'Incorruptible' Prison Guard Slain: Drug Gang Blamed

Lite Beer

'Incorruptible' guard slain: drug gang blamed

Kritsana Thiwatsirikul,

Piyanut Thamnukasetchai

The Nation on Sunday

A Nakhon Si Thammarat prison guard known for his integrity was shot dead yesterday in a murder suspected to have been organised by drug-dealing inmates in the jail.

Police believe the guard was killed due to his willingness to take action against inmates and corrupt officials.

Corrections Department Deputy Director-General Sophon Thitithammarak yesterday made an urgent visit to the prison to discuss the case with its commander, Suraphol Kaewparadai, and search for facts. The department's director was notified via telephone about the case. He is now on a working trip to Europe.

The victim, Aod Saephua, 49, was in charge of the medical facility inside Nakhon Si Thammarat Central Prison. He was shot in the head and body with .9mm handgun while riding a motorcycle home on Naphru-Benjama Road.

Five bullets were found at the murder scene, local police chief Maj-General Ronnapong Saikaeo said. Aod had been preparing to take meal boxes and snacks made by his wife and children to sell at the prison.

Reports said two assailants used a pickup truck to block his escape, while one of two others riding a motorcycle opened fire on him. They all escaped towards the Benjamarachuthit intersection.

Jail boss Suraphol and a police officer investigating the case said Aod was an honest employee, who conducted strict searches for drugs hidden in meals from outside - and found them on many occasions.

He was reportedly offered bribes to allow drug transports into the prison, but refused them. Instead, he usually reported the problems to Suraphol. This is believed to have upset the drug network in the prison, allegedly leading them to hire gunmen to kill him.

Reports said early this month that Aod was threatened with death after discovering smuggled crystal methamphetamine, or "ice".

"I believe Aod's conflict with the drug network was the cause of his death. We will be internally investigating to discover who in the prison was behind this case. We suspect two groups - the drug-related inmates and [corrupt] prison officials," Suraphol said.

"I'm sure that we will know who did it soon," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-19

So sad to see those who stand for justice and what is right being killed by others who are motivated by greed. I hope the current government will adequately compensate the victims family for the price he paid standing against corruption.

• Like 2

Another act of bastardy by Thai law enforcement agencies. This man's management knew of this efforts and the likely outcome. Yet he was not provided any protection or transferred.

• Like 1

Another act of bastardy by Thai law enforcement agencies. This man's management knew of this efforts and the likely outcome. Yet he was not provided any protection or transferred.

Agrre, they had a duty of care towards thier employee but one can only ponder the question as to why wasn't he afforded this care? Could those in management also have been part of the problem?

Edited by chooka
  • Like 1

As with anything here, the desire to change is cancelled out by the fear of repercussions and in most cases, death.

I am sure there are governmant officials that want to change things, to do the right thing but it isnt worth losing your life for.

The army are untouchable as is the police. The prime minister is afraid to make changes in either and has been told by the army to butt out, they will look after themselves. Things will never change here. sad.png

• Like 2

Protection. By whom? He was straining against the very fabric of Thai society. The man was a Demi-God. He was the Anna Hazari of Thailand. If he were Catholic, there is a chance he would be beautified by the church, and become a saint. This man heard an inner voice, and followed it against all odds. His life was an example to the entire nation. Hopefully his death will be a wake up call. Thailand is marching backwards at an alarming pace. It is defying all odds. When it comes to industry, tourism, flood control, obeying the ASEAN charter, and many other areas, they are marching backwards, and much to the detriment of the Thai people. On Samui the local people are on a suicide mission. Even though tourism is falling off, the prices are going up, at an alarming pace. People just do not see how destructive their thoughtless actions are. The only thing that is competitive on Samui are the house rentals. All else has no connection to reality. The hotel people would rather run a 50% vacancy level, than lower their prices. I see restaurants that recently opened, with very high prices (comparable to Los Angeles, or Sydney) that are nothing special on any level. They sit nearly empty night, after night. And this is during the mini high season. Does anyone figure it out? Does anyone connect the corruption here with a declining way of life?

• Like 1

The few honest decent people in Thailand who want to do the right thing often end up paying the ultimate price my sincere condolences to all his family they can be very proud of him and rewarded by his example how he led his life

RIP to another brave hero who falls due to the general complacency/reliance towards corruption.

He's a hero who risked his life (he surely knew he was) for no personal benefit. It is so rare to witness a behavior that is not commanded by strictly personal gains here that he emerges as a model to be celebrated if Thai authorities ever wanted to change something in this matter.

Therefore, the disappointingly minimalist reaction of his boss

("I believe Aod's conflict with the drug network was the cause of his death. We will be internally investigating (...). We suspect two groups (...) I'm sure that we will know who did it soon")

is a total shame and an insult to his murder.

Where is the all out war declaration it should have automatically provoked? Nowhere of course. Disgust.

Some people want to make a difference. Other are just there to perpetuate the disease.

• Like 1

Time Thailand had another government sponsored druggy clear out

Can't do that, look who got the blame last time for the murder of all the druggies and distributors.

Anyhow Yingluck is at present happy with the way corruption is being slowly cleaned up.

Didn't Thaksin start the same way.

I feel sorry about this Prison Officer and feel for his family, but corruption is a way of life here.

A friend of mine once said, if you drop a pebble into a bucket of water it makes waves. Then everything settles down again.

After the last clear out of the druggies it frightened most of the small time dealers and I am sure it took a lot of drugs of the street, would also save a few farangs for falling victim by being robbed so that some low life druggie can get another fix.

I remember one of the Politicians saying that any one involved with drugs and convicted should be put to death within 3 months.

Not such a bad idea now as this Prison Officer was murdered over the rourts in prison involving drugs.

It would certianly frighten the s**t out of anyone who was dealing or bringing the drugs into the Prison.

Crims, Prison Officers and Police if caught and convicted. It would not stop it all, but it would certianly make it a lot safer.

The thought. (DEATH) in three months.

• Like 1

Dunno what this guys salery was but I would bet it wasn't worth the price he paid, tragic ending and the scourge that is ice kills another innocent victim.

I understand what you mean altough it sounds like there's some bizarre undertone in the way you put it.

Probably it's just me and you didn't mean to sound like I thought you did.

Under no circumstances would turning a blind eye on what's happening inside the prison or being a criminal with the criminals or even acting corrupt as maybe some of his colleagues compensate a low salary.

Integrity can not be bought.

I have lots of respect for honorable people.

May he rest in peace. My condolences to the family.

+ 1

Mostly Farangs here posting how a true tragedy this is, an honest government employee cowardly murdered due to his unfailing integrity. I wonder how many Thais would view this the same way as we do? I could be wrong but my guess is they would see this as justified since he caused friction apparently on both sides of the law.

Yep agree, when I read this in Bangkok Post, I was sad.. but sadness is really suppressed anger... and that is where a lot of posters to this thread find themselves now. Anger that the low life scum have shattered a family and..most likely will get away with it.

As with anything here, the desire to change is cancelled out by the fear of repercussions and in most cases, death.

I am sure there are governmant officials that want to change things, to do the right thing but it isnt worth losing your life for.

The army are untouchable as is the police. The prime minister is afraid to make changes in either and has been told by the army to butt out, they will look after themselves. Things will never change here. sad.png

And it all stems from the unmentionable top but Ill probably get banned for even mentioning it.

Time Thailand had another government sponsored druggy clear out

Problem with this line of thinking is that it is extremely narrow minded and not particularly deep....which is what the powers that be count on....stupidity of the masses. If you think that a killing spree by the gov't is going to solve the problem then you may as well be one of the accused. Drug wars are only a "stamping out" of the competition, or a little flag waving to appease the stupid masses........nothing else. Look around the world at the wars on drugs and give us an example of a positive outcome in terms of actually decreasing the consumption of drugs. I would be willing to bet that the only positive outcomes that we could find would be as a result of a more "open" line of thinking and action.

• Like 1

DRUGS: The Scourge Of Society

All the ones that are so intrenched in the supply of drugs are the ones that are the Bile of this world.

No...prohibition is the scourge of society. Keeping the profits available for criminals to take is what ought to be criminal. People are so freaking lazy in their thinking.

• Like 1

Mostly Farangs here posting how a true tragedy this is, an honest government employee cowardly murdered due to his unfailing integrity. I wonder how many Thais would view this the same way as we do? I could be wrong but my guess is they would see this as justified since he caused friction apparently on both sides of the law.

Sure. They would say that he was crazy and shouldn't have messed with the wrong people..etc etc It's just a different mind set to those of us who grew up with a sense of right and wrong.