Rowdy Students Severely Beat High School Teacher: Samut Prakan

webfact

Tun, 15, Iang, 14, and Phon, 15. Their names have been changed in accordance with Thai law.

Now, who could've guessed that ! rolleyes.gif

Nanny state!

Have you just got out of bed Semper? rather late in the day to be joining the debate/argument (and put that nanny down - how many time must you be toldgiggle.gif )

@ Ferangled: You clearly have never been in a Thai classroom, nor could you possibly have been around Thais generally. You have way, way over-exaggerated the significance of the head-touching issue. It doesn't apply really at all if the individual doing the touching is socially more advanced than he/she touched and it is very haphazardly adhered to anyways. I second the poster who said you need to toss out the guidebook. I have seen Thai teachers strike their charges ON THE HEAD OR FACE hundreds if not thousands of times.

As I mentioned the head touching bit I would like to clarify that it is obviously not accepted if the person is a complete stranger and there is absolutely no reason to be touching that person. In short it's OK between friends and enemies.

Actually on that subject the feet are really the touchy subject, I once nudged the other half with my foot and nearly started WW3w00t.gif

You've summed it up quite well. I forgot to add that you have to know the person. And you're right about the feet. That definitely tends to be the biggest issue. It's the reason the ottoman is not a popular piece of furniture in good ol' Thailand.

• Like 1

@ Ferangled: You clearly have never been in a Thai classroom, nor could you possibly have been around Thais generally. You have way, way over-exaggerated the significance of the head-touching issue. It doesn't apply really at all if the individual doing the touching is socially more advanced than he/she touched and it is very haphazardly adhered to anyways. I second the poster who said you need to toss out the guidebook. I have seen Thai teachers strike their charges ON THE HEAD OR FACE hundreds if not thousands of times.

Also, what head trauma are you talking about? The teacher's head trauma? It sounds like you didn't read my post very well. You're making up events and you tell me to "get a grip" when I commented on the very, very frequent lament from elderly Thais (at hearing stories like this one) that Thai culture is crumbling. I personally don't have any feelings one way or the other, so I'm not sure I still need to "get a grip".

Are you trying to justify the actions of the belligerent older brother (who was not in any way involved in what originally took place)? That's what it sounds like. This is Thailand. Period. They use corporal punishment in schools. Period. Get over it.

Yes clearly if you have seen teachers slapping children about the head & face hundreds if not thousands of times then that's perfectly acceptable behaviour in a modern society...?! Has it never struck you that possibly that may be the route cause of the excessive violence we see here... no, crazy stuff, this teaching method is obviously working a charm and we are reaping the rewards in this truly functional modern society that is Thailand!!!

Incidentally is anyone noticing the correlation in that those supporting this violent outburst are also prone to insulting others and petty name calling in getting their point across? Again, must be me and my "slanted" perspective of life! Couldn't possibly just deal with the subject matter and debate in an adult fashion I guess... maybe not enough hugs from mummy or one to many beatings from daddy, eh?!

Did I get lawyer wrong is it politician? I knew you would seize on the unfortunate comment by @Unkomoncents and twist it to fit your argument. Also if you are having a dig at my little injections of humour you have shot yourself in the foot by resorting to the same name calling. The only truth you speak is your admission to having a slanted perspective on life.

Oh by the way it's 'root cause' not 'route cause'. Grammar mistakes never look good on a resume.

Edited by sysardman

Also, what head trauma are you talking about? The teacher's head trauma? It sounds like you didn't read my post very well. You're making up events and you tell me to "get a grip" when I commented on the very, very frequent lament from elderly Thais (at hearing stories like this one) that Thai culture is crumbling. I personally don't have any feelings one way or the other, so I'm not sure I still need to "get a grip".

Are you trying to justify the actions of the belligerent older brother (who was not in any way involved in what originally took place)? That's what it sounds like. This is Thailand. Period. They use corporal punishment in schools. Period. Get over it.

Yes clearly if you have seen teachers slapping children about the head & face hundreds if not thousands of times then that's perfectly acceptable behaviour in a modern society...?! Has it never struck you that possibly that may be the route cause of the excessive violence we see here... no, crazy stuff, this teaching method is obviously working a charm and we are reaping the rewards in this truly functional modern society that is Thailand!!!

Incidentally is anyone noticing the correlation in that those supporting this violent outburst are also prone to insulting others and petty name calling in getting their point across? Again, must be me and my "slanted" perspective of life! Couldn't possibly just deal with the subject matter and debate in an adult fashion I guess... maybe not enough hugs from mummy or one to many beatings from daddy, eh?!

Did I get lawyer wrong is it politician? I knew you would seize on the unfortunate comment by @Unkomoncents and twist it to fit your argument. Also if you are having a dig at my little injections of humour you have shot yourself in the foot by resorting to the same name calling. The only truth you speak is your admission to having a slanted perspective on life.

Oh by the way it's 'root cause' not 'route cause'. Spelling mistakes never look good on a resume.

My apologies for my spelling mistake please sir, do not beat me for my hastened prose... Why is it of no surprise that, once again and true to form, you ignore all points raised and simply counter with yet more nit picking?! Humour?! I must have missed it or perhaps what you mistake for humour (by definition it has to be amusing), is actually taken as childish name calling?!

Kids these days just have no respect for their elders...Nothing wrong with a clip round the ear...the world is in the state it is due to the leftist liberal ideas of the ruling elite and those thay have brainwashed over the past few decades. Catch em and birch em, show them a lesson.

Have you considered that the adults have not earned the respect? Children are surrounded by adults that are corrupt, and that are neither polite nor respectful. The children are merely following the example set by the "adults".

And would it not be better to rise above that and be a better person than just saying 'well I saw them do it so i'm gonna'?

Oh by the way it's 'root cause' not 'route cause'. Spelling mistakes never look good on a resume.

My apologies for my spelling mistake please sir, do not beat me for my hastened prose... Why is it of no surprise that, once again and true to form, you ignore all points raised and simply counter with yet more nit picking?! Humour?! I must have missed it or perhaps what you mistake for humour (by definition it has to be amusing), is actually taken as childish name calling?!

Sorry I changed it, it was a grammar mistake - and I'm getting more likes than you are nah, nah, nah, naaahh, nah

Incidentally is anyone noticing the correlation in that those supporting this violent outburst are also prone to insulting others and petty name calling in getting their point across? Again, must be me and my "slanted" perspective of life! Couldn't possibly just deal with the subject matter and debate in an adult fashion I guess...

maybe not enough hugs from mummy or one to many beatings from daddy, eh?!

"Incidentally is anyone noticing the correlation in that those supporting this violent outburst are also prone to insulting others and petty name calling in getting their point across?" Hypocrisy thy name is...

• Like 1

What does amuse me reading back through this thread are the utter contradictions we have in the posts here... the same members arguing that the current state of youth violence is caused by too liberal, PC views and a lack of corporal punishment in schools, but then going on to argue that slapping children about the head and face in Thailand is common place and accepted in Thai society, where corporal punishment is legal. Is that caused by senility/ old age or one too many beatings as a child? Who knows but it shows a definite lack of reasoning and structured thought.

An interesting blend of views which just don't seem to add up, whether your chosen method of arithmetic is mental, by abacus or calculator... whatever your view point I would strongly discourage slapping any children about the head or face for using bad language. It will not end well for you in any country I have experience of. Lest we forget, despite the slew of members declaring these children as vicious, spoilt little brats, guilty of bombing the school, they were found guilty of only one trait - bad language.

Whatever speculation you care to add to spice up your posts there is absolutely no evidence to suggest these children did anything more sinister than use a bad word, having been accosted by a stranger, albeit a teacher, searched and ID taken.

Incidentally if you believe that by dint of being a teacher you are somehow infallible and beyond reproach perhaps you should read the news more. The alarming rate of child abuse in schools would indicate it is prudent to question the motivations and actions of those entrusted to educate the youth...

Tun, 15, Iang, 14, and Phon, 15. Their names have been changed in accordance with Thai law.

Now, who could've guessed that ! rolleyes.gif

Nanny state!

Have you just got out of bed Semper? rather late in the day to be joining the debate/argument (and put that nanny down - how many time must you be toldgiggle.gif )

No, I've been busy slaping my computer around all day to get it working.

Incidentally is anyone noticing the correlation in that those supporting this violent outburst are also prone to insulting others and petty name calling in getting their point across? Again, must be me and my "slanted" perspective of life! Couldn't possibly just deal with the subject matter and debate in an adult fashion I guess...

"Incidentally is anyone noticing the correlation in that those supporting this violent outburst are also prone to insulting others and petty name calling in getting their point across?" Hypocrisy thy name is...

Hypocrisy in what way? Have I called anyone any names or resorted to petty insults in this thread? Do you perchance refer to my suggestion that possibly a lack of mummy love and a rather physical approach from daddy could cause a lack of self esteem/ psychological issue that would result in a lack of acceptance of the views of others and a tendency to ignore the sentiments expressed by others in favour of base insults?

Some may find this interesting, apparently Corporal Punishment has been prohibited in Thai Schools since 2000.

Sombat Tapanya gives talk at Global Summit on Ending Corporal Punishment and Promoting Positive Discipline, Dallas, TX, June 2-4, 2011. Addressing Promoting Positive School Discipline in Thailand.

Edited by chooka

Hypocrisy in what way? Have I called anyone any names or resorted to petty insults in this thread? Do you perchance refer to my suggestion that possibly a lack of mummy love and a rather physical approach from daddy could cause a lack of self esteem/ psychological issue that would result in a lack of acceptance of the views of others and a tendency to ignore the sentiments expressed by others in favour of base insults?

I rest my case M'lud - this person believes that because others don't accept his twisted arguments and manipulation of truths then they are guilty as charged.

You stated in the post before this that the students were only guilty of a few insults - when did the beating crap out of a teacher suddenly get forgotten.

Get off your soap box - the altitude is affecting your brain

well actually, no. I don't think this is acceptable, What planet are all you fluffy Thai defenders on where you leap to the defence of these bastards? Seriously! What is wrong with you. He is the head teacher. These "untouchable" kids mouth off at him, no doubt in a threatening manner, and he cuffs on. So according to the "when in Thailand" brigade therefore it is open season for him to have his head smashed in. Do you seriously believe that this is positive thing in society? Beggars belief.

When the 'society' is a morbid one bordering on third world, it all seems rather unsurprising and typical. I wonder if they're all Buddhists... bah.gif

What does amuse me reading back through this thread are the utter contradictions we have in the posts here... the same members arguing that the current state of youth violence is caused by too liberal, PC views and a lack of corporal punishment in schools, but then going on to argue that slapping children about the head and face in Thailand is common place and accepted in Thai society, where corporal punishment is legal. Is that caused by senility/ old age or one too many beatings as a child? Who knows but it shows a definite lack of reasoning and structured thought.

An interesting blend of views which just don't seem to add up, whether your chosen method of arithmetic is mental, by abacus or calculator... whatever your view point I would strongly discourage slapping any children about the head or face for using bad language. It will not end well for you in any country I have experience of. Lest we forget, despite the slew of members declaring these children as vicious, spoilt little brats, guilty of bombing the school, they were found guilty of only one trait - bad language

Whatever speculation you care to add to spice up your posts there is absolutely no evidence to suggest these children did anything more sinister than use a bad word, having been accosted by a stranger, albeit a teacher,searched and ID taken.

Incidentally if you believe that by dint of being a teacher you are somehow infallible and beyond reproach perhaps you should read the news more. The alarming rate of child abuse in schools would indicate it is prudent to question the motivations and actions of those entrusted to educate the youth...

I know exactly why I became a teacher and it has nothing to do with the foul insinuations you make above. <Snip>

Edited by metisdead
  • Haha 1

Who said anything about "acceptable in a modern society"? I don't think Thailand is modern at all in the sense that third-world attitudes are rife in Kingdom. I'm confused though: what is your argument exactly? Are you suggesting that the teacher in this case was more wrong than the students/brother of the students? And again, what are you talking about ("...hugs from mummy...")? All I was saying was that this is commonplace practice in Thailand. Many times, when Thai teachers hit the children, the teachers are quite gentle and the boys all simply laugh it off. Many parents also use corporal punishment for transgressions. You seem to want to take on the whole society here. Good for you I guess; it doesn't change the reality on the ground or the points that I made in my last couple of posts. Just so we're clear: there is a difference between talking about the way things are and supporting those things.

I rest my case M'lud - this person believes that because others don't accept his twisted arguments and manipulation of truths then they are guilty as charged.

You stated in the post before this that the students were only guilty of a few insults - when did the beating crap out of a teacher suddenly get forgotten.

Get off your soap box - the altitude is affecting your brain

One to many episodes of Judge Judy perhaps?!

You are deliberately taking my comments out of context which was in reference to the cause of the conflict ie. the teacher slapping the children in response to bad language. I condemn what ensued, the retaliation assault by the brother and and those responsible should be prosecuted accordingly. I have stated this already.

What some seem to fail to understand is that the teacher made the initial assault by slapping the boys which directly resulted in the escalation of the situation and the secondary, retaliation assault.

Should the boys have been using bad language? No. Should that warrant a physical reprimand/ assault by a teacher? Well it appears opinion on that is firmly divided but legally no and in my humble opinion, morally no.

As for the bickering, name calling and speculation as to whether these boys are responsible for the general degradation of Thai society or some deadly terrorist home made fireworks youth movement, I will leave that to others. I do hope that there are still some out there capable and willing to educate and discipline children without the use of violence... and further more intelligent enough to see that the human mind requires slightly more mentally and emotionally involved educational techniques than that we use on dumb animals.

Who said anything about "acceptable in a modern society"? I don't think Thailand is modern at all in the sense that third-world attitudes are rife in Kingdom. I'm confused though: what is your argument exactly? Are you suggesting that the teacher in this case was more wrong than the students/brother of the students? And again, what are you talking about ("...hugs from mummy...")? All I was saying was that this is commonplace practice in Thailand. Many times, when Thai teachers hit the children, the teachers are quite gentle and the boys all simply laugh it off. Many parents also use corporal punishment for transgressions. You seem to want to take on the whole society here. Good for you I guess; it doesn't change the reality on the ground or the points that I made in my last couple of posts. Just so we're clear: there is a difference between talking about the way things are and supporting those things.

I think the 'mummy's boy' comment may have been aimed at me but I've got the measure of this guy now. Obviously a wannabe politician or similar with the use of emotive and flowery writing. The thing is he used 'Lest we forget' in his writing which is stolen directly from the Cenotaph where brave soldiers died for exactly what he is exercising now and trying to deny others 'FREE SPEECH'.

I love this response, the brave teacher patrolling the grounds after the potentially lethal bomb attack!!! They were ping-pong balls filled with gun powder/ similar, the same sort my Dad used to make at school in the 50s... made from emptying shotgun cartridges into ping pong balls, to be thrown at other kids when playing cowboys and indians with sharpened sticks and shotguns! The most you could do was set fire to your eyebrows or burn your hands if you set the fuses too small... it was the arrows you had to watch out for, one uncle blinded and a dodgy knee for life for my Dad... oh yes, the kids of today, where do they get this from I wonder?!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqCyCOqeYuA

I dare you to put one in your hand and let it go off. I dare you.

"Very OTT and a criminal assault for which I'm sure he will be charged with,"

No he won't. He will get away with it. As will all the others because mummy will protect him.

Much like those bangers we used to bring back on school trips and use to blow up cow pats/ dog shits and set the English teachers store room on fire... yes, I have had a ping pong ball bomb go off in my hand, lot of smoke, quite a bang, lost my eyebrows, minor burns on my hands... the distinct lack of any shrapnel however leaves nothing to actually injure, much like a banger. Try it yourself, you might gain a sense of perspective, they're not exactly bombs in the traditional sense of the word, but I guess that wouldn't have suited your story about a brave, bullet dodging teacher patrolling the schools grounds to protect his innocent students... before coming across two totally innocent students and deciding to assault them for the use of bad language... but against a backdrop of war torn BKK, with bombs a flying that's totally acceptable!!!

So.....did you get a clip round the ears for setting the english teachers store on fire? If not, you bloody should have!
  • Like 1

The people in question are not "kids or children", they are teenagers. Giving them a clip around the ear will not change them now, nor will talking to them in a nice friendly manner. They are damaged goods. Most likely to happen is either they will be in jail or sadly to say dead in the next few years. Children do need to learn good behaviour and discipline. Not always physical but mostly through explaination. Thailand and most of the western world has taken away the abililty of parents to do this and it is wrong. Some small % of unworthy parents/teachers have pushed the governments to take the right away from parents to be parents, teachers to be teacher, which is a joke in itself. When I have a child it will learn right from wrong, good from bad. This is going to be the new generation and if we can not show them the right way to lead a decent life then what is the point!!

While clearly students shouldn't be beating up teachers for any reason the old saying "violence begets violence" comes to mind... what the hell is any teacher doing slapping children in the head?

And how about the old saying 'He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes'. (Proverbs 13:24)

Unfortunately parents reluctance to discipline has led to today's 'spoilt brat' society where a child thinks they can do anything if denied what they want. @Chooka talks about civilised societies but from world news I fail to see any of these. Today the news is full of rioting and looting everywhere and when caught on camera the majority appear to be youngsters.

I've lived in Thailand 10 years and I've never seen even one parent (sic) that discipline a kid for any reason. I live in a village full of teens and many need an old fashioned a$$ whippin. All they ever say is "he/she won't listen." This goes for any kid no matter what age, from babies to teens. I've always believed that a Thai kid raise him/her self. Parents refuse to be parents. Parents go off, many to another country and the kid is left to fend for him/her self with who ever will take them. Really sad. The end result is they grow up and be heatherns.

Kids these days just have no respect for their elders...Nothing wrong with a clip round the ear...the world is in the state it is due to the leftist liberal ideas of the ruling elite and those thay have brainwashed over the past few decades. Catch em and birch em, show them a lesson.

Next time I see your kid messing up and I clip him round the ear, you are ok with that?

If you were a teacher at their school and they misbehaved, and continued to do so after verbal warnings, certainly Tom. I will add, blame for their misbehaviour could possibly be proportioned to myselfe for bad parenting so disipline from outside the family can be helpful in controlling kids.

Edited by PattayaPhom

I thought corpral punishment was banned in civilised societies 40 yrs ago.

Which IMO was a huge mistake. What you have now, 4 generations later, are people that have grown up never knowing discipline. Either self discipline or imposed. Thai society is a prime example as we know that the little darlings are never corrected or disciplined. These kids do not have one iota of self respect, no self discipline and no respect for anyone else. If they had, they would have never given the teacher the finger in the first place. Those of us from 5+ generations ago know respect because if we did not display it to our elders, we had the crap beat out of us. Simple as that. Spare the rod, spoil the child.

If one of my children used bad language at school I would expect the teacher to inform me so that as a parent I could punish them accordingly. If I was informed that a teacher, or anyone else for that matter, had taken it upon themselves to assault any member of my family you better believe that I would respond appropriately.

Exactly. As well, just because some of you feel that hitting, slapping, and other forms of abuse are going to actually improve somebody's behaviour, doesn't mean it will. No doubt there are many irresponsible children out there who could use some discipline. As well, they need people they can look up to. If some yobbish headteacher gives his example of discipline by smacking youngsters on the head, how in the world is he to think that they will not learn from his example and do the same back? Possibly if he had been able to calm himself down and speak to them reasonably they would not have reacted in a violent way back to him.

There seem to be a lot of old timers on this board who love the idea of older men spanking, pinching and smacking boys to get them to behave. These same people also seem to revel about the times they were spanked and smacked and pinched as the "good old days". Quite curious!

I see Thai teachers hitting students all the time. The Thai students respond to this treatment. This idea didn't originate from foreigners.

• Like 1

If one of my children used bad language at school I would expect the teacher to inform me so that as a parent I could punish them accordingly. If I was informed that a teacher, or anyone else for that matter, had taken it upon themselves to assault any member of my family you better believe that I would respond appropriately.

Exactly. As well, just because some of you feel that hitting, slapping, and other forms of abuse are going to actually improve somebody's behaviour, doesn't mean it will. No doubt there are many irresponsible children out there who could use some discipline. As well, they need people they can look up to. If some yobbish headteacher gives his example of discipline by smacking youngsters on the head, how in the world is he to think that they will not learn from his example and do the same back? Possibly if he had been able to calm himself down and speak to them reasonably they would not have reacted in a violent way back to him.

There seem to be a lot of old timers on this board who love the idea of older men spanking, pinching and smacking boys to get them to behave. These same people also seem to revel about the times they were spanked and smacked and pinched as the "good old days". Quite curious!

I see Thai teachers hitting students all the time. The Thai students respond to this treatment. This idea didn't originate from foreigners.

I saw a news report this morning that the Government of Tonga is considering re introducing corporal punishment into it's schools. Apparently there has been an increase in assaults on teachers and rivalry between students of opposing schools that have resulted in injuries to students. Incidents like what is happening in Thailand and the subject of this thread.

Edited by chooka
  • Like 1