Practicing Music In A Bangkok Condominium

Leelas

Hi all! Not sure where to put this, because I don't see a music forum, but music is my hobby, so for now, it goes here.

I moved into my current condo 5 months ago, and about a month and a half ago, I came back from the US with a saxophone and a clarinet. I've been practicing the clarinet every night for the last month - prior to that, I practiced the saxophone every night for the two weeks after I got back, then sent it to the shop for repairs which were finished today. Until today, I didn't get a single complaint.

Anyway, long story short, yeah, I got a complaint. I got home today, and I was so excited to bust out my saxophone after an entire month that I didn't wait until my normal practice time (which is any time between 4 and 9 usually) and just started playing at 2:30 PM. It took about 10 minutes for a security guard to come to my door and tell me to shut the hell up.

Now, it baffles me as to why they chose to complain now - the saxophone's louder than the clarinet, sure, but the clarinet's still loud. Maybe the neighbors didn't like the sound as much, maybe a particularly irritable neighbor was home right now who goes to work later in the day, or maybe this was the last straw after a month and a half of pent up annoyance. Maybe if I just attempt to play softer, the irritated neighbor will be fine with it.

If this were the US, I'd just go knock on some doors, politely ask if I'm bothering, and if so, ask what time people will be away at work or school, so that I can schedule my practice accordingly. However, I'm not sure if unsolicited knocking is acceptable here in Thailand...

Thoughts?

Be considered and talk to your neighbors and ask if you can practice and at what times.

This you should have done in the first place, as it is the most civilized thing to do and also would gain respect.

If you would have a lived in a house it's not such a big of a deal, but in a condo you only live about 50cms away from your next door neighbor.

Good luck

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

Leelas, I had exactly the same problem.

I live in a condo and playing the sax at any time of the day upset someone.

I explored lots of ways to reduce the noise, but they didn't work or weren't practice.

There are some small studios you can rent and I tried that for a while, but it was a hassle. You want to play when you want to play.

Now the sax makes a great display piece for now.

Good luck, but your days of playing in the condo are probably over.

• Like 1

Playing a musical instrument in a condo...are you for reel....My god you are inconsiderate. Buy a detached house in the middle of Issan and play all you want. How can you expect other people to want to listen to your noise in there home especially with how thin the walls are in Thailand.

• Like 2

Most likely they put up with your inconsiderate practising for a month then couldn't stand it any more after they realized that you would not stop being an annoyance so complained. I don't blame them really.

Most Thai's do not complain or make waves so it must be very annoying for them to complain.

You could always go to a park and play and I'm sure you will be ok.

Avoid practising late at night, keep the sessions reasonably short, and don't get too carried away. And don't start up again until the security guard is out of earshot, or he'll lose face.

There's no need to mike up the drums when practising at home, and the monitors will probably be sufficient without the whole PA switched on.

SC

• Like 1

DLock,

Out of curiosity, did you try playing with a towel shoved in the bell? A quick google search identified this as a possible solution (#3 at http://www.bestsaxophonewebsiteever.com/9-tips-for-practicing-saxophone-without-getting-shot-by-your-neighbors/). How did that work? Or are we on some sort of a watch list, and even playing recorded music at too loud a volume is likely to get another complaint?

I am also fortunate enough to have a car to practice in, so that's another option if the towel won't soften the horn down enough.

Of course, it's #1 on the above link - talk to the neighbors - that was the original reason I posted this. As nice as it would be to get to know my neighbors better, I suspect an unsolicited knock from the neighborhood farang would be almost as offensive as the practicing itself. The mere suggestion sent my significant other into full-on "phuat hua" mode, though she was fine complaining about the complaint up until that point. Although she wouldn't elaborate on any cultural problems with that, I suspect that it would not be well recieved, judging by her reaction.

That's what I originally posted this topic for, although if any other musicians can give me tips on how to keep up your chops and not get evicted, that would be much appreciated as well.

Also, SC - I practice for 30 minutes to an hour a day, never play the clarinet after 9, never play the sax after 8. As I said, I've been playing exclusively clarinet for the last month, as the sax has been at the shop for a long time, and didn't get any complaints.

Had a neighbour one time who played the pipes, after numerous complaints he recorded himself and went in the hallway to listen to the racket he made-he found a park. When I would snooze and awake to Amazing Grace I thought I was at my own funeral. (BTW I love the pipes but not in a condo)

• Like 1

DLock,

Out of curiosity, did you try playing with a towel shoved in the bell? A quick google search identified this as a possible solution (#3 at http://www.bestsaxop...your-neighbors/). How did that work? Or are we on some sort of a watch list, and even playing recorded music at too loud a volume is likely to get another complaint?

I am also fortunate enough to have a car to practice in, so that's another option if the towel won't soften the horn down enough.

Of course, it's #1 on the above link - talk to the neighbors - that was the original reason I posted this. As nice as it would be to get to know my neighbors better, I suspect an unsolicited knock from the neighborhood farang would be almost as offensive as the practicing itself. The mere suggestion sent my significant other into full-on "phuat hua" mode, though she was fine complaining about the complaint up until that point. Although she wouldn't elaborate on any cultural problems with that, I suspect that it would not be well recieved, judging by her reaction.

That's what I originally posted this topic for, although if any other musicians can give me tips on how to keep up your chops and not get evicted, that would be much appreciated as well.

Also, SC - I practice for 30 minutes to an hour a day, never play the clarinet after 9, never play the sax after 8. As I said, I've been playing exclusively clarinet for the last month, as the sax has been at the shop for a long time, and didn't get any complaints.

Yes, I tried various towels and suppressors, a saxophone Mute Bag and tried soundproofing a room...all failed. The car might be interesting idea, if you drive far enough out of town.

I'm afraid you are fighting a losing battle...so go out with a bang....play Careless Whisper at 3am on your balcony as loud as you can...

...and then take up the drums and really piss people off.

DLock,

Out of curiosity, did you try playing with a towel shoved in the bell? A quick google search identified this as a possible solution (#3 at http://www.bestsaxop...your-neighbors/). How did that work? Or are we on some sort of a watch list, and even playing recorded music at too loud a volume is likely to get another complaint?

If your neighbours are Thais then try playing off-key and at an erratic tempo and they might just think it's someone playing Thai musicwai.gif

We had a bozo who decided to play his trumpet in our condos. Lasted 2 days. Was spoken too by a couple of us owners (he was a renter) and informed what would happen if he played it again. He moved. We went back to peace and quiet.

Stop playing or move before you have a far, far bigger problem than the guard in your face.

Lots of music lovers on this thread lol!

Leelas, you really have no choice. What seems like a reasonable hour to you might not be to someone who works nights or has a sleeping baby. Get yourself to a practice studio. They're about 250 -300 baht an hour. Sure, it means you can't pick up your ax and play whenever you like, but guess what? You can't have everything. (Especially when living in a condo.) Be thankful you live in a city where practice rooms are cheap and available (and that you don't play a grand piano!)

Had a neighbour one time who played the pipes, after numerous complaints he recorded himself and went in the hallway to listen to the racket he made-he found a park. When I would snooze and awake to Amazing Grace I thought I was at my own funeral. (BTW I love the pipes but not in a condo)

I'd love to be able to play the pipes, but unlike the trumpet, or the saxaphone, or the didgeridoo, you couldn't reasonably practice indoors

SC

Funny. I play the guitar and practice most days.. Until my neighbors sort their constantly barking dogs and stop shouting at each other over their garden fences I'm completely unconcerned if AC/DC at 9am bothers them. Same for the *wat in the next moobahn who plays hiphop late at night and also has two barking mutts. I'd be a helluva lot more considerate if they were but as no one has complained and they all seem deaf I will continue. Personally I'd much rather hear a sax than a sodding dog yapping.

I'd love to be able to play the pipes, but unlike the trumpet, or the saxaphone, or the didgeridoo, you couldn't reasonably practice indoors

SC

Don't you need mist and mountain tops or battlements to get the full effect?

• Like 1

I can imagine that the saxophone may be a lot more annoying than the clarinet.

So after getting fed uop with two weeks of saxophone, the neighbours may have been delighted with the more dulcet tones of the clarinet; then when the saxophone came back, they decided to take action as the situation did not seem to be getting better by itself.

I've never felt moved to complain about the near-neighbour's piano practice, but I can imagine that joys of bugle music must wear thin very quickly

SC

I'm glad I don't live next door to you.

Have some consideration...

I agree with this...

Me too - one poster made a sarcastic comment about 'music lovers' but most people do love to listen music. The difference here is that it's not music of their choice, I lived next door to a guy practising the guitar and it really is nerve jarring hearing the same bit over and over again with a few bum notes thrown in for good measure. And yes, despite being a music lover, I did complain.sad.png

I have a budding guitarist next to me that practises in his bedroom from about 9pm for an hour. Very irritating but he is getting better. Saxophone or clarinet. In a condo. Are you insane? If you were practising Thai instruments you might not have a problem, but even if you were quite accomplished, it is just a racket. Are there not work shops and studios you can go to to practice? Maybe in a carpark or something? Can you put a mute device on them? Consideration is key, and as a Farang, you will always be targeted.