Going To Jail Would Make Thaksin A Statesman, Says New Senate Speaker

webfact

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

Going to jail would make Thaksin a statesman, says new Speaker

KhanitthaThepphajorn

Somroutai Sapsomboon

The Nation

30188644-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Chachoengsao Senator Nikom Wairatpanich last Tuesday defeated appointed senators vying for the new Senate Speaker position - the first time an elected member has achieved this. He talks to The Nation's KhanitthaThepphajorn and Somroutai Sapsomboon about claims he is politically partial towards reconciliation bills and charter amendment, issues that have been seen as attempts to help ex-pm Thaksin Shinawatra.

Q: Society has called into question the reconciliation bills [as being] only for Thaksin and not for national reconciliation.

A: I would rather have the reconciliation bills suspended and get a public understanding of the matter by giving them knowledge first. If the Lower House resolves to pass the bills, the Upper House will have to deliberate it. I believe there will be many alterations, but the Senate cannot stop the bills from being passed into law. The Constitution clearly states that the Senate can delay a law for not more than 90 days.

Q: Even though the proposed legislation refers to reconciliation bills - but actually it is an amnesty law of which the ultimate aim is to help Thaksin, don't you agree?

A: I do. I think Thaksin should do soul-searching. Statesmen's paths are those with thorns and obstacles such as those of Nelson Mandela, Ang San Suu Kyi, Mahatma Gandhi. If Thaksin agrees to go to jail, he will win the hearts of people all over the country. He will rise to being a statesman. I wish to see him as a statesman because he is valuable to the country. During his eight year in power, he helped make a great leap [forward for] the country. Over the past six years, the country has been lacklustre. If Thaksin agrees to accept a jail term for allowing his wife to buy the Ratchada land, he would set a new bar for our justice system. Other convicts commit more serious offences, they receive only suspended jail terms.

Q: Your standing point on charter amendment is reputed to bring about conflict.

A: I believe there are three ways out of our charter amendment crisis: One, call a third reading House vote; two, call a public referendum before calling a vote; three, suspend the amendment bill and take recourse in House regulation number 39 to propose charter amendment, article by article.

I personally prefer the second option, but I believe the government would opt for the third option which is to suspend the amendment bill and amend Article 68. The government believes that a public referendum should be held after the charter writers finish their charter draft.

Q: Reconciliation bills and charter amendment must be carried out at the same time if Thaksin is to come back.

A: No, they are not related. To help Thaksin, we need only the reconciliation bills.

Q: What does the future hold for our country? When will the conflicts be removed?

A: I see no future for our country because society does not use reason.

Q: Since you are an uncle of SuchartTancharoen, you are seen as someone who can balance the power of the government.

A: No. Suchart did not help me win the seat, if he had, I would have been attacked. Suchart is ill and cannot become involved. Actually I almost gave up from the beginning because I felt isolated. I have been attacked by many groups. Why do other groups gang up against me. Why do I face so much opposition?

Q: Really? People gang up against your being voted as Senate Speaker?

A: No. gang up means banning this person from being Speaker.

Q: Reports say SuthepThaugsuban, who is facing impeachment proceedings by the Senate over his alleged interference at the Culture Ministry, has also been lobbying against your rise to Speaker post?

A: I have no idea, but Suthep will receive justice as he can present any evidence to the Senate. It is not easy to remove an official because up to 89, or three fifth of votes, are needed.

Q: If the Senate can remove Suthep, it means the Senate is dominated by the government.

A: Not like that. Actually the Senate wants to remove many officials ever since the Constitution empowered us to do so, but so far we have not been able to remove one single official.

Q: Under your leadership, is it likely some officials would be successfully removed?

A: That has nothing to do with me. I am a Chair but senators vote to remove officials. Impeachment will be carried out with justice.

Q: Your role as the new Senate Speaker [comes with] criticism that you are not neutral.

A: Even though I am the Chacheongsao Senator and I am seen to have political affiliations because I am a relative of SuchartTancharoen, [for] my entire working life, I have only sided with the people. They accuse me of favouritism because they cannot find fault with me, so they resort to the incident where I supported the charter amendment and protested against the Opposition over their prolonged charter debate.

Let time prove me and see if I carry out my duty with neutrality. I am not going to be KhunKon number 2 (referring to House Speaker Somsak Kiatsuranont). I know House regulations by heart and for this role I must possess both artistry and science. I know I must have a sense of humour and compromise. Somsak was too strict and direct.

Wearing this hat, I will see both people who love me and hate me. I will coordinate with every party. Those who hate me, I do not know how to change their minds. I am a straightforward person. It is impossible for me to keep mum. The Senate Speaker does not have a head just to wear a hat.

Q: After completing your term, what is next?

A: I cannot stop working. I probably will continue to be in politics. If I can choose, I want to apply as a senatorial candidate. It is up to the charter amendment, if this is possible because the current Constitution bans Senators from engaging in politics for two years after their term.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-08-20

If he is really Thai-some pretty well thoughts.in matter to flourish this beautiful country I think Mr T is a reasonable alternative to get things forward,even he and his clan will profit at most....but sometimes the prosperity of a few people can benefit many others....anyway is there really another choice?

If he is really Thai-some pretty well thoughts.in matter to flourish this beautiful country I think Mr T is a reasonable alternative to get things forward,even he and his clan will profit at most....but sometimes the prosperity of a few people can benefit many others....anyway is there really another choice?

It appears you favor trickle down economics.

It appears you favor trickle down economics.

With considerable layers of absorbent tissue above the untrickled lower echelons. More like drip-feeding than trickle-down.

Q: What does the future hold for our country? When will the conflicts be removed?

This is one of the best things I have ever heard from a Thai politician. He actually understands, and more importantly, voices a problem which is very clear. What get's done about it is another matter.

Thaksin should have built himself a nice wing on a prison, and did his time for a year ages ago. It's not as if he would be made to languish, 50 to a room, with druggies, murderers and all the other people in there. Could have had a nice tunnel to a helipad, whizz around and do anything he likes for a year and no one would be the wiser. Then the big elephant in the room that is Thailand would have been sorted out years ago and they could be looking forward again.

Going to jail would make Thaksin a prisoner.

That is my unquestionable fact for the day.

Whilst he is at large, the remaining cases against him could progress.

They would make him a longer term prisoner if found guilty.

I shall no go and have a ponder on the differences between being a statesman and being held at the pleasure of the state.

• Like 1

If he was a coach of a basketball team, he would say something like; 'I see no use in playing this game. You're all flunkies, and we're going to lose, so put away your uniforms and forget about sports.'

Some earlier post responses expressed my thoughts, such as 'sow's ear / purse'. Also, using the names 'Mandela, Suu Ki, and Ghandi' in the same sentence as Thaksin, is degrading. He won't ever do any time, so let's accept that, and hope the menace will stay outside Thailand and fade away, so Thais can start to focus on bettering their lives and the condition of the environment. Thailand is more than people. It's more than cities and housing developments. When Thais start to realize that, and start to be nurturing toward other species and the environment, then Thailand will be on its way to improving.

• Like 2

Thats a rather rash statement, very few statesmen have evolved out of sth east Asia ,Mr Lee from Singapore comes to mind, quite afew despots have come and gone through the years, depends on what coloured shirt you wear I guess, around Thailand.cheesy.gif

Almighty God of stuffed rabbits, they are springing up everywhere. :blink:

Well I suppose that Thaksin's recently stated objective of infliltrating all levels of government control is one (giant) step closer to fruition. Thank-goodness the senate don't have any real power unless they agree on something in an overwhelming majority.

As to Thaksin becoming a statesman through serving his prison sentence. <deleted>, what planet is Nikom on? :cheesy:

Thaksin know's full well that if he comes back to serve, it is likely he will see out the rest of his days in some form of detention due to the numerous and most obviously guily charges awaiting his court appearance for explanation, or quite possibly be found having suffered an "apparent" suicide, once the invisible hands have got him within their control.

Edited by RogueExpat

Almighty God of stuffed rabbits, they are springing up everywhere. blink.png

Well I suppose that Thaksin's recently stated objective of infliltrating all levels of government control is one (giant) step closer to fruition. Thank-goodness the senate don't have any real power unless they agree on something in an overwhelming majority.

As to Thaksin becoming a statesman through serving his prison sentence. <deleted>, what planet is Nikom on? cheesy.gif

Thaksin know's full well that if he comes back to serve, it is likely he will see out the rest of his days in some form of detention due to the numerous and most obviously guily charges awaiting his court appearance for explanation, or quite possibly be found having suffered an "apparent" suicide, once the invisible hands have got him within their control.

Well stated.

"As to Thaksin becoming a statesman through serving his prison sentence. <deleted>, what planet is Nikom on? "

You might well ask. This out of the mouth of a presumably educated man?

Does he have any idea what a statesman is? Someone who has done good things for their country and has the country's interests at heart.

Unfortunately for him, Mr Thaksin only has his own interests at heart.

Yes, Mr. Toxic should return, and face the music. He is a coward. Pure and simple. A half man. A small man. A poor man, in spirit. A small hearted man. A wimpy man. A tiny man, without a warrior spirit. What is a year or two in prison? What a complete waste of a man.

• Like 1

Going to jail would make Thaksin a statesman

Does anyone actually believe he would survive this ?

I for one do not.

And I believe he feels the same way and that is why he has not done so.

(Even though he should)

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time !

It is often forgotten that during the Thaksin years practically everyone was doing well economically, not just Thailand. It is also forgotten that unlike most Thailand made it through the bad time that followed largely thanks to that rare commodity, a competetent Thai government minister, in Korn.

And what about this past year of (de facto) Thaksin rule?

And you can't compare Thaksin with world renowned political icons like Ghandi, Mandela and Suu Kyi any more than you can compare a Thai Rolex with the real thing.

• Like 1