Four Tourists Reportedly Killed In Phuket Discotheque Fire

webfact

I go to Tiger Disco rarely for this reason. Most people don't notice, but when I'm in Tiger, i think about the exits and the fire exit setup is bizzare. Note: After Santika, the fire inspections were visable in Patong regularly. These inspections likely saved many lives last night!

From the main dance floor:

• To the front entrance, likely where most people would run to, narrow (2+meters) between the mezzanine stairs and bar and about 10 meters (through the front part of the disco) to the double doors, from the outdoor patio/entranceway on the 2nd floor, it is then about another 12-15 meters to the scariest spiral staircase, then 5 meters through (narrow) 1st floor Tiger Bars to Bangla Rd. Think stampede!

• At least 2 other fire doors on the back of the disco, maybe more. I've looked on a regular basis, and they appear to not be locked.

• Here's the crazy thing, there are SEVERAL more fire exits (3, if I was to guess) - up on the mezzanine level. They appear to have been installed after construction, which is good. So, you have to go up, to go down, I've gone through this mantra often, wondering if I would remember if there was a panic. BUT, I would bet that very few people (even Thais) knew of these escape routes/doors.

Last night I left Tai Pan about 2am, things were rockin'. I assume Tiger and Hollywood were packed. After bad press caught BKKs attention of deaths (in Hollywood disco, I think) and the assassination attempt in Phuket town early in the year they had a firm 3am closing... for quite some time, slipping to 3:30 then to appx 4:30. Less than 2 weeks age they inched back to 5am.

Really ? and in Hollywood where is the fire exit ? Tiger had, in HW there isn't.

If that happened in Hollywood, bodies would still being pulled out right now ....

• Like 1

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

related topic:

Patong electricity chief denies transformer started Tiger inferno

Phuket Gazette

tr1.jpeg

The transformer above Soi Bangla is still working, and could not have started the Tiger Discotheque inferno that killed four people, says Patong electricity chief. Photo: Atchaa Khamlo

tr2.jpeg

Patong Electricity Chief Atipong Thongyon points to the transformer on Soi Bangla. He says it did not start the inferno, but suggests a short circuit did. Photo: Atchaa Khamlo

PHUKET: -- The chief of the Provincial Electricity Authority (PEA) Patong office today refuted allegations that the Tiger Discotheque fire yesterday morning was caused by an exploding transformer.

Full story:

In every tourist area there are bars/discos that are allowed to flaunt the licencing laws though owner connections and bribery. The noise they generate makes them obvious, and police cannot claim that they are unaware.

The Yingluck government claims that they intend to crack down on corruption. Well here is a big fat juicy example that is right in the public eye at the moment. Will there be any action, or are PTP's claims as obviously false as the lawyer's "sheltering from the rain" BS?

One more reason to avoid phuket...

Will they ever learn something ?

Locked emergency exits, no fire detection alarm, no sprinklers..

Remember these ones ? Feel free to update the list :

Bangkok : Santika hotel - 31 December 2008 - 64 people died and more than 240 others got injured....

Pattaya : Route 999 - May 2006 - 10 people died and about 50 others got injured....

Jomtien : Royal Jomtien Resort - July 1997 - 78 people died....

Nakhon Pathom : Kader Toy - May 1993 - 188 people died and more than 500 others got injured...

...and bangkok and pattaya as wellwhistling.gifor bring your own extinguisher

Edited by Bender

Bangkok : Santika hotel - 31 December 2008 - 64 people died and more than 240 others got injured....

Pattaya : Route 999 - May 2006 - 10 people died and about 50 others got injured....

Nakhon Pathom : Kader Toy - May 1993 - 188 people died and more than 500 others got injured...

Where does it say that the emergency exits were locked, or that there was no fire alarm?

Edited by brewsterbudgen

Where does it say that the emergency exits were locked, or that there was no fire alarm?

In no way I suggested that this were the causes in this particular drama. I just quoted observations from the earlier disasters. I kindly invite you to have a look at the description of the place of the incident given here by somebody else. It fits the description of a death-trap.

The transformer above Soi Bangla is still working, and could not have started the Tiger Discotheque inferno that killed four people, says Patong electricity chief. Photo: Atchaa Khamlo

Did someone forget to send him the memo? This man knows nothing, he is only the electricity chief. The Tiger spokesman and unconfirmed sources say it was a lightening strike to the transformer. Surely they are have more expertise than the guy who actually is in charge of the electrical services. whistling.gif

Haha, good one. You said he did not receive the memo. I think you mistyped and meant to say he did not receive the "envelope."

Edited by ttelise

Did someone forget to send him the memo? This man knows nothing, he is only the electricity chief. The Tiger spokesman and unconfirmed sources say it was a lightening strike to the transformer. Surely they are have more expertise than the guy who actually is in charge of the electrical services. whistling.gif

You and I have agreed on every point in this thread. We're not cynical of these honest and trustworthy locally run businesses are we? BTW, where did that new lighting rig run off to?

My condolences to the loved ones and families of the dead and and my sympathies to the injured. It is really shitty. You come to Thailand to have a good time and you end up dead or seriously injured. What can I say? The mental pain must be unbearable, especially cos it was so unexpected. Most of the time most of us have a really good time. These things happen everywhere. Maybe in Thailand you have to be a little more careful about safety issues.

First R.I.P. to the victims and sincerest condolences to the victims' families and friends, quick recovery for the injured...

Unfortunately accidents like this happen all over the world, and let's be honest here - it could have been worse!!!

In my opinion, it does not make a difference if the pub was operating after the official hours, etc. as people did choose to come on their free will to stay and party (or hide from the rain, whatever). I am quite sure that most of the forum members who wasted their time typing that senseless babble about "if they would have closed in time, there would be no deaths, blablabla..." have in their lives been at least at one night venue after official closing hours, just enjoying themselves... Did they shout at the establishment owner, telling them to "close right now, you criminal son of a b..ch!" ??? Most certainly not!

Everyone who boards an airplane or a ship, or a bus, taxi or train knows deep inside that disaster could strike at any given moment. Anyone who enters an enclosed nightlife venue, sports stadium, huge shopping center, ice skating hall, you name it, also - deep inside - knows that disaster could strike here at any given time and day... Survivor stereotypes and people who already have escaped death in similar situations will always look for emergency exits and most likely stay close to entrances and exits, but sometimes you simply don't have a choice and suddenly you find yourself amidst the stampeding masses... Fact is: You are never safe, nowhere and that's permanent! Even if one chooses to never leave the house because the fear of a possible accident outside of his comfort zone scares the $#!t out of him, an airplane could crash right into that building and kiil him instantly while he's watching Oprah or similar crap on TV...

Then, when $#!t hits the fan, everyone shouts "Ah and Oh" and demands stricter laws, more regulations and more thorough checkups. On the other hand, exactly those people are just so happy if an examiner, policeman, official of any kind, etc. lets them get away with murder because they were able to just put up their sweetest smile or had such a very good excuse story to tell.

I really hate this blame game. Get a life and remember: Life is dangerous - full stop.

Not quite sure why you're sticking up for people that broke the law and people died as a result of it. The fact is, people in trains planes and automobiles do die. Blah blah blah yes the world is scary outside and you're extreme and live life to the fullest! If people are doing illegal activities like driving drunk. They are held responsible. No? If the police know you are driving drunk and you kill someone. They should be held responsible too yes? Uh huh This could have happened anywhere. It DID happen after closing hours. (Illegal) So the greedy and illegal bar owners should be held responsible. Very simple. Not complicated. Kowjai mai?

I go to Tiger Disco rarely for this reason. Most people don't notice, but when I'm in Tiger, i think about the exits and the fire exit setup is bizzare. Note: After Santika, the fire inspections were visable in Patong regularly. These inspections likely saved many lives last night!

From the main dance floor:

• To the front entrance, likely where most people would run to, narrow (2+meters) between the mezzanine stairs and bar and about 10 meters (through the front part of the disco) to the double doors, from the outdoor patio/entranceway on the 2nd floor, it is then about another 12-15 meters to the scariest spiral staircase, then 5 meters through (narrow) 1st floor Tiger Bars to Bangla Rd. Think stampede!

• At least 2 other fire doors on the back of the disco, maybe more. I've looked on a regular basis, and they appear to not be locked.

• Here's the crazy thing, there are SEVERAL more fire exits (3, if I was to guess) - up on the mezzanine level. They appear to have been installed after construction, which is good. So, you have to go up, to go down, I've gone through this mantra often, wondering if I would remember if there was a panic. BUT, I would bet that very few people (even Thais) knew of these escape routes/doors.

Last night I left Tai Pan about 2am, things were rockin'. I assume Tiger and Hollywood were packed. After bad press caught BKKs attention of deaths (in Hollywood disco, I think) and the assassination attempt in Phuket town early in the year they had a firm 3am closing... for quite some time, slipping to 3:30 then to appx 4:30. Less than 2 weeks age they inched back to 5am.

Really ? and in Hollywood where is the fire exit ? Tiger had, in HW there isn't.

If that happened in Hollywood, bodies would still being pulled out right now ....

Funny you say that. I was just thinking the same thing. That place is a death trap in more ways that one.

Its typical for the LOS. bad wirings create explosions and fire. It happens in Pattaya 3 weeks ago on the Sukhumvit mainroad. Lucky noone get hurt. Strange that those incidents never happen in Europe Tourist destinations, like Mallorca or Ibiza, etc, because we have regulations, laws here and no corruption. It's already in the News in Europe. Amaizing!

Really? You make it sound like this terrible fire in Patong happens because its Thailand.

1998—Gothenburg nightclub fire in Gothenburg, Sweden, killing 63 on October 30

2001—Volendam New Years fire during a New Year party in De Hemel cafè in Volendam, Netherlands killed 14 and injured 200

2002—La Coajira nightclub fire at Caracas, Venezuela, 47 killed on December 1

2003—The Station nightclub fire 96 died at the scene; 4 died from injuries at local hospitals in West Warwick, Rhode Island

2004—República Cromagnon nightclub fire in Buenos Aires kills 194, injures 714[citation needed] on December 30.

2009—Perm Lame Horse Night club fire in Perm, Russia kills 153 people and injures over 140 on December 4.[52][53]

Fire can break out any time everywhere. but i'm talking about transformer explosions. That's what they say what happens. When i see the wirings on puplic roads outside the houses, wirings hanging like spagetthy around, some even lose, it looks to my like a desaster. Transformer explosions are a new thing to me, since i stay in LOS. In europe i never saw a transformer explosion.

The same thing is with the permanently flooded roads in the raining season. A little bit rain, 2 hours, and Pattaya look like venice.

<snip>

Wow. I am sure there isn't an honest bar, disco or karaoke owner in Thailand. It's all a snake pit. Now, how does the owner and the local police commander explain that there were people in the place at a time that it's not supposed to be open? Perfect timing to start a crackdown on that sort of lowlife corruption.

Not an honest owner huh? Well better you work your facts out before comments like that. You dont know all the owners so shut ya mouth.

This is an example of the absolute joke of Thai electrical works. How many times are people injured or killed by sub standard work by electricians in this country each year. I bet it wasnt lightning at all.

Building Standards in Thailand are very poor. I don't believe that they have the people to either draw up the right standards or enforce them and even if they did, money would change hands to smooth things over. How many residential buildings store highly flammable liquids? How many have smoke alarms? Sprinklers?

This is a country where, every time you're in a taxi and start to pull on the seatbelt (if there is one), the taxi driver will inevitable say with a grin, "mai pen rai' or some equivelent of; "I won't crash. Nothing to worry about."

Many Thais think they're protected by nicely crafted little pieces of metal hung around their necks. Message to those not immersed in superstition, who happen to have children: advise your kids to be aware of real-world situations, and not rely upon hocus pocus.

Also: if anyone is staying at a guest house, and they start to feel sick, GO OUTSIDE IMMEDIATELY, and take multiple deep breaths. Don't 'tough it out' or gasp by the air.conditioner. You could die, as several (usually young farang women) have.

This is a country where, every time you're in a taxi and start to pull on the seatbelt (if there is one), the taxi driver will inevitable say with a grin, "mai pen rai' or some equivelent of; "I won't crash. Nothing to worry about."

Many Thais think they're protected by nicely crafted little pieces of metal hung around their necks. Message to those not immersed in superstition, who happen to have children: advise your kids to be aware of real-world situations, and not rely upon hocus pocus.

Also: if anyone is staying at a guest house, and they start to feel sick, GO OUTSIDE IMMEDIATELY, and take multiple deep breaths. Don't 'tough it out' or gasp by the air.conditioner. You could die, as several (usually young farang women) have.

Probably best to avoid Thailand altogether if you think it's that risky.

Probably best to avoid Thailand altogether if you think it's that risky.

if you want to know about me, I'll mention that I live one of the riskiest lifestyles of any middle aged man anywhere. I climb rocks, straight up 100 meters, without ropes. But that's just me, and I don't endanger anyone else. When I'm on a motorbike, I put on a helmet, and when I ride with another driver, I put on a seat belt, even in vans. The club owners in the OP endangered others, if they didn't have adequate safeguards.

Edited by maidu

A post has been removed as a poster had deleted quoted post headers as he had reached the maximum number of nested quotes allowed leading to misunderstanding of who posted what. When deleting quoted posts to meet the nested quotes criteria, be careful so as to delete individual posts while keeping the correct quote headers intact.

Another post using inappropriate language has been removed as well as the replies.

The local authority's should begin safety inspections on all the nightclubs in Patong, there is no other action is there.

I was wondering if the insurance company would find an excuse no to pay the claim, it appears there are numerous.

Pre-dawn fire at Tiger Pub on Phuket's Patong kills four, injures 40; electrical transformer explosion may have caused blaze /MCOT

one thing is sure , lessons will not be learned , by farangs or thais ,

this is thailand. RIP

The thai response is so agonisingly familiar it makes me weep

1. Add deliberately confusing information

2. Buy time to cover tracks

3. Lie about extent of tragedy in line with point 2, untill media interest cools

4. Point finger at an underling

5. Continue with business at usual

6. Threaten, defame or otherwise intimidate anyone who dares uncover the truth.

• Like 1

I recently had an entire junction box literally explode in a condo unit i own here. That, despite it having been installed by an allegedly reputable cOntractor recommended bu tv posters

Likely cause was a power surge, a snake climbing to the transformer or lightning Take your pick.

Bottom line is it was a puss pior installation, the type that exists everywhere in the country

I recently had an entire junction box literally explode in a condo unit i own here. That, despite it having been installed by an allegedly reputable cOntractor recommended bu tv posters

Likely cause was a power surge, a snake climbing to the transformer or lightning Take your pick.

Bottom line is it was a puss pior installation, the type that exists everywhere in the country

Our house in Phuket could have burned down if there would have anything flammable been standing under the doorbell... Somehow, the ringer button got stuck while we were away for a couple of days and the whole bellcase, made of plastic, started smoldering with the burning plastic dropping onto the tiles below. When we came back, the whole interior was covered in black ash, the bellcase completely gone. This was just a 12 Volt device - it does not need a lightning or an exploding transformer to cause a huge disaster... And as I wrote earlier - disaster can strike anywhere, anytime!

Edited by catweazle