Can Someone Out There Help?

:o Hi ,

I have a girlfriend in Bangkok, i met her through a marriage agency and i want to find a job in thailand to live and work there for a while .Can anyone give me some information on how i can find a job there.

I am a builder in Australia and i am looking for a job in the construction industry as a foreman/supervisor preferably for a Australian or American company or what ever i can get.

thanks.

It's not going to be easy. Before the 1997 crisis there were many foreigners in construction here, but not now.

What I recommend is that you do some web searching for construction companies in Thailand and on web sites that offer jobs for expats in Thailand and see if you come up with anything. Are you sure that there are no Australian companies here now? You might try some of the larger Australian companies to see if they have a presence in Thailand.

As far as I know you have to be married to a Thai national to get a work permit and permits are difficult to get as the Thai government don't want farang here unless they are tourist, but best of luck.

Looking at the amount of buildings not finished (they don't have money now) the chance of building work is remote.

Actually, you DON'T have to be married to a Thai National to get a work permit. You DO have to be employed by a Thai Company or possibly by an overseas company that is legally doing business in Thailand. Construction work will be hard to find and would probably pay very poorly.

Guest IT Manager

Utter rubbish. You don't need to have a Thai wife to get a work permit. You do however, need a Thai-based company, either local or multinational, to gt the permit for you.

Start your own company and set up as a bulding consultant or architectural consultancy. You can't work as a builder but you can be a site manager, if you have the permit.

PM me for specifics or steve at indo siam. Either of us can assist, quite reasonably with information. If you plan to set up in the North of the Kingdom, I can give you a few good leads as to who not to discuss it with.

Lend Lease aren't here anymore, although Leigtons still are.

The construction industry is currently expanding at a great rate and there are lots of positions for foreign supervisors. Problem is there are lots of supervisors and the companies are from all over the world and tend to use there own nationality supervision.

Try the net for job placement agencies and submit your resume, you may be lucky.

If you decide to go the "start your company" road, be careful how you word what you want to do. I know of an architect who had to redo his paperwork because he was going to be participating in a protected profession. He is now a building consultant.

Hi Roachy,

Just a thought that you have a high chance of success if you apply to one of the firms contracting for the NBIA (New Bangkok International Airport) or for the BTS (Sky Train) extension project.

I belive that they have several foreigners on their engineering supervision teams and if you are qualified, there's always a suitable vacancy at such large construction projects.

All the best!

In my experience, you havent a chance in ###### in working as a forman in Thailand on a building site, unless you speak Thai and want to work for peanuts. If you are a quantity surveyor, you have a better chance.

lets be honest how are you going to tell your labourers what to do, if you dont speak their language - do you speak Thai?

I think you have to have three wives to get a work permit :o

Guest IT Manager

Oh Gent ye of so little faith.

If you are a real building foreman with a few runs on th board as His Excellency Doc, would say, it isn't an issue.

As for talking to the stinking masses, hardly needed. They have Thai chaps to do that.

How many 10 storey plus buildings have you done? We are currently planning an employment section where you post a resume. Likely be up within a week. Thaivisa is undergoing a massive change. It has become so big as to require a team of managers, all of whom seem to be in place now.

As soon as this materializes, we will post a link to list your resume, and a search section for companies seeking foreign staff. At that point I would appreciate some serious feedback and input for employment and employees from our 8,000 plus members who are on both sides of the employment picture.

In the mean time Roachy, who won in the Swans clash on the weekend...mate.. ?

About aussie sport, I was realy and totally delitghted to see on the news paper Mr David Campese, as sandwich man in UK ...

I will always remenber this day on the pitch where he was crying like a babe (it was a game vs France).

Job Section, with Resume ... sound good. May I assume it will be only proposal with WP ???

Do you have some plan to tight the security of the site also? I think it could be a very nice idea (a necessity) if you need to keep Resume with personnal/professional information (I just learn there is no "s" at the end of information .... it's weird)

Regards

Oh Gent ye of so little faith.

If you are a real building foreman with a few runs on th board as His Excellency Doc, would say, it isn't an issue.

As for talking to the stinking masses, hardly needed. They have Thai chaps to do that.

How many 10 storey plus buildings have you done? We are currently planning an employment section where you post a resume. Likely be up within a week. Thaivisa is undergoing a massive change. It has become so big as to require a team of managers, all of whom seem to be in place now.

As soon as this materializes, we will post a link to list your resume, and a search section for companies seeking foreign staff. At that point I would appreciate some serious feedback and input for employment and employees from our 8,000 plus members who are on both sides of the employment picture.

In the mean time Roachy, who won in the Swans clash on the weekend...mate.. ?

IT, he said he was a builder, I am guessing from his post, he builds houses, not 10 storey buildings.

Building houses in Thailand, requires Thai language mate.

I have built 2 schools, 36 houses and a 8 storey 30 Room condo block - and you?, without speaking the language is more than difficult.

If he is building 10+ storey commercial projects, you would be correct sir!

You call yourself a gentleman (?), yet you lack the attributes.

I am quite successful, but unlike you it has not gone to my head.

It was a joke you moron. You didn't see the :D , or does the gentleman (?) need glasses?

I guess it only makes sense that you tell me where to go. Earlier, when you were offended by what someone said, and threw a tantrum threatening to leave, I asked you to stay. :o

How quickly the gentleman (?) forgets his manners.

You call yourself a gentleman (?), yet you lack the attributes.

I am quite successful, but unlike you it has not gone to my head.

It was a joke you moron. You didn't see the :D , or does the gentleman (?) need glasses?

I guess it only makes sense that you tell me where to go. Earlier, when you were offended by what someone said, and threw a tantrum threatening to leave, I asked you to stay. :D

How quickly the gentleman (?) forgets his manners.

You were joking?, you posted this after posting the other smegma on the bear pit, go back and read it :o

Dont play games, be a man and stand by your actions!

Guest IT Manager

I have to agree. Stop it both of you. Do that in the bear pit.

I am aware of the situation re Roachy and building houses, but isn't "building" as in laying block/mortar etc., a disallowed job. Ergo, I was saying that if he wants to build, I am almost certain he can't, unless he is consulting on a major site.

I am open to correction but I think you will find it's one of the proscribed list jobs, which leaves him in a shirt and tie, pointing and carrying a clipboard and a roll of blue prints. It also means he won't need to speak a lot of Thai, however I agree with the points made.

:o

I have to agree. Stop it both of you. Do that in the bear pit.

I am aware of the situation re Roachy and building houses, but isn't "building" as in laying block/mortar etc., a disallowed job. Ergo, I was saying that if he wants to build, I am almost certain he can't, unless he is consulting on a major site.

I am open to correction but I think you will find it's one of the proscribed list jobs, which leaves him in a shirt and tie, pointing and carrying a clipboard and a roll of blue prints. It also means he won't need to speak a lot of Thai, however I agree with the points made.

:o

Ergo?

You can be a project manager/foreman on a housing/commercial construction site, I wasnt saying he was laying the bricks himself :D.

If it is the case, that he is talking about house building, he could be a project manager on a site, but it would equate to about 50,000 baht a month and that would be peanuts to what he gets back home, he would also have to speak Thai as he is the only farang onsite all day.

A project manager/foreman, organises the Thai forman - if the Thai foreman doesnt speak english....

roachy, please explain, what type of building work you are looking for.

Guest IT Manager

Roachy it really is OK. This is what passes for informed debate for the gent.

If you are an american its fine. Outside that forget discussion.

i want to find a job in thailand to live and work there for a while .Can anyone give me some information on how i can find a job there.

I am a builder in Australia and i am looking for a job in the construction industry as a foreman/supervisor preferably for a Australian or American company or what ever i can get.

Please post your CV here:

Jobs in Thailand