Has Skype Call Quality Gotten Worse?

Carmine6

I've only been using Skype (actually Skypeout) for 2 months. While the call quality from California to a Thailand cell phone was initially fantastic, lately the quality is pretty bad. Clipped sound, too soft, robotic sounding words at times, etc. I've tried calling back which sometimes helps. My regular VOIP line is fine when I get sick of the distortion and swith over, so I don't think it's a network issue on this end.

Then last week I heard that Skype is adding 120,000 users per day or week now. Could this be the problem? Has anyone else had a similar change in call quality for either regular Skype or Skypeout?

Thanks.

Still works as well as before for me, both computer to computer and SkypeIn/SkypeOut - but then again I connect to Sweden and not to the US.

Some guesses as to the difference:

Skype was developed by a Swede, and has been popular there for over two years already. No major increase in users in that market.

From what I have read, it seems the US market preferred Vonage up until E-bay bought Skype, but since Skype are now an E-bay company they are more heavily marketed in the US, and get heaps of new users based on the strength/recognizability of the E-bay brand in the States...

skype still works properly most of the times, but seems like its going to be a huge scam if u try to buy credits. their forum is full of people who wanna bring them to court and there is no way to really get in touch with the skype people..... i bought a 10 Euro credit some time ago to malke calls to landlines, and after I upgraded to the latest version, the credits are still listed in my account, but everytime i want to make a call they say " u dont have credits, have to buy credits first tom make calls" .... even there is is still 9,80 Euro left and valid and listed in my account.....

and the forum is full of such stories... for example: in June they charged the credit card of their customers, but until today, the credits are not added to people's accounts and all such things.....

oh, skype is owned by EBAY now...... is that the rason maybe ?

thanks god that nowadays there are other and better options for the VOIP-call-thing

Still works as well as before for me, both computer to computer and SkypeIn/SkypeOut - but then again I connect to Sweden and not to the US.

Some guesses as to the difference:

Skype was developed by a Swede, and has been popular there for over two years already. No major increase in users in that market.

From what I have read, it seems the US market preferred Vonage up until E-bay bought Skype, but since Skype are now an E-bay company they are more heavily marketed in the US, and get heaps of new users based on the strength/recognizability of the E-bay brand in the States...

I guess it'll hit some point where the equipment upgrades will catch up with the new users.

skype still works properly most of the times, but seems like its going to be a huge scam if u try to buy credits. their forum is full of people who wanna bring them to court and there is no way to really get in touch with the skype people..... i bought a 10 Euro credit some time ago to malke calls to landlines, and after I upgraded to the latest version, the credits are still listed in my account, but everytime i want to make a call they say " u dont have credits, have to buy credits first tom make calls" .... even there is is still 9,80 Euro left and valid and listed in my account.....

and the forum is full of such stories... for example: in June they charged the credit card of their customers, but until today, the credits are not added to people's accounts and all such things.....

thanks god that nowadays there are other and better options for the VOIP-call-thing

I saw those complaints, but thought I'd give it a shot. Luckily I've been fine with several refills. I use the credit up fast which probably helps since I can reject the charge if I have problems. But with the quality drop off, I'll probably wait a bit to refill again.

well if people told their credit card supplier to stop payment, I'm sure they would sit up and take note.