Attention: Mexican Food Lovers (Burito House)

daeng1212

I have seen a push cart on Tha pae road clalled "Taco Bells" have yet to try it.

Gotta give credit to that guy who is trying to make a living. I've seen him too, a number of times. Never seen anyone actually buy anything from him. What could you possibly get for 30-40 THB? A portion of cheese costs that here.

I ate off that cart because I just had to and I thought it was great. I wasn't worrying about how authentic it was as much as how tasty.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen a push cart on Tha pae road clalled "Taco Bells" have yet to try it.

Gotta give credit to that guy who is trying to make a living. I've seen him too, a number of times. Never seen anyone actually buy anything from him. What could you possibly get for 30-40 THB? A portion of cheese costs that here.

I ate off that cart because I just had to and I thought it was great. I wasn't worrying about how authentic it was as much as how tasty.

any more info guys? which part of thae pae rd? and what time is he there normally

• 3 weeks later...

It is actually Tacos Bell. Pretty good stuff, his beans actually have seasoning, my only complaint against Miguel's. He is often on Ratviti across from Zoe at night.

taco cart in Sonora, Mexico. Tacos=1 USD. Marinated onion on the side, no lettuce; just cabbage. Three kinds of salsa: hot, very hot, and extremely hot. They throw the jalapeños right on the grill. No cheese, that's for quesadillas and enchilladas. No beans, either.

salud!

post-37570-0-44152200-1366190446_thumb.j

Edited by Thighlander

It is actually Tacos Bell. Pretty good stuff, his beans actually have seasoning, my only complaint against Miguel's. He is often on Ratviti across from Zoe at night.

Yup that is where I spotted him. His food was delicious! Wish he was more easy to track down.

Miguels is terrible. I had burrito there and it was super bland. Just plain awful. Both Salsa kitchen and Elvis are miles better.

Everyone has their favorites. I went to Elvis one time. I'll never go back. Food was terrible.

Same for me as well

I can't comment on the burito's there, but the tacos I had weren't the best. Orange coloured cheese? C'mon!

Miguels is terrible. I had burrito there and it was super bland. Just plain awful. Both Salsa kitchen and Elvis are miles better.

Miguel's has nice burritos and quesadillas I tried both, I went to loco Elvis and anymore! La tortilla of the burrito was like chewing gum, at least Miguels puts it on the iron and is crispy.

Everyone has different opinions about food, like women, otherwise we were eating at the some place and with the same woman ^_^

Edited by tornado24

Everyone has their favorites. I went to Elvis one time. I'll never go back. Food was terrible.

Same for me as well

I can't comment on the burito's there, but the tacos I had weren't the best. Orange coloured cheese? C'mon!
Anatto has been used to color cheese orange since the 16th century in England. Originated in Brazil it has also been used through out the Americans and Asia to color food. The Spanish introduced goats and cows to Mexico and then the burrito followed a few days later. Edited by junglechef
  • Like 1

I am leery of great reviews of Mexican restaurants. After I read these rave reviews then visit the restaurant, I find myself disappointed. I have concluded that it's because each of us has a different idea of what great Mexican food ought to taste like; perhaps a matter of where you were raised.

I am an aficionado of Mexican food done San Diego style. For those who have reviewed on this page, have any of you eaten at the Roberto's chain in San Diego/southern California? These are the down-and-dirty drive-in stands painted a garish red & yellow pattern; as far as I'm concerned you cannot beat their carne asada (burritos/tacos/fries). They are copied pretty well by Eriberto's, Ariberto's, or any other similar-sounding name.

• Like 2

I enjoy Miguels in Nong Hoi as easy to get to for me, Lately i go to Mexican Grill on canal road south of Suthep RD 1-2 km. Across from PTT station.has a good menu.....ribs too. only thing he does not have beef for tacos or fajitas. nachos are great.....

Just out of curiosity I wonder how many people commenting on Mexican food have ever eaten it.

Seems like they got it at some restaurant no where near Mexico. I wonder how many of them would even like Mexican food if they were to purchase it in a village not geared for tourism just for Mexicans.

This reminds me of a thread a while back about Indian food. Most of the posters were commenting on English Indian food and the odd one on American Indian food. Yes there were some commenting on real Indian food as they had experienced it in India.

I love the Nachos at Miguel's. I have no idea if they are Mexican or not. I don't like the ones at Dukes I have no idea if they are Mexican or not. The wife dosen't like the quesedias at Miguel's. She loves the ones at Dukes she has no idea if they are Mexican or not.

It would be nice to hear from a lot more posters who have eaten real mexican food not what is prepared for tourists.

Mexicans eat pork-skins, never seen one eating nachos. Chucharones. Poor people get flour tortillas, the upper class get corn.

Never seen a bowl of red chili there, either (check new mexico for that!),,,,,and as stated before, they never put cheese on tacos.

Here's a taco stand menu in Mexico.......12 Pesos = 1 USD. I've always said, that they are more like the thais than either one of them would admit.

That sign is about two hundred meters from where they nabbed this load.........now you know why there is a taco stand on every corner; MUNCHIES!

post-37570-0-64284200-1366277183_thumb.j

post-37570-0-25880800-1366277734_thumb.j

Edited by Thighlander

I am leery of great reviews of Mexican restaurants. After I read these rave reviews then visit the restaurant, I find myself disappointed. I have concluded that it's because each of us has a different idea of what great Mexican food ought to taste like; perhaps a matter of where you were raised.

I am an aficionado of Mexican food done San Diego style. For those who have reviewed on this page, have any of you eaten at the Roberto's chain in San Diego/southern California? These are the down-and-dirty

Mexicans eat pork-skins, never seen one eating nachos. Chucharones. Poor people get flour tortillas, the upper class get corn.

Never seen a bowl of red chili there, either (check new mexico for that!),,,,,and as stated before, they never put cheese on tacos.

Here's a taco stand menu in Mexico.......12 Pesos = 1 USD. I've always said, that they are more like the thais than either one of them would admit.

That sign is about two hundred meters from where they nabbed this load.........now you know why there is a taco stand on every corner; MUNCHIES!

well you are right! Real mexican people they eat rice, frijoles and carne asada(if they can).

Also depends on the area of mexico, now the things are changing and more and more can afford different kinds of food, like good fish or chuleta(porterhouse).

The food we can eat in CM is mexican-american but is quite good!!

About 1% of USDA graded beef comes from Mexico, they are brought over live, many of them were fed with tomatoes, which get dirt cheap. 5,000,000,000 Kg of fresh produce crosses through where the busted that load. But, your comment about the rice and beans was spot on........every day. They can work miracles with cheap cuts of meat, too. Seafood on the coast, so they do tacos camaron or pescado.....shrimp/fish, and never crunchy shells, those are for the tostados. Limes and cucumber/onion everywhere....sound familiar? You almost never see Lemon down there, as the Chinese brought them to California to build the transcontinental RR, and they were seriously persecuted by the Mexicans.

Wow... not sure what everybody's idea of Mexican food is, but I really like most of the things at Loco Elvis'. I lived in Southern California for over 20 years and ate in every type of restaurant and off every taco truck wherever they be found, all hours of day and night.

I also traveled to Rosarita beach regularly as well as down to Cabo San Lucas (both in Mexico) not to mention a couple forays to Juarez as well as the Yucatan (Playa Del Carmen and Tulum) indulging in every possible culinary scenario along the way. And I'll say this... whatever Miguel's is doing, it ain't what I would call good Mexican food. In fact, they're far from it, just one step up from Taco Bell (a place which I avoided when in the USA). I now avoid Miguel's after two bad experiences. Sorry, but "Mexican Style" food made by a Canadian throws a red flag in my book.

Loco Elvis' doesn't get it on a few items, (the beef Tacos are way too greasy and the Enchiladas & Burritos were unremarkable/just okay) but their Fajitas are absolutely rockin! The Taquitos, the Quesadillas, Nachos Grande and the Baja Fish Tacos are all pretty damn good too and everything is well worth the price. Everything is made fresh daily too, including both their flour and corn tortillas, the 3 different kinds of salsa, the guacamole and even the freak'n sour cream! And you can taste the difference. I also have to say that they make a kick ass Margarita (served in a hefty Mug, not a prissy Margarita glass) for only 99 Baht! So when I'm hankerin' for a taste of south of the border grub that's a great cross of So.Cal, TexMex and Mexican, it's the Loco for me! I'm hooked and go regularly now.

El Diablo's across the moat from Loco has massive burritos and aren't bad either. The problem I have with them though is that that's all they have... Burritos! That and the corn chips they serve are as thick as a brick, you can literally bust a tooth trying to eat them. Their salsas are pretty good though and the staff is friendly.

Edited by yeeowww
  • Like 1

On my first trip 21 years ago to Mexico I learned real quick that one restaurants idea of a dish might not match the one next door.

Also there was one's that did not match there last night one.biggrin.png

Quite frankly I like the burito's at the Burito House that the OP posted about.thumbsup.gif

You all have a ceasar salad. That too was invented in the greatest country in world. Not! Guess where. Rome, Milan...."who knows? Certainly was not SF district refered too above nor has this op any clue about burrito and there origins. Totall <deleted>!

Sorry, some things really get me goin......not much but, burritos.....I can tell you a few things about proper length and girth . Ha ha.

You all have a ceasar salad. That too was invented in the greatest country in world. Not! Guess where. Rome, Milan...."who knows? Certainly was not SF district refered too above nor has this op any clue about burrito and there origins. Totall <deleted>!

Sorry, some things really get me goin......not much but, burritos.....I can tell you a few things about proper length and girth . Ha ha.

You dare to challenge the Caesar Cardini -- Ceasar salad origin theory?

w00t.gif OMG! w00t.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar_Cardini

Italian American immigrant operating in Southern California USA and Baja California Mexico.

Edited by Jingthing

Wow... not sure what everybody's idea of Mexican food is, but I really like most of the things at Loco Elvis'. I lived in Southern California for over 20 years and ate in every type of restaurant and off every taco truck wherever they be found, all hours of day and night.

So what? I know a fellow who owned and ran a Mexican restaurant in Mexico as well as spending a lot of time in California and Texas. He loves Miguel's and won't eat in those other places. Hamburger Mike - the guy that started Miguel's and still helps out from time to time - owned and operated several Mexican restaurants in San Diego.

Your opinions on Mexican food are anecdotal and you are welcome to them, but they prove pretty much nothing. I know that I would not go to a Mexican restaurant based on your recommendation after reading your posts.

• Like 1

I thought Sunrise Tacos in BKK looked doable, but I'm not paying double for Mexican food in Thailand. Anyone been there? I would have serious reservations about canadian Mex......bland is their whole mantra......too cold up there to grow any peppers. A lot of the customers are to blame, because they can't eat spicy (like it's suppose to be) and if even 10% of food was sent back, that would be a catostrophic...so you end up with a plate of hospital food. Seen the same things at Thai restaurants in the States, and if you don't keep your guard up, they will give you bland food in thailand, too. What do you all think: can even half of farang eat authentic spicy thai or Mex?

Photo is from family BBQ. I was the only white person in attendance, but grandma rosamaria has a lot of Spanish blood, so they are almost white.

post-37570-0-09026400-1366336047_thumb.j

Edited by Thighlander

I thought Sunrise Tacos in BKK looked doable, but I'm not paying double for Mexican food in Thailand. Anyone been there? I would have serious reservations about canadian Mex....

There is what might be described as Canadian-Mex at Salsa Kitchen on Huay Keow road. Even though the owner does not pretend to be doing authentic Mexican food, it is tasty and healthy. I enjoy his food a lot. He uses fresh local ingredients to put his own spin on Mexican cuisine. Personally,I put Sunrise Tacos, Loco Elvis and Diablos in somewhat the same boat, although - to me - Salsa Kitchen stands out in that company.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I ate at Burrito House yesterday. I had the special, which was one taco, one burrito, rice, salad and a small bottle of water for 150 baht.

I grew up eating Mexican food, living a couple hours away from the border.

I started to ask for my choice of meats, but the woman said that all the meat was the same. So I had what appeared to be beef, which was ground.

The taco was not bad -- crispy and fresh -- but the meat had no real distinctive flavor.

The burrito was good sized, but the meat was the same and to this was added a lot of shaved carrots and some lettuce. Let me state clearly: burritos do not and should never contain carrots.

There was a "salsa" condiment that tasted like very mild sauce you might pick up in the supermarket. With each bite first topped with a generous portion of this, the burrito had something of a Mexican feel to it.

The salad was small but topped with some slices of tomato, but the dressing was so violently sour and vinegary that I could not eat the salad after unwittingly topping it with this powerful dressing.

The rice was some mixed colored multi-grain and there was some chili flavor added that gave the rice a small kick. It was probably the tastiest part of the meal.

The water was nice and so was the glass of ice.

Overall, I would give this place a 5 out of 10. Clearly, the lone woman working there does not know how to make authentic Mexican food (or any of the variations) or doesn't care, or knows but feels that to do it right would take more time, more money in ingredients and more trouble than simply stuffing things with carrot shavings.

I think individually the tacos and burritos sell for 65 baht each, which for what you get seems pretty dear to me.

yeah, when that guy on MM, across from LK, does a plate of thai food for thirty, and they have a cooler full of beers too. Anyone hit that place? With the nice vent hood, and the big flame on the fire.

Here is a taco from Del Taco. They have a promo 3 for 1.09 usd, and they were .39 all the time, but now 49. I pohotoed this one, because they had done a half ass job.

post-37570-0-22619200-1366342918_thumb.p

Edited by Thighlander

I started to ask for my choice of meats, but the woman said that all the meat was the same. So I had what appeared to be beef, which was ground.

The taco was not bad -- crispy and fresh -- but the meat had no real distinctive flavor.

The burrito was good sized, but the meat was the same and to this was added a lot of shaved carrots

Yeah sorry that would be a no go for me wink.png

What kind of taco? beef,chicken,pork?

Umm no we only have one kind....mystery meat smile.png

Then as you said to top it with carrots?