Train From Bangkok To Laos

Charlie

I am interested to travel from Bangkok to Laos, most likely Vientaine.

Also from Train from Udon Thani to Laos, or Thanaleng ?

Any info on this service, immigration procedures, will be most appreciated.

Will the train wait for passengers to clear Immigration (to and fro) at

Friendship Bridge and so on ?

I understand that that there is a bus service from Nong Khai to Vientaine.

Will the bus wait for the passengers to clear Immigration (to and fro) at

the Friendship Bridge ? Any better suggestions ?

Thanking you all in advance.

1.all info is on seat61.com-as always with trains. In fact there is now No more a train Bkk-VTE, but the old-style to NKhai, where you change to the shuttle to Tanaleng=station in laos, where you pass lao immigration-thus also relaesing you of that anxiety about waiting.

2. there are BUSes from both Khorat, Khon KHaen, udorn and KNKhai to VTE-jointly by BoKoSo and the VTE deprtmt. of Lao state transport, MOST of these buses -as they mainly serve Lao/Thai without any need for visa, will not wait for the extended time faranmg need for visa-some even look at your passpt first and without visa refuse to sell tickets. No sweat-if you had taken hat tiny trouble to open a guidebook, you would have seen that ample transit-as about anywhere in Asia, will be available both sides of border. Some bustiomes (as farang wont to know each+everything monthes before) are-maybe outdated, on a site named thaitransit.blogspot.com

Fly AirAsia, Nokair or Thai to Udon. Get on the shuttle bus from the airport to friendship bridge. Minibus to Vientiane. Total cost with AirAsia or Nokair = around 2300 Baht one way excluding visa. Thai is obviously more expensive. Total travelling time is 4 hours.

Why take the train, unless you enjoy sleeping with annoying smelly backpacker types in a roach infested pit which jolts its way stopping and starting for the best part of a whole day?

• Like 2

the train is a good way to go I like the 1st class cabins don't go into Laos On the train get off at Nong Khai there will be tuk tuks waiting to take you to the border 50 baht you need 20 baht pp for the bus across the border get your visa on arrival there 200-300 baht for a taxi or walk 100 yards from immigration and take the bus from there, I think you need a visa ahead of time to take the bus from NK to VTE, or fly to Udon Thani take the airport shuttle to the border for 200 baht pp

• Like 1

Fly AirAsia, Nokair or Thai to Udon. Get on the shuttle bus from the airport to friendship bridge. Minibus to Vientiane. Total cost with AirAsia or Nokair = around 2300 Baht one way excluding visa. Thai is obviously more expensive. Total travelling time is 4 hours.

Why take the train, unless you enjoy sleeping with annoying smelly backpacker types in a roach infested pit which jolts its way stopping and starting for the best part of a whole day?

You should be able to get it much cheaper than that from AirAsia if you book in advance. It'll probably work out cheaper to fly than take the train.

If there is a first class sleeper carriage (I believe train number 69 departing 20:00 to Nong Khai has them) then that is comfortable and perfectly acceptable as you have your own compartment and the toilet has a shower.

I personally would not consider 2nd class as I liken it to spending the night in a dormitory with strangers but if you are on a budget and enjoy train travel the 2nd class sleeper is perfectly acceptable.

As for those of you scared of roaches cheesy.gif , this is South East Asia. They live here too. Get over it.

There is a train from Nong Khai to Laos, twice daily. You buy the tickets in Nong Khai.

The night train from Bangkok to Nong Khai is great, if you book a first class sleeper. The train usually arrives 1.5 to 2 hours late into Nong Khai. And no the train to Laos will not wait.

However, it is easy to cross at the friendship bridge. No problems.

If there is a first class sleeper carriage (I believe train number 69 departing 20:00 to Nong Khai has them) then that is comfortable and perfectly acceptable as you have your own compartment and the toilet has a shower.

I personally would not consider 2nd class as I liken it to spending the night in a dormitory with strangers but if you are on a budget and enjoy train travel the 2nd class sleeper is perfectly acceptable.

As for those of you scared of roaches cheesy.gif , this is South East Asia. They live here too. Get over it.

Who said they were scared of roaches? I just don't fancy sharing a bed with the little b*stards, each to their own. The fact is, flying is just as cheap, a lot more comfortable and convenient. Unless you enjoy hearing boring travellers tales from p*ssed up tramps who are on a 'gap year' on mummies credit card,

• Like 2

Who said they were scared of roaches? I just don't fancy sharing a bed with the little b*stards, each to their own. The fact is, flying is just as cheap, a lot more comfortable and convenient. Unless you enjoy hearing boring travellers tales from p*ssed up tramps who are on a 'gap year' on mummies credit card,

Why would I need to hear boring travellers tales from tramps? How would these people get in my compartment to begin with? You sound bitter. Overly so.

Why would I need to hear boring travellers tales from tramps? How would these people get in my compartment to begin with? You sound bitter. Overly so.

Bitter? Just pointing out the other options open to the OP, which in my opinion are much better. So you lock yourself away in your first class (cheesy.gif ) compartment for a whole day to avoid the great unwashed which costs around the same price as flying? Like I said earlier, each to their own. thumbsup.gif

Bitter? Just pointing out the other options open to the OP, which in my opinion are much better. So you lock yourself away in your first class (cheesy.gif ) compartment for a whole day to avoid the great unwashed which costs around the same price as flying? Like I said earlier, each to their own. thumbsup.gif

Just pointing out the other options open to the OP

Umm, like this?

Unless you enjoy hearing boring travellers tales from p*ssed up tramps who are on a 'gap year' on mummies credit card,

avoid the great unwashed

Noooo, you don't sound the slightest bit bitter.

Anyway, as you have never done the trip by train you are not in a position to speak from any relevant experience.

• Like 1

Is that personal experience or are you just BS'ing

I travelled by train extensively and it is a great way to efficiently travel from one place to another.

He's just bullshitting. On some rant about backpackers, or something. Not sure as not really making much sense. Bitter spittle rarely does.

• Like 1

Its not cheaper to fly 1800 average price of airline ticket 200 baht airport shuttle so 2 people 4000 baht, 1st class compartment for 2 people 2500 baht 50 baht tuktuk to the border, saves 1500 baht plus if your on a budget 1 hotel night saved and now to get a cheap airline ticket 350 baht taxi from swampi to DM, never seen a cockroach

I travelled by train extensively and it is a great way to efficiently travel from one place to another.

He's just bullshitting. On some rant about backpackers, or something. Not sure as not really making much sense. Bitter spittle rarely does.

If you read it slowly it makes perfect sense. Why would I be bullshitting? More to the point why am I wasting my time replying to you? I have given the OP an option which perhaps he wasn't aware of before.

If you read it slowly it makes perfect sense. Why would I be bullshitting? More to the point why am I wasting my time replying to you? I have given the OP an option which perhaps he wasn't aware of before.

Because you have never taken the train.

I experienced it on 2 occasions, never again. Unless you have a passion for train travel, why would you not fly instead? Cost isn't an issue.

You are one of the great unwashed aren't you? You carry on taking the train my friend thumbsup.gif be careful of accepting warm beer from strange men won't you.

• Like 1

travel in a way that is becoming of a farang , remember our class image , to a third world thais is so important.

cham tours , vip coach to udon . then a minibus or taxi to friendship bridge , not exspensive .

unless you are a piss poor traveller , who the thais dont want in their kingdom.

be warned , you can self harm on the trains ,

scratching your self ,into a nasty rash .i should know.

you have been warned . coffee1.gif

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1

Its not cheaper to fly 1800 average price of airline ticket 200 baht airport shuttle so 2 people 4000 baht, 1st class compartment for 2 people 2500 baht 50 baht tuktuk to the border, saves 1500 baht plus if your on a budget 1 hotel night saved and now to get a cheap airline ticket 350 baht taxi from swampi to DM, never seen a cockroach

1290 THB Bkk - Udon http://booking.airasia.com/Select.aspx 200 THB shuttle = for 2 PAX 2980 THB. Arrive fresh, not sick from the disgusting food you are served, a whole day earlier to enjoy your well deserved break. thumbsup.gif

Edited by lovelaos
  • Like 1

couple different options for the OP, Me I fly to Udon minibus it to VTE, might try to fly back on Lao Central from VTE, $100

The last time I tried Lao Central's website it didn't work. I will be using this option in the future when AirAsia move to DM

I've used Lao Airlines on a few cccasions on this route with no problems.

You are one of the great unwashed aren't you? You carry on taking the train my friend thumbsup.gif be careful of accepting warm beer from strange men won't you.

What exactly are the great unwashed and why do you appear to be so obsessed with them? Sounds like yet more bullshit to me.

FYI the only time I have been given warm beer on any form of transportation it was a budget airline flight, not a train. How ironic.

Some people enjoy travel by train. If I`ve got time on my hands I`ll often travel by train because I enjoy it. The First Class accomodations have always been acceptable. You do get backpackers travelling, but not many of those irritating ones sporting ankle length Khao san faux dreadlocks laugh.png. If I had to make regular visa runs I`d probably choose to fly to save time, but I`m fortunate enough not to be in that position.

• Like 1

couple different options for the OP, Me I fly to Udon minibus it to VTE, might try to fly back on Lao Central from VTE, $100

The last time I tried Lao Central's website it didn't work. I will be using this option in the future when AirAsia move to DM

I've used Lao Airlines on a few cccasions on this route with no problems.

yes me too hoping I can buy a ticket to bangkok while iam in vientiane

Another option, I am going too fly thai airways Swampy to Udon 2200 baht, Nok air the same day 1800 plus extra baggage 350 baht taxi to Don Muang 80 baht in tolls so same price and I bet asia air is close to 1600 baht if you have excess baggage, no hassle of getting to DM, i wonder if Thai Smile will cover this route for a cheaper fare from Swampy