Copyright Law

ImageDude

Hi All, I recently visited Wat Rong Khun in Chiang Rai Province, whilst there I purchased several postcards depicting the artwork of Thai artist Chalermchai Khositpipat. I cannot see any copyright marks on the reverse of the postcards and I was wanting to know if it would be legal to scan and reproduce some of these postcards on my website, attributing them to the artist of course.

Thanks for any help that can be given.

Imagedude

Hi All, I recently visited Wat Rong Khun in Chiang Rai Province, whilst there I purchased several postcards depicting the artwork of Thai artist Chalermchai Khositpipat. I cannot see any copyright marks on the reverse of the postcards and I was wanting to know if it would be legal to scan and reproduce some of these postcards on my website, attributing them to the artist of course.

Imagedude

would maybe be better to try and contact the artist and ask his permission direct

Thanks for the advice so far, it is not my intention to assume anything or take any liberties. I would love to contact the artist, not least of all to congratulate him on his work, but contact has proved very difficult. I have even made enquiries at Wat Rong Khun and nobody there was able to help. So if any of you know a contact e-mail, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Imagedude

Just a thought, but did you try contacting the publisher of the postcards?

Yes this is very sound advice, I would not feel comfortable reproducing somebody else's work without their permission.

But I have had it done to me :D

When I ran my Media Company back home I would spend hours designing advertisements for clients and it really used to pi#s me off when a month later I would see MY WORK reproduced in another publication.

If a client ASKED if they could use it I would never refuse, but many did not. I had to accept it because they were clients and obviously appreciated that the work I had produced for them was better than anything my competitors could come up with.

They say "Immitation is the highest form of flattery" and I had no choice but to accept it, litigation was not worth the time, effort and money involved.

But it really used to get under my skin :o

Chalermchai Kositpipat

Born15 Feb. 1955 Chiang Rai

Position Freelance Artist

Office 36 Soi Areesamphan 3 Phahonyothin Rd. Payathai Bangkok 10400 Tel. 278-1302, 279-2044

There you go !

Naka.

With an avatar like yours, Naka, you'd be the one to "sniff" him out. :o

Copyright, is exactly that a 'Right' it is not claimed by adding a statement of copyright, it is inherent in the act of recording a thought, idea, drawing etc. The act of recording infers the right. The presence or absence of a copyright symbol or statement has no direct meaning in terms of the copyright. Although it may be used as evidence that the holder of copyright took reasonable steps to protect their copyright.

The use of other people's intellectual property is protected by copyright laws, which generally limit usage without permission to a very restricted number of types of use. Such as quoting limited extracts in articles or journals

Using someone else’s work on your website without explicit permission would almost certainly be infringement of copyright.

Imagedude

would maybe be better to try and contact the artist and ask his permission direct

Just like the producers of designer clothes, watches, dvd, software, etc etc etc :o