Rowdy Students Severely Beat High School Teacher: Samut Prakan

webfact

If anyone would slap my kid i would rip his f....ng head off.

You just do not slap any-ones kids that's a job for the parents.

And if parents forsake the duty to discipline their kids, where/when does it happen, if at all?

Since when did discipline and physical violence go hand in hand? If parents forsake their duty to discipline their children and their children in turn act in an illegal manner than it becomes the duty of the police to arrest them and charge them appropriately, not the duty of a vigilante teacher, or anyone else for that matter, to break the law and assault them.

The fact is the teacher acted illegally by striking the boys, setting the example to the youth that he has no respect for the laws of the land. They in turn responded, considerably more viciously, with their own show of physical violence and disrespect for the law.

A more pertinent question might be which of those involved, by the very nature of his job, should be setting an example to the children to adhere to the law and act in a responsible fashion?

• Like 2

Responding to antisocial behavior once it becomes criminal is one way of managing discipline, albeit after the event, and often after it is too late to change such antisocial attitudes and behaviors.

Trying to guide and educate individuals towards socially acceptable behaviors, and preventing such incidents is another. I prefer the latter to dealing with criminality that results from a lack of positive social models, influences, discipline and education.

Responding to antisocial behavior once it becomes criminal is one way of managing discipline, albeit after the event, and often after it is too late to change such antisocial attitudes and behaviors.

Trying to guide and educate individuals towards socially acceptable behaviors, and preventing such incidents is another. I prefer the latter to dealing with criminality that results from a lack of positive social models, influences, discipline and education.

Responding to antisocial behaviour (let's remember that swearing isn't a criminal act) with physical assault (let's remember that slapping someone in the head is a criminal act, whether or not you agree with the legal status) is no way to discipline anyone. It's assault plain and simple and just reinforces the idea that Thailand's laws apply only to those too poor or of too low a social status to flout them.

Trying to guide and educate individuals towards socially acceptable behaviour is clearly preferable to responding to typical antisocial youth behaviour with criminality! Whether or not that education requires the use of physical violence is clearly a topic where opinion is divided. Given that virtually every modern study of the topic shows that actually those who experience violence as a child are more likely to be abusive to others as an adult, I have to side against it.

The main issue with this being that some are more capable of adapting, growing and changing their ways than others - when the majority of the population understand only direct physical rebukes because that is how they were brought up themselves unfortunately the cycle of belief that discipline and physical violence are one in the same will perpetuate until a more widespread acceptance and understanding takes place. Let's not forget the parents now are those brought up in a time when corporal punishment was legal and common place (not that it isn't still now, that's half the issue)...

I believe another real problem that Thailand faces in this regard is that deliberate and wanton flaunting of the laws of the land and widespread corruption undermine any effort to raise socially responsible children here. How can one expect the youth to be socially responsible in a society that shows a complete lack of responsibility to it's own members?! How many Thai adults are socially responsible yet we expect their children to be?!

When politicians sons openly get away with murder, literally, what message does that send to the youth of Thailand from less privileged families? When a teacher takes it on himself to openly break the law and physically assault minors because he considers himself socially above them and hence above the law, what message does that send?

All good points and good questions. smile.png Given the environment in which this all happened (outlined above, thanks), what practicable action would you have recommended the teacher take?

Please keep in mind that people's trust and reliance on the local constabulary to enforce the law is severely undermined. What are the options?

Edited by Reasonableman
  • Like 1

And if parents forsake the duty to discipline their kids, where/when does it happen, if at all?

I have never even raised my hand to my children and the very thought of striking a child makes me feel sick in the stomach. I couldn't possibly touch my child as I know exactly what it is like. I still have the scars on my upper legs and lower back from being disciplined by my step father. He would use a twitch to inflict punishment over a four year period and on numerous occassion tearing the skin on my body which has left the scars. It wasn't until I got the courage at 13 yrs of age and went to the police that it stopped. He was sentenced to 18 month for his form of discipline and attempting to instill in me respect for him. He never got my respect and I hated him with a passion and prayed that he would die a slow painful traumatic death. You can't make people respect you by trying to beat it into them.

Our Children are disciplined but not by the means of physical force and pain. They are respectful and well behaved.

• Like 1

All good points and good questions. smile.png Given the environment in which this all happened (outlined above, thanks), what practicable action would you have recommended the teacher take?

Please keep in mind that people's trust and reliance on the local constabulary to enforce the law is severely undermined. What are the options?

It's a tricky one isn't it but given that all he had evidence of them doing was the use of bad language I would suggest a quiet word in their ear, take names/ ID and a promise to contact their parents & police should they come back to the premises. Had they actually committed a criminal act then unfortunately the less than convincing Thai constabulary would be the only legal option...

In my personal experience the teachers I had the greatest respect for growing up were not those that resorted to violence but those that gave the impression that it was beneath them - they didn't have to get physical because they demanded respect by their very nature. You act up you will lose, there was no debating it, they came across so worldly and knowledgeable that you knew crossing them would not be wise. The ones that would get creative with their punishments, running laps, carrying paper, mildly humiliating lines in front of the school - "I am a numpty for drawing a penis on my history text book" etc. Of course I was lucky in that my parents would not skirt their roles in ensuring I towed the line; it didn't stop me being a complete little b'stard at times but I like to think the end result wasn't too bad considering!

At the other end of the spectrum I always recall a PE teacher, new to the school, that cuffed me hard for forgetting my kit, then made me do the class in my underwear. He had taken an instant dislike to me when he started, pegged me as a trouble maker and was just waiting for an excuse to lash out at me. That stuck with me and I made it my mission to undermine him and everything he did at the school. I was always a big lad for my age and I got the opportunity at the end of year students/ teachers Rugby game. I agreed before the match with a good mate that we would take any opportunity when he was in possession of the ball to make an example out of him... we got our chance as he broke blind side from the scrum near our 22, my mate went for his legs while I threw myself as hard as I could shoulder first into his ribs, he spilled the ball, fell awkwardly and was stretchered off with a twisted ankle and a few broken ribs to the cheers of the entire year group and the chuckles of a good few teachers. He didn't touch me again and left the school not long afterwards.

Now, on good terms with a few of my ex-teachers, it's apparent that he had been pegged a bully from the moment he started. Off the back of a failed military career teaching wasn't exactly his calling but a necessity for income. Unfortunately the same could be said for far too many teachers in that respect - teaching has become a low paid, under respected job resorted to when an individual doesn't succeed in their chosen career path... "those that can do those that can't teach" springs to mind. In reality good teachers are worth their weight in gold to society and should be highly prized and rewarded - increasing the salaries of teachers and hence the desire for people to pursue teaching as a career path rather than a lowly paid backup plan if all else fails would be a good step in the right direction.

Now every student is different in outlook and disciplinary requirements but in my experience those that really need reigning in will take any physical violence towards them as a challenge. It's far more likely to promote a violent response than instil respect. This idea that somehow fear and respect are linked is total BS, they are tow totally different things and our own internal make up & experiences have far more to do with how we react to a given threat (fight or flight).

It takes a good teacher to control a class with wit, intelligence and reason while a poor one resorts to violence in frustration that they don't possess the attributes to control the class in any other way... my twopence on the subject for what it's worth.

I have never even raised my hand to my children and the very thought of striking a child makes me feel sick in the stomach. I couldn't possibly touch my child as I know exactly what it is like. I still have the scars on my upper legs and lower back from being disciplined by my step father. He would use a twitch to inflict punishment over a four year period and on numerous occassion tearing the skin on my body which has left the scars. It wasn't until I got the courage at 13 yrs of age and went to the police that it stopped. He was sentenced to 18 month for his form of discipline and attempting to instill in me respect for him. He never got my respect and I hated him with a passion and prayed that he would die a slow painful traumatic death. You can't make people respect you by trying to beat it into them.

Our Children are disciplined but not by the means of physical force and pain. They are respectful and well behaved.

I'm sorry to hear of your experience but most people on here are able to make a distinction between a clip round the ear and the abuse that you describe. I also applaud you on the success with your own children but many other parents obviously cannot follow your example.

Edited by sysardman

Responding to antisocial behaviour (let's remember that swearing isn't a criminal act) with physical assault (let's remember that slapping someone in the head is a criminal act, whether or not you agree with the legal status) is no way to discipline anyone. It's assault plain and simple and just reinforces the idea that Thailand's laws apply only to those too poor or of too low a social status to flout them.

Trying to guide and educate individuals towards socially acceptable behaviour is clearly preferable to responding to typical antisocial youth behaviour with criminality! Whether or not that education requires the use of physical violence is clearly a topic where opinion is divided. Given that virtually every modern study of the topic shows that actually those who experience violence as a child are more likely to be abusive to others as an adult, I have to side against it.

The main issue with this being that some are more capable of adapting, growing and changing their ways than others - when the majority of the population understand only direct physical rebukes because that is how they were brought up themselves unfortunately the cycle of belief that discipline and physical violence are one in the same will perpetuate until a more widespread acceptance and understanding takes place. Let's not forget the parents now are those brought up in a time when corporal punishment was legal and common place (not that it isn't still now, that's half the issue)...

I believe another real problem that Thailand faces in this regard is that deliberate and wanton flaunting of the laws of the land and widespread corruption undermine any effort to raise socially responsible children here. How can one expect the youth to be socially responsible in a society that shows a complete lack of responsibility to it's own members?! How many Thai adults are socially responsible yet we expect their children to be?!

When politicians sons openly get away with murder, literally, what message does that send to the youth of Thailand from less privileged families? When a teacher takes it on himself to openly break the law and physically assault minors because he considers himself socially above them and hence above the law, what message does that send?

Once again a lot of opinion , No facts , As someone familiar with the Thai education system for some 5 years now teaching in high schools, there are many problems, many bad education policies and many things needed to raise standards But something that wont improve the situation is worrying about the effect the slap around the head or the whack with the cane has on the worst ,badly behaved students because it works.

Edited by KKvampire
  • Like 1

Once again a lot of opinion , No facts , As someone familiar with the Thai education system for some 5 years now teaching in high schools, there are many problems, many bad education policies and many things needed to raise standards But something that wont improve the situation is worrying about the effect the slap around the head or the whack with the cane has on the worst ,badly behaved students because it works.

Lack of respect for anything and anyone other than a token respect for family, coupled with a complete lack of understanding of what accountability means and how it should be applied in day to day life is why this type of stuff happens, and actually why nothing but a few slaps will work. Boys more so than girls here are thoroughly clamped to their mothers apron strings and milky tits all of their lives. They can do no wrong, never get disciplined, never held to account for their actions (even in a law court either if they have a few pennies under the mattress). The reason why these kids need a clout around the head is because you can not reason with someone who simply does not care. They are basically a country where 50% of the population are socio-paths.

Edited by Pseudolus
  • Like 1

"Once again a lot of opinion , No facts ,..."

KKvampire, I think you must have some valuable experience to draw upon, and I would be interested to hear your take on bad education policies and how you think they could be fixed.

But in terms of the discussion of corporal punishment in the classroom, it bears pointing out that there are not many facts presented in your own argument above. There are many studies that indicate that corporal punishment is counter-productive-- I won't post links here, you can google them up yourself. Do you have anything to support your assertion that "a slap around the head, or a whack with the cane" does indeed "work"?

For me, there is the additional problem of how such punishment is metered. Physical punishment can do damage. Notwithstanding the psychological issues, the physical damage can be lasting. Where does society draw the line, and how is this regulated?

Looking at the larger picture, the conditions of society are not addressed with corporal punishment, either... Nor are issues concerning what may be underlying causes of acting out for a particular student, which may range from psychological to environmental to physiological. How to handle these? Not to mention the fact that certain groups will unavoidably receive more corporal punishment for similar infractions.

Edited by DeepInTheForest
  • Like 1

Teachers from experience can say ‘it works’ about corporal punishment – but only because they are seeing short term and local. It usually does work in the short term but resentment and disrespect builds up. It did not work in the OP did it!

All the posters who want to beat children have been belted themselves – it is a vicious circle.

• Like 1

Teachers from experience can say ‘it works’ about corporal punishment – but only because they are seeing short term and local. It usually does work in the short term but resentment and disrespect builds up. It did not work in the OP did it!

All the posters who want to beat children have been belted themselves – it is a vicious circle.

My generation, kids acting naughty, see policeman, run a country mile.

Standard police issue, uniform, handcuffs, small wood truncheon.

Today's generation, kids acting naughty, see policeman, swear, spit, attack.

Standard police issue, uniform+stab vest, handcuffs with backup cable ties, pepper spray,

high tech telescopic steel truncheon, taser, radio for backup.

Draw your own conclusions

Kids these days just have no respect for their elders...Nothing wrong with a clip round the ear...the world is in the state it is due to the leftist liberal ideas of the ruling elite and those thay have brainwashed over the past few decades. Catch em and birch em, show them a lesson.

Agree 100%. You never saw or heard of a student touching a teacher when I went to school in the 60's and 70's. The teacher should not have touched the kids for giving him the finger I agree, but how are we to know the tension that is surrounding this school and many more like it. We only hear a few of the stories and I'm sure it's a battle ground out there.

Touch what?

Touch where?

Why hasnt this bridge dwelling poster been banned yet??

Well I'm not surprised. The teacher/ student violence thing is never far away. As an example, there was a student fight in our local market, a call went over the tannoy for some teachers to break it up, the two teachers that were there walked in the other direction.

Well I'm not surprised. The teacher/ student violence thing is never far away. As an example, there was a student fight in our local market, a call went over the tannoy for some teachers to break it up, the two teachers that were there walked in the other direction.

Don't blame them either. What authority does a teacher have in a market? None. Barely have any respect or authority in a school here so to ask them to get in the mix between the school gangs fighting it out is ludicrous. I guess the police were watching on, sat in a chair, smoking away, thinking how great their kids were at fighting whilst looking at you wondering how they can extort money out of you today.

Sorry to hear of your bad experiences.... but you came out of the other side and argue your point well.... You hit on two key words 'discipline' and 'respect'. I have been a teacher (including stints as a Depute Head Teacher) for almost 40 years, starting out in a deprived and difficult area of Tottenham, London for 12 years, where the violence was almost endemic.... a colleague was stabbed in the back, and several others were assaulted. I know well from experience that corporal punishment does not work: violence generally begets violence. The best way to educate children about acceptable behaviour is to demonstrate it to them, by example. We do not demand respect, but we earn it. Sure, there are some individuals that this has not worked with, but IMO and in my experience, these kids have been so damaged in their early years, often through physical, sexual and psychological abuse, that it takes specialist services to help them.

No doubt I will get trashed for this, but I'm going to play the constipated owl and not give a hoot, because I KNOW I am right.... and not ranting about badly behaved kids. They are KIDS, <deleted>, and it is up to adults to try to help them live decent lives.

This does not mean that I condone in any way what the thugs in the OP did... I agree that they deserve to be punished IN LAW, and in an ideal world (I know it does not exist, so save your blood pressure, guys), I would like to see the parents also dealt with for not bringing them up better.... It is a vicious circle with each successive generation trashing the next. That circle has to be broken. ... which is where proper leadership and guidance for young people is needed. Parents shouldn't blame teachers...but they do the whole world over, because it is easy to duck their responsibility and dump it on the teachers. In reality, parents have the kids for maybe 16 hours a day, teachers have them for 8. Educating kids is a multi-faceted partnership...school, parents, society and the kids themselves working together for the sake of the kids.

I am saddened by the violence reported in the OP, and equally saddened by some of the knee-jerk hang-em-high comments in some posts. I will not say they are ill-informed, because we all have different points of view... I am not looking to argue, flame or get flamed, but I reserve the right to disagree with you and to try to get you to see a different perspective. Yes, sometimes kids do need to be punished, to help them learn boundaries of acceptable behaviour, but this does not include hitting them. I got the cane when I was a schoolkid.... What did I learn from it?.... I learned to be a damned sight more careful so that next time I did not get caught..... I also hated the b#stard who caned me. Fortunately for me, I had plenty of other good teachers, who I respected, and I had parents who set limits without resorting to violence. I hope I have done an equally good job on my own kids and grandchildren.

OK.... I am now ambling towards the foxhole, already hearing cries of "I N C O M I N G....". H...h....h.... Nope... I still don't give a hoot! coffee1.gif

• Like 2

I guess the police were watching on, sat in a chair, smoking away, thinking how great their kids were at fighting whilst looking at you wondering how they can extort money out of you today.

And, sadly, this is how it would probably transpire. whistling.gif

I was thinking about this over the weekend.

Then I put it out of my mind because my thoughts began to focus too rationally on any viable solution. There is simply no way around this problem going away, and only getting worse for society. What we fear will become the norm.

The next two generations of young Thais will change the face of this country to the point that it will be unrecognizable from what it is now. I mean it will become more brutal, apathetic, reactive in violent ways and severely callous than what it is now. And that will be the norm... and "Thai-ness" will accept it.

Then I put it out of my mind because my thoughts began to focus too rationally on any viable solution. There is simply no way around this problem going away, and only getting worse for society. What we fear will become the norm.

The next two generations of young Thais will change the face of this country to the point that it will be unrecognizable from what it is now. I mean it will become more brutal, apathetic, reactive in violent ways and severely callous than what it is now. And that will be the norm... and "Thai-ness" will accept it.

Can't remember who, but someone once wrote that certain countries can not handle democracy and really benefit from a mild dictator. Thailand and the Philippines were the examples given; where the populace is so sociopathic in their leanings that democracy just can not work; no one is capable of thinking of a greater good where is might impinge upon their own wallet. Problem is though with Thailand, the moral compass is so far off kilter now, the only type of leader they can produce will be the worst kind of despotic dictator about. Some might argue they had one of those already who seemed to be quite popular before getting booted out.....

In a society where accountability is shameful, where corruption is thought to be a good thing, a good man / woman could never be the political leader such as a prime minister. My guess is that in the next couple of coups, the Army will simply not hand over power again and just remain claiming it is for the greater good. In thailand, that is probably true.

Edited by Pseudolus
  • Like 1

Can't remember who, but someone once wrote that certain countries can not handle democracy and really benefit from a mild dictator. Thailand and the Philippines were the examples given; where the populace is so sociopathic in their leanings that democracy just can not work; no one is capable of thinking of a greater good where is might impinge upon their own wallet. Problem is though with Thailand, the moral compass is so far off kilter now, the only type of leader they can produce will be the worst kind of despotic dictator about. Some might argue they had one of those already who seemed to be quite popular before getting booted out.....

In a society where accountability is shameful, where corruption is thought to be a good thing, a good man / woman could never be the political leader such as a prime minister. My guess is that in the next couple of coups, the Army will simply not hand over power again and just remain claiming it is for the greater good. In thailand, that is probably true.

Contemplating the Western political system that I inherited, I swell with pride in my origins. (No funny remarks, now.)

As we all should be aware, our prime ministers are conscientious sorts, acting with the greater good in mind. Mind you, there is the rare exception, which only serves to underscore the rule.

http://www.ianfraser...e-at-its-peril/

The army running things would probably be for the best. Nothing improves things like a little order.

Is Sonthi still available?

Edited by DeepInTheForest

• 3 months later...

No teacher has the right to slap a student. I thought corpral punishment was banned in civilised societies 40 yrs ago.

Indeed, and society has been on a downward trend ever since.

+1

The problem with kids these days is their parents, as they won't do their job of raising their children to be good citizens.

Kids today are largely brats, and I say so from experience.

Unfortunately, we will all suffer in the future for the sins of today's parents.