Tiger Disco Fire: French, British Named As Probable Victims

Lite Beer

The power connections and cables are killers in Thailand just like in India. Nothing is earthed. I had a business in Pattay with 9 rental rooms, I heard about 2 deaths in some other room rentals that 2 people killed by electric shock in the shower. So I called electrician in to check all my rooms and nothing was earthed, I got him to earth the lot, 22,000 was worth it to know it would not happen in my place. Saving money again for the councilors coffee funds. Will never change sorry to say. Kiwi Kenny

• Like 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked up if there is a fear of conspiracies, but unfortunately could not come up with such a phobia. But I think there is a number of foreigners staying in Thailand that suffers from such a phobia. If by accident bodies was left inside the bar you would be smelling them 2 blocks away by now. If the officials try to cover up the numbers that died in the fire, how did they get the bodies out without the hunderds of people standing around see them, or if they left them side, how did they prevent the media from uncovering them when they went inside to shoot videos and pictures? And how do they cover up the numbers if family start to ask where there family members are? Plenty of emotions with very little use of grey matter.

• Like 2

there are a lot of things not "correct" or just bothering.... Now we know, thx to the Phuket Gazette, the full name of someone who is looking for his brother...thats great, thanks for this very important information. BUT we still dont know WHY the fire broke out, WHY there are victims (Emergency Exits?) and what really happend...

These things take time. Or are you one of the persons who wants the police to give details straight away, condemn them for giving out incorrect details and in the mean time continue with speculations?

• Like 1

Contrary to most of the posts on here I was actually in Patong at the time of the events and have to applaud the way the authorities handled the situation. Friends staying in nearby hotels were immediately evacuated for fear that the fire would spread but fortunately the fast action of the local fire department prevented that.

While any number of deaths/ injuries are shocking the fact is that this could have been far, far worse than it was. Tiger holds 100s-1000s of people on any given night and it's really very lucky that far more didn't lose their lives in this unfortunate tragedy. Fires do happen the world over and to those that feel this is worthy fodder to voice generalised Thai/ Phuket bashing posts I truly feel sorry for you, your blinkered views and your total lack of perspective.

We all know that electrical safety standards in Thailand are lacking, as are fire detection/ prevention methods. They are however equally shocking in many "civilised" parts of Europe and far worse in many neighbouring Asian countries. The fact is that many of these clubs and resorts in Phuket are actually foreign owned or operated and what's truly sad is those that should and do know better will still knowingly use cheaper inferior labour and materials to save costs. But of course they're probably content in the knowledge that should any mishap occur we will all happily blame "the Thais"...

Reading the legal advisory comments from the lessee, where they have claimed adequate insurance cover to ensure compensation is paid to the families of those involved, one point stands out - The club is licensed to open until 1:00 am, what time was the fire? I really can't see any insurance company swallowing this claim...

RIP and my condolences to the family and friends of those involved.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, the chief of the Provincial Electricity Authority (PEA)'s Patong office on Saturday refuted allegations that the Tiger Discotheque fire was caused by an exploding transformer, as claimed by a lawyer representing a firm that runs the venue.

In a Phuket Gazette online article, Atipong Thongyon told the press, "We have checked the transformer and it is operating normally. Another transformer, belonging to Tiger Discotheque, is also working normally." He explained that the PEA transformer for the section of Soi Bangla where Tiger Discotheque is located is about 50 metres from and on the same side of the road as the popular night club.

The transformer is rated at 250kVA (250,000 volt amps), which is suitable for housing and small businesses, said Atipong. "Tiger's transformer is rated 400kVA, which is suitable for a big entertainment venue," Atipong explained. "Both of the transformers are fine."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-20

So it would seem the plot thickens...

First the disco is only open long past legal closing time because supposedly people were being sheltered from the rain????

And now the electrical transformer that supposedly caused the fire is fine and working properly, according to the PEA???

Gives new meaning to the saying, "Where's there's smoke there's fire..."

I wasn't there of course... But the news reports above suggest the victims died first by suffocation...because the fire and smoke consumed all the breathable oxygen... And then their bodies subsequently were burned...

But who knows.... Any way you cut it, a terrible and likely unnecessary way to die.

Tiger Disco fire: Styrofoam decor may have fuelled inferno

Phuket Gazette

d1.jpeg

The highly-flammable polystyrene foam used to create much of the decor in Tiger Discotheque did not conform to a recent change in building safety regulations. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

d2.jpeg

Building inspector Wasawat Kritsiritirapak said that any information learned from the investigation will be used in making recommendations to change to the Building Control Act. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- The highly flammable polystyrene foam used in making the Tiger Discotheque’s iconic decorations has been named by building inspectors as one of many possible fire hazards that contributed to the deadly fire last Friday.

Full story:

I left Tiger that night about 30-60 minutes before the fire. It was a relatively slow night for TIger. I'd say abou 60% of what of avarage night. Almost no crowding. This could have been so much worse.

Next death trap in Bangla is Hollywood. Always crowded. Always difficult to move around.

Alfa, I think we all know the answer to this question, but was the DJ still playing and they were serving drinks when you left.

i.e. does the "sheltering from the rain" carry any weight at all, or will some easy investigation show that it was business as usual, beyond the legal opening times?

I'm interested in why the Lawyer continues this line, and the "lightning struck the generator" line when both as so easy to refute.

I looked up if there is a fear of conspiracies, but unfortunately could not come up with such a phobia. But I think there is a number of foreigners staying in Thailand that suffers from such a phobia. If by accident bodies was left inside the bar you would be smelling them 2 blocks away by now. If the officials try to cover up the numbers that died in the fire, how did they get the bodies out without the hunderds of people standing around see them, or if they left them side, how did they prevent the media from uncovering them when they went inside to shoot videos and pictures? And how do they cover up the numbers if family start to ask where there family members are? Plenty of emotions with very little use of grey matter.

So how do you account for the fact that there are more foreigners missing than are reported found in the ashes of the Tiger Disco?

I left Tiger that night about 30-60 minutes before the fire. It was a relatively slow night for TIger. I'd say abou 60% of what of avarage night. Almost no crowding. This could have been so much worse.

Next death trap in Bangla is Hollywood. Always crowded. Always difficult to move around.

Alfa, I think we all know the answer to this question, but was the DJ still playing and they were serving drinks when you left.

i.e. does the "sheltering from the rain" carry any weight at all, or will some easy investigation show that it was business as usual, beyond the legal opening times?

I'm interested in why the Lawyer continues this line, and the "lightning struck the generator" line when both as so easy to refute.

The lawyer continues this ploy because he is representing the owners. It is his job to lie through his teeth to get them off any charges.

If you had ever been to Patong / Bangla Rd, you would know that staying open until day break is standard operating procedure in the Hollywood and Tiger discos. The bars are open and these places are usually packed out from 2:00am until 4:00-5:00am every night. As long as there are customers, they will stay open.

The "sheltered from the rain" story is bullshit.

Its one of those things about living in Thailand, the health and safety laws are completely different to UK. Take condos, having the kitchen by the front door is pretty dangerous in itself.. no fire doors etc

So with clubs at the very least there should be a law passed to make all clubs have more than adequate fire extinguishers with twice yearly checks... Its not expensive and can be enforced.

Edited by fish fingers

Phuket, Phuket! Is it just me or does it seem like this is the most dangerous place in Asia to be based on so many unsolved accidents, murders etc. recently???

Looks like you have been sleeping during your geography lessons at school... or perhaps you are on some heavy tranquilizers...

Let me assist you - here's a map:

map_of_asia.jpg

So with clubs at the very least there should be a law passed to make all clubs have more than adequate fire extinguishers with twice yearly checks... Its not expensive and can be enforced.

Enforced... in Thailand... Good one!!!! cheesy.gifclap2.gif

What a plethora of nonsense has been posted regarding this topic - we even got a conspiracy theory about victims being smuggled out to keep the official death toll down? Wow - looks like a few forum members need some days off at a very good spa or better see a shrink...

• Like 1

Police believe at least one of the victims was female or a transgender person as they found silicone implants under the breasts.

So Police have narrowed the victim down to be either a man or a woman. Genius.

It may be convenient to make such comments, but it's not correct, because after the surgery, a transgender (male > female) is a (sterile or infertile) female for medical and legal reasons..

Finding silicone implants neither defines the person as transgender, nor female; does it?

Is it the heat - or is the general iQ here now simply following the downward spiral movements of the stock market? Silicone implants UNDER THE BREASTS - who else but a transgender or female person would carry silicone implants UNDER THE BREASTS??? Batman? Cherry Potter? Frankenstein???

• Like 1

There are many discos in Thailand that are a firetrap for most people who go in those places. The owners won't fix it to make their establishments safe for poeple who go there. If anything happens, they have friends on the police force who will cover them. There was a club in Silom in one of the gay districs that had been sited a number of years for being a death trap in case of fire. All the emergancy exits could not use.

<p>

Finding silicone implants neither defines the person as transgender, nor female; does it?

Is it the heat - or is the general iQ here now simply following the downward spiral movements of the stock market? Silicone implants UNDER THE BREASTS - who else but a transgender or female person would carry silicone implants UNDER THE BREASTS??? Batman? Cherry Potter? Frankenstein???

To be fair to non-English speakers, what was probably meant is that finding silicone implants 'alone' is not enough to imply either transgender or female. Keep in mind that 'just having implants' doesn't make one trans-whatever. That (i.e. transgender) may be just a state of mind which cannot be determined from the horribly scarred remains.

<p>

To be fair to non-English speakers, what was probably meant is that finding silicone implants 'alone' is not enough to imply either transgender or female. Keep in mind that 'just having implants' doesn't make one trans-whatever. That (i.e. transgender) may be just a state of mind which cannot be determined from the horribly scarred remains.

Yes, but the text clearly stated - under the breats - and who else except a female or a male person who wants to appear like a woman (transsexual male) would wear breast implants? In any case - it neither matters, nor does it help the general discussion here, I know that - so point taken.