem to stop eating. You're right in that they never walk anywhere. And the farang get the 'lardarse' label! All the Thais do is bloody eat. And the more 'deep fried' the better.

I have a Thai friend currently diagnosed with the killer high cholesterol. When I saw him a couple of months after being diagnosed, he was trim and looking great. I saw him a week ago and the weight's piling back on, but he told me 'no problem' he'd just shelled out several thousand baht on some US herbal medicine, rather than reverting to his doctor's recommended low fat diet. It doesn't bode well and very worrying. He's a nice guy at the wrong age.

Edited by silsburyhill

I would like to know your credentials to dismiss what people have been saying ?

Ah, well, I read books, including academic books, not comics and internet snippets, and my education allows me to understand them. I'm not an alternative health nut or conspiracy theorist. My father a severe diabetic for most of his abbreviated life, I took an early interest in health matters. It's served me well.

I have done some research and I still find the same conclusions as i have stated. Energy is required for the normal functioning of the organs in the body. Many tissues can also use fat or protein as an energy source but others, such as the brain and red blood cells, can only use glucose. I stated that If fats that a person has eaten aren't burned as energy or used as building blocks, they are stored by the body in fat cells. If that is not true point to where it will educate me as to that

That's not what you said. You said, "Increased weight is caused by increased energy intake (from food and drink) [no], decreased physical activity [no] or a combination of both [no]."

Later, you ignored the critical difference in carbs and fats--and insulin regulation.

It's obvious your statement can't be true because

• you can eat a low calorie, low fat diet yet still get fat regardless of activity;
  • you can eat a high calorie, high fat diet yet not get fat regardless of activity;
  • exercise often has no effect on weight or may even increase the tendency to gain weight.

Controlled scientific studies, as opposed to anecdotes, opinions, and surveys, support this. You can see references to such studies in one of my posts above.

On exercise, for example, fairly recently, "after all these decades of study, American Heart Association and the American College of Sports Medicine published joint guidelines for physical activity and health. . . . [And] the best they could say about the relationship between fat and exercise was this: “It is reasonable to assume [assume!] that persons with relatively high daily energy expenditures would be less likely to gain weight over time, compared with those who have low energy expenditures. So far, data to support this hypothesis are not particularly compelling.”

Here are some introductory vids and an article to educate you. By the time you finish them, assuming you can, you'll understand that increased weight is caused by insulin regulation, which depends neither on sheer amount of caloric intake nor on physical activity, contrary to your belief. They'll lead you to some serious research and examples to prove this, plus a large body of supporting testimony, if you care to read them.

And you'll understand exactly why Thais are having problems w/ obesity and diabetes, which has nothing to do with the McDonald's-KFC-Starbucks-TV-computer games-disposable diaper-asphalt jungle myth repeated ad nauseum on this forum.

The Scientist And The Stairmaster

Edited by JSixpack

Ah, well, I read books, including academic books, not comics and internet snippets, and my education allows me to understand them. I'm not an alternative health nut or conspiracy theorist. My father a severe diabetic for most of his abbreviated life, I took an early interest in health matters. It's served me well.

I have done some research and I still find the same conclusions as i have stated. Energy is required for the normal functioning of the organs in the body. Many tissues can also use fat or protein as an energy source but others, such as the brain and red blood cells, can only use glucose. I stated that If fats that a person has eaten aren't burned as energy or used as building blocks, they are stored by the body in fat cells. If that is not true point to where it will educate me as to that

That's not what you said. You said, "Increased weight is caused by increased energy intake (from food and drink) [no], decreased physical activity [no] or a combination of both [no]."

Later, you ignored the critical difference in carbs and fats--and insulin regulation.

• you can eat a low calorie, low fat diet yet still get fat regardless of activity;
  • you can eat a high calorie, high fat diet yet not get fat regardless of activity;
  • exercise often has no effect on weight or may even increase the tendency to gain weight.

Controlled scientific studies, as opposed to anecdotes, opinions, and surveys, support this. You can see references to such studies in one of my posts above.

On exercise, for example, fairly recently, "after all these decades of study, American Heart Association and the American College of Sports Medicine published joint guidelines for physical activity and health. . . . [And] the best they could say about the relationship between fat and exercise was this: “It is reasonable to assume [assume!] that persons with relatively high daily energy expenditures would be less likely to gain weight over time, compared with those who have low energy expenditures. So far, data to support this hypothesis are not particularly compelling.”

Here are some introductory vids and an article to educate you. By the time you finish them, assuming you can, you'll understand that increased weight is caused by insulin regulation, which depends neither on sheer amount of caloric intake nor on physical activity, contrary to your belief. They'll lead you to some serious research and examples to prove this, plus a large body of supporting testimony, if you care to read them.

And you'll understand exactly why Thais are having problems w/ obesity and diabetes, which has nothing to do with the McDonald's-KFC-Starbucks-TV-computer games-disposable diaper-asphalt jungle myth repeated ad nauseum on this forum.

Lovely arrogent reply! I didn't know that you knew who I was personally and about my life ,Activities and education. I will discontinue this discussion with you as it is clear that you are far superier to myself on the knowledge of obesity!

Cheers

Lovely arrogent reply! I didn't know that you knew who I was personally and about my life ,Activities and education. I will discontinue this discussion with you as it is clear that you are far superier to myself on the knowledge of obesity!

Cheers

He's hilarious, although it would appear completely unable to provide a straight answer without going on about reading books and dubious web links.

Just treat him as such.

The American Heart Association indeed. There's an oxymoron if ever I've heard one.

• Like 1

http://www.who.int/m...heets/fs311/en/

What causes obesity and overweight?

The fundamental cause of obesity and overweight is an energy imbalance between calories consumed and calories expended. Globally, there has been:

• an increased intake of energy-dense foods that are high in fat, salt and sugars but low in vitamins, minerals and other micronutrients; and
  • a decrease in physical activity due to the increasingly sedentary nature of many forms of work, changing modes of transportation, and increasing urbanization.

Changes in dietary and physical activity patterns are often the result of environmental and societal changes associated with development and lack of supportive policies in sectors such as health, agriculture, transport, urban planning, environment, food processing, distribution, marketing and education.

Facing a double burden of disease

Many low- and middle-income countries are now facing a "double burden" of disease.

• While they continue to deal with the problems of infectious disease and under-nutrition, they are experiencing a rapid upsurge in noncommunicable disease risk factors such as obesity and overweight, particularly in urban settings.
  • It is not uncommon to find under-nutrition and obesity existing side-by-side within the same country, the same community and the same household.

Children in low- and middle-income countries are more vulnerable to inadequate pre-natal, infant and young child nutrition At the same time, they are exposed to high-fat, high-sugar, high-salt, energy-dense, micronutrient-poor foods, which tend to be lower in cost. These dietary patterns in conjunction with low levels of physical activity, result in sharp increases in childhood obesity while undernutrition issues remain unsolved.

How can overweight and obesity be reduced?

Overweight and obesity, as well as their related noncommunicable diseases, are largely preventable. Supportive environments and communities are fundamental in shaping people’s choices, making the healthier choice of foods and regular physical activity the easiest choice, and therefore preventing obesity.

At the individual level, people can:

• limit energy intake from total fats;
  • increase consumption of fruit and vegetables, as well as legumes, whole grains and nuts;
  • limit the intake of sugars;
  • engage in regular physical activity;
  • achieve energy balance and a healthy weight.

Individual responsibility can only have its full effect where people have access to a healthy lifestyle. Therefore, at the societal level it is important to:

• support individuals in following the recommendations above, through sustained political commitment and the collaboration of many public and private stakeholders;
  • make regular physical activity and healthier dietary patterns affordable and easily accessible too all - especially the poorest individuals.

The food industry can play a significant role in promoting healthy diets by:

• reducing the fat, sugar and salt content of processed foods;
  • ensuring that healthy and nutritious choices are available and affordable to all consumers;
  • practicing responsible marketing;
  • ensuring the availability of healthy food choices and supporting regular physical activity practice in the workplace.

Edited by Reasonableman
  • Like 2

He's hilarious

Thank you! As I noted, I'm mostly just having a laugh, as you can't change any ingrained beliefs around here. Did you imagine I give a shit about what you believe? I'm doing great myself.

, although it would appear completely unable to provide a straight answer without going on about reading books and dubious web links.

Indeed, going on about reading books. smile.png Well, I figure it's better for you to learn potty training for yourself rather than my wasting time changing your diaper. You can read it/hear it all there for yourself just as well as you can from my cut-and-paste--which you'll merely sneer at anyway. What I gave are, as I said, mere introductions to the reason for problem of modern obesity. And as I said they lead to other sources--to the primary sources on which they're based, including the endocrinology. So if you want to have a serious discussion, first read the light stuff and then we can argue about the studies themselves, like this one in the JAMA: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17341711

The American Heart Association indeed. There's an oxymoron if ever I've heard one.

And the American College of Sports Medicine. Another oxymoron, eh. But it's just common sense anyway--which is what's funny about your opinion insofar as you have one.

http://www.who.int/m...heets/fs311/en/

What causes obesity and overweight?

The fundamental cause of obesity and overweight is an energy imbalance between calories consumed and calories expended.

No.

Now, that article contains a few valid points in particular about sugar, vitamins, nutrients, perhaps salt. The rest is just (leftist) party line. Unbelievably, there was nothing in the entire article about refined carbohydrates, or anything about carbs, not even in the food processors sections! What a laugh. If the article were true, it would explain obesity in these populations despite not being part of the so-called "toxic environment," being undernourished, and being quite active:

Pima Indians. Here's a pic taken in 1902 of a representative, Fat Louisa:

image-12.jpg

In 1951 Ancel Keys noted that most of the working class women in Naples, Italy, were fat--despite the abject poverty after the war and working hard to survive.In 1960, researchers noted that 40% of Zulu women were obese. In Nauru, South Pacific, a physician observed in 1961 that everyone past puberty was obese. In 1963, in Chile, more than 1/3 of the population was obese, even the active factory workers, and obesity was described as that nation's "main health problem."

1981-83: Starr County, Texas

On the Mexican border, two hundred miles south of San Antonio, William Mueller and colleagues from the University of Texas weighed and measured more than eleven hundred local Mexican-American residents. Forty percent of the men in their thirties are obese, although most of them are "employed in agricultural labor and/or work in the oil fields in the country." More than half the women in their fifties are obese. As for the living conditions, Mueller later describes them as "very simple .... There was one restaurant [in all of Starr County], a Mexican restaurant,
and there was nothing else
." --from
Why We Get Fat

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by JSixpack. View it anyway? Nah, waste of time. smile.png

Just did the same thing. Cleared up the post beautifully. Turned out he was just a poor substitute for google anyway.

• Like 1