Trial Of Former Thai Leader Abhisit Postponed For Two Weeks

webfact

Complete and utter madness. blink.png

Who knows what the orders were, who killed who for public sympathy, who killed who in self protection and/or potecting the lives of innocent bystanders.

What were the PM and DPM supposed to do?

Stand around and watch while a bunch of terrorists and thugs shot war weapons indiscriminantly from behind their baricades, killed any perceived opponents in cold blood, terrorised and burnt Bkk to the ground?

Shame on the office of public prosecution for even entertaining these charges. bah.gif

You obviously come from country whose population bows to the orders of the elite. What ever country that is, look back in your own history and you will see that your current form of government almost certainly got its initial support, if not its entire support, from what the then government called thugs and terrorists. Aren't you very happy now that some of your ancestors were thugs and terrorists, think about how messed up your country was before then.

• Like 1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone has to answer for all those deaths and as he was the man in charge the blame should be laid on him. I really dont like him and have no doubt he was involved.

I watched a documentary where government troops fired into what was supposed to have been marked as a safe haven, killing many, including Thai nurses.

Its shocking what went on and somebody needs to be held accountable.

Well that's OK then - Thaksin and his vile red cohorts are responsible.

• Like 1

Someone has to answer for all those deaths and as he was the man in charge the blame should be laid on him. I really dont like him and have no doubt he was involved.

I watched a documentary where government troops fired into what was supposed to have been marked as a safe haven, killing many, including Thai nurses.

Interesting theory, "you dont like him" ipso facto he must have been invoved staggering logic.

<snip>

Just because i made two statements in one sentence doesnt have to mean that one is a basis of argument for the other.

But oh yes, thats exactly what it means because this is a forum and people unable to think before posting

Edited by soundman
Flaming. Settle down please.

This is madness.

If this had been the USA or England Aus etc then all of the barricaded and heavily armed rioters would have been taken out by sniper fire, SAS, SWAT etc and their entire blockade steam rolled by armoured tanks.

They would have got what they deserved and there would have been no witch hunt or court proceedings to determine whether the government forces had caused lives to be lost! They caused their own destruction by drawing first blood and taking on the government in an armed riot. Yes there would have been some innocent lives lost but the government had zero choice but to use armed force. Just a shame IMHO that it took them 6 weeks to get around to getting serious with it all.

The problem here is that the red rogues seized power (Abhisit's biggest mistake to allow PTP AKA Thaksin/reds proxy party to field a candidate) and now they are going about justifiying their own actions which extends to massive payouts for the riots which they started and also trying to change the constitution to get their thug criminal leader off the hook and ultimately back to power.

I hope that Mr Abhisit handles this gracefully and with determined confidence. I believe he is an honest and intelligent man,.. one who would make a better leader next time based on his real world experience in front line politics.

I pray for good people to prevail in the Thai government,.. but maybe in the meantime this current PTP governement will implode within itself or enage in some other inescapable own-foot shooting calamity that brings it undone!

You sir are appalling.

I'm just disturbed that a poster here would seriously consider a "tianamen" solution to protestors. Even if they have exceeded their legal, constitutional protest rights, to resort to that type of response is appalling.

Or perhaps you dislike the simile? Perhaps referring to it as a "Waco" solution is more appropriate?

Did you type before considering that the government is meant to represent the collective will of the people. If it has so lost the respect and ability to negotiate with a reasonable segment of the voters, then it has lost all legitimacy. And further - if it then has to resort to force and censorship to impose it's will - instead of all the people's will - it has become the criminal.

Abhisit himself spoke of that opinion against the Samak administration after the death of a PAD protestor. Then he became responsible for much worse.

If - as I suspect - you are American - I suggest you look up your own history and understand why we do not refer to George Washington as a terrorist.

Edited by airconsult
  • Like 1

Im surprised at how many Abhisit followers there are on here. Mind you i guess these same people are probably Cameron worshippers too so that says it all.

Not at all. Those of us who deeply understand the issues here make our choices. As for Cameron - he's not for me, thanks! I cannot support those, such as Thaksin, who's philosophies (such as they are) are closer to dictators of the past than to democratic leaders.

• Like 1

It will be good to get this part put to rest.

If anyone seriously thinks that Abhisit and Suthep ordered the army to go on a turkey shoot, they should admit themselves to an institution for the logically bewildered.

The orders came from CRES and almost certainly authorized the use of live ammunition in self defense.

I have no doubt that that those orders were cascaded to the ranks of the armed forces.

As for what exactly happened at each moment in time, we will probably never know. Some deaths may be solvable and some will not. There are too many people on all sides with vested interests for the untainted facts to come out.

Were the army trained for this? No. Should the police have dealt with it? For sure. Were mistakes made? Absolutely. Did they result in deaths? Almost certainly.

The complete thing is from the beginning on only a mistake.

It starts that Abhisit should have immediately re-installed the police boss Samak fired and cleaned up the police, which might have improved or escalated the situation. And than he should have brought the army in much faster, if necessary kick out the Army boss.

And of course clean the one ranks....kick out Kasit for example.

If he would done that he might have been a great leader.....

I wonder how many times US Presidents or even state governors are charged every time their police shoot some crooks.

Not a good example...No Thai premier is responsible for as many crimes and dead as the last two US Presidents. With working laws they would be in jail forever.

• Like 2

If anyone seriously thinks that Abhisit and Suthep ordered the army to go on a turkey shoot, they should admit themselves to an institution for the logically bewildered.

The orders came from CRES and almost certainly authorized the use of live ammunition in self defense.

I have no doubt that that those orders were cascaded to the ranks of the armed forces.

As for what exactly happened at each moment in time, we will probably never know. Some deaths may be solvable and some will not. There are too many people on all sides with vested interests for the untainted facts to come out.

Were the army trained for this? No. Should the police have dealt with it? For sure. Were mistakes made? Absolutely. Did they result in deaths? Almost certainly.

The complete thing is from the beginning on only a mistake.

It starts that Abhisit should have immediately re-installed the police boss Samak fired and cleaned up the police, which might have improved or escalated the situation. And than he should have brought the army in much faster, if necessary kick out the Army boss.

And of course clean the one ranks....kick out Kasit for example.

If he would done that he might have been a great leader.....

You lost me at "kick out the Army boss." cheesy.gif

Anupong was a moderate guy - but if ANY government had tried to sack him he would have ignored it - their (the army's) oath is to his majesty, not the government.

In fact, even the Army commander cannot sack any officer rank of Major-General or above - only the highest authority can do that.

Cheers

Edited by airconsult

I wonder how many times US Presidents or even state governors are charged every time their police shoot some crooks.

Not a good example...No Thai premier is responsible for as many crimes and dead as the last two US Presidents. With working laws they would be in jail forever.

And no Thai Prime Minister has legally given themselves the authority to assassinate or detain indefinitely Thai citizens - I wish the current US president could say that about US citizens.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/is-the-united-states-still-the-land-of-the-free/2012/01/04/gIQAvcD1wP_story.html

Edited by airconsult

And I suppose you want to hold Tony Blair and George W. Bush accountable for all the deaths in Iraq?

The Commanding Generals of the Armies are the ones who order soldiers into any combat actions, not the elected leaders of nations.

Yes, those leaders can and do ask the Generals to do something about what ever is happening, whether it be a war or public insurrection.

But it's definitely not a single persons actions. There is a chain of command and you would have to hold them all accountable. The days of saying, well, I was only following orders, is long over.

This is madness.

If this had been the USA or England Aus etc then all of the barricaded and heavily armed rioters would have been taken out by sniper fire, SAS, SWAT etc and their entire blockade steam rolled by armoured tanks.

They would have got what they deserved and there would have been no witch hunt or court proceedings to determine whether the government forces had caused lives to be lost! They caused their own destruction by drawing first blood and taking on the government in an armed riot. Yes there would have been some innocent lives lost but the government had zero choice but to use armed force. Just a shame IMHO that it took them 6 weeks to get around to getting serious with it all.

The problem here is that the red rogues seized power (Abhisit's biggest mistake to allow PTP AKA Thaksin/reds proxy party to field a candidate) and now they are going about justifiying their own actions which extends to massive payouts for the riots which they started and also trying to change the constitution to get their thug criminal leader off the hook and ultimately back to power.

I hope that Mr Abhisit handles this gracefully and with determined confidence. I believe he is an honest and intelligent man,.. one who would make a better leader next time based on his real world experience in front line politics.

I pray for good people to prevail in the Thai government,.. but maybe in the meantime this current PTP governement will implode within itself or enage in some other inescapable own-foot shooting calamity that brings it undone!

You sir are appalling.

I'm just disturbed that a poster here would seriously consider a "tianamen" solution to protestors. Even if they have exceeded their legal, constitutional protest rights, to resort to that type of response is appalling.

Or perhaps you dislike the simile? Perhaps referring to it as a "Waco" solution is more appropriate?

Did you type before considering that the government is meant to represent the collective will of the people. If it has so lost the respect and ability to negotiate with a reasonable segment of the voters, then it has lost all legitimacy. And further - if it then has to resort to force and censorship to impose it's will - instead of all the people's will - it has become the criminal.

Abhisit himself spoke of that opinion against the Samak administration after the death of a PAD protestor. Then he became responsible for much worse.

If - as I suspect - you are American - I suggest you look up your own history and understand why we do not refer to George Washington as a terrorist.

You Sir talk ilinformed garbage and I suggest if you followed events in during the red terrorist siege at the time you would have been aware that the UDD thugs were only interested in outright victory and the government resigning, When there were negotiations with the so called "leadership" of these Anti democratic Thailand Thugs they were not interested in any peaceful deal but what they saw as a "victory" Donkeys leading Buffalos Edited by KKvampire

What comes around, goes around.

If Abhiisit and Suthep will be found guilty I guess they can join Thaksin in exile.

Last time in 2008, Thaksin was found guilty under the court (aka Junta) and the PAD thought the sentence was fair. This time the junta is no longer around so wait and see.

OK, Abhisit is a clean guy but we do know he can't win elections and the guys that are around him aka Newin, Suthep and Co are no better then Thaksin.

So let's all sit back and enjoy the show.

"Thaksin was found guilty under the court (aka junta)"

You do recall the junta-appointed government handing back power to an elected-government, PPP-led coalition under the later-PM Samak in January 2008, and who was in-power when the court actually announced judgement & later sentencing upon former-PM Thaksin, don't you ?

I think when the court finally sentenced the late Samak was already replaced by k. Thaksin's brother-in-law PM Somchai?

Thank-you, which surely makes it even less true to try to say that Thaksin was found guilty under the junta, when his own brother-in-law was in-charge at-the-time. wink.png

Or perhaps some posters feel that the PPP-led coalition-governments were loyal to the military, rather than to Thaksin as they themselves claimed ?

Im surprised at how many Abhisit followers there are on here. Mind you i guess these same people are probably Cameron worshippers too so that says it all.

I'm not-at-all surprised how many posters liked former-PM Abhisit, why shouldn't they, if he had a fault it was to be too soft and supportive of their democratic-rights, as the Red-Shirts' peaceful-protests dragged-on during 2010.

Thaksin would have sent-in the thugs far sooner, IMO.ermm.gif

Edited by Ricardo
  • Like 1

I understand that former premier Abhisit seemed to have moved even closer to the Army at the time of the BKK street protests. Further that Abhisit took refuge in Military Barracks throughout the duration of street protests. During this time he reportedly acquired a personnel military guard of approximately 200 active soldiers. I think he must have lost touch with reality and fell into a fantasy military role himself supposedly with a view to crush the protesters. When attempts to resolve the issues by negotiation were taking place Abhisit appeared from reports in the public domain to be negotiating for a stalemate. That is why so many of us were horrified at the anticipated brutal crushing of the protesters. Abhist's intent was apparent to many of us. I do wish that the minutes of Abhisit's meetings with the Red shirts would be placed in the public domain together with the minutes of any of his meetings with senior army officers during the lifetime of the red shirt protests. Once protesters started to loose their lives the protest movement began to dissolve. It is noticed that many from the I-san were offered bus transport to the home town using their ID cards as tickets. It is understood that their names were recorded. In subsequent months many have spoken. of calls in the night by strangers, and some of the visited apppear to have been disappeared.

Funny how hearings are suddenly labeled Abhisti on trial.

This is a Bread and Circus for the Red Street mob,

and as a threat to force Abhisit and the Dems to capitulate to Thaksin's wishes.

Nothing more than theater written large by a very poor playwrite.

Well there is always an inrushing of newbies all taking Thaksin's side

when he or his shills are making a big push on one matter or another,

so clearly they are trying a Hail Mary Pass to nail Abhisit and Suthep

and move them out of the way, or at least distract them from some other game afoot.

so right on cue here are these new voices, all singing the same song.

Right on schedule, like a damned hampster on a high profit treadmill.

If it wasn't so transparent it might seem astute and professional, but it doesn't.

Just obvious and of little use..

Edited by animatic
  • Like 2

begin removed

It is noticed that many from the I-san were offered bus transport to the home town using their ID cards as tickets. It is understood that their names were recorded. In subsequent months many have spoken. of calls in the night by strangers, and some of the visited apppear to have been disappeared.

It was offered by the government to transport 'free of costs' any remaining (peaceful) protesters. A few hundred used this option to get back home. Some were annoyed to have to relinguish their recently acquired handful of Ray-bans, Nikes and so, but taxpayer paying once more, so let go back home.

The rest of the post is new to me, but I may have missed the disappearance of the odd red shirt. May I ask if these have been registered and are now on the list of 50+ still missing persons?

airconsult - You ignore Abhisit's repeated attempts to negotiate a peaceful end to the situation by offering new elections in three months which were rejected by red shirt leaders who had no intention of negotiating in good faith. You also ignore the FACT that the red shirts were in many cases not simply peaceful protesters. Violent acts were being committed by various red shirt factions for weeks before the decision was finally made to move in a break up the protests. It is tragic that people got killed in the process, but people got killed on both sides.

You may find my opinion appalling, sir, but I find yours equally so. I regard the red shirts as fascists, and you are an apologist for fascists.

• Like 2

And who is being held responsible for the riots and the burning of many buildings in bangkok.

Yes, good question... didn't the dems put there alleged suspects away or ... oh, wait this is old news and hasn't been heard of again. Scapegoats or.... (waiting for the usual rabid responses whistling.gif ) Will the truth EVER come out? Or will it be as secret as the JFK assassination?

This is madness.

You sir are appalling.

You Sir talk ilinformed garbage and I suggest if you followed events in during the red terrorist siege at the time you would have been aware that the UDD thugs were only interested in outright victory and the government resigning, When there were negotiations with the so called "leadership" of these Anti democratic Thailand Thugs they were not interested in any peaceful deal but what they saw as a "victory" Donkeys leading Buffalos

You missed my point - if negotiation was impossible then a reasonable government would rather have resigned and called immediate elections rather than more violence. Just as Abhisit proposed himself after the death of a PAD protestor in 2008.

Like many, I have lived in Bangkok before the coup, during the PAD protests, during the UDD protests, and am still here. I don't think "ill-informed" is really the appropriate term for you to use? But you are entitled to have your opinion of course.

And who is being held responsible for the riots and the burning of many buildings in bangkok.

Yes, good question... didn't the dems put there alleged suspects away or ... oh, wait this is old news and hasn't been heard of again. Scapegoats or.... (waiting for the usual rabid responses whistling.gif ) Will the truth EVER come out? Or will it be as secret as the JFK assassination?

Are you in some way suggesting that the burning of Bangkok wasn't started by some firebrands in close proximity to the place, but by a lone unknown on a grassy knoll with an extra long match.

airconsult - You ignore Abhisit's repeated attempts to negotiate a peaceful end to the situation by offering new elections in three months which were rejected by red shirt leaders who had no intention of negotiating in good faith. You also ignore the FACT that the red shirts were in many cases not simply peaceful protesters. Violent acts were being committed by various red shirt factions for weeks before the decision was finally made to move in a break up the protests. It is tragic that people got killed in the process, but people got killed on both sides.

You may find my opinion appalling, sir, but I find yours equally so. I regard the red shirts as fascists, and you are an apologist for fascists.

Interesting being called a fascist when you proposed an even more brutal crackdown? cheesy.gif Very Ironic.

If you read the daily news, talked to people on both sides etc at the time, you would have understood that no-one believed the offer was sincere - however I do concede that when it looked to be an acceptable compromise due to the escalating violence (from both sides - yes, there were military snipers taking shots even then), Seh Daeng presumed to speak for all and rejected it yet again - his shooting shortly after that pretty much convinced everyone that the government could not be trusted.

• Like 2

What kind of a mentality would blame the man responsible for stopping terrorism. And at the same time ignore the man who planed it started it and paid for it. Not only did Abhist stop it but he tried to stop it before it got really bad by saying yes to the terrorists demands only to have them change there minds they choose to carry on trying to hold Thailand hostage.

Does it not seem strange to you that the Democrats are not seeking amnesty but Thaksin is.

Could it possibly be that they are innocent and Thaksin is guilty.

Like you say supposed to be a safe area why was it not. Could it be the red shirts choose not to have it. They choose to use there babies as cover. No supposed to about that It was front page news paper material and you can find it on u tube.

Come on admit it you don't want to have the truth come out. You just want to hear what you want to hear. There is enough on u tube to bury the red shirts.

Interesting theory, "you dont like him" ipso facto he must have been invoved staggering logic.

<snip>

Just because i made two statements in one sentence doesnt have to mean that one is a basis of argument for the other.

But oh yes, thats exactly what it means because this is a forum and people unable to think before posting

I think you're missing the point. "I really dont like him" suggests that you're biased against him and "have no doubt he was involved" suggests that your conclusion came from that bias. If you would like to convince us that you're not biased, then it might've been a good idea not to mention your distaste for Abhisit. "But oh yes, thats exactly what it means because this is a forum and people unable to think before posting", since we can't read your mind we could only infer from your statements. So I would take your own advice and think before posting.

"Someone has to answer for all those deaths and as he was the man in charge the blame should be laid on him"

I partially agree with you but once again, you're overlooking the other possibilities. If you believe the reports that army equipment and uniform were stolen, then it's possible that there were imposters to frame the military. If you don't believe the reports and deny that such a scenario can possibly exist, then nothing can be done to show you the truth even if the former was true since you refuse to believe in it. By denying that military equipment were stolen, you would also deny that the red shirts and men in black were armed or perhaps they equipped themselves by some other means in which you would have to provide some more information.

You're ready to place all the blame on Abhisit but what about Thaksin? Shouldn't he be held accountable as well or do you deny that he's involved in the riots. I don't deny Abhisit's involvement since he was the PM of Thailand and in the country at the time (although he should've just went to make SomTam in Australia and deny any responsibility) so yes, he's involved. How much or how little, we don't know but let's not be quick to throw all the turd at him. If you heard from him directly or know exactly what orders were given, please share with us. As for the Red Shirt leaders inciting violence and burning of Bangkok, they cannot deny.

I'm remaining skeptical about media nowadays and it might do people some good to step back a bit. Too much red might make your eyes bloodshot.

• Like 1

Interesting being called a fascist when you proposed an even more brutal crackdown? cheesy.gif Very Ironic.

If you read the daily news, talked to people on both sides etc at the time, you would have understood that no-one believed the offer was sincere - however I do concede that when it looked to be an acceptable compromise due to the escalating violence (from both sides - yes, there were military snipers taking shots even then), Seh Daeng presumed to speak for all and rejected it yet again - his shooting shortly after that pretty much convinced everyone that the government could not be trusted.

If we were in the same room I would want to smell your breath or check your eyes

Seh Daeng being shot had nothing to do with the negotiations. If it was the Army who took him out that would make sense. It is always good to get the leaders in war. There is how ever rumors that it was done by red shirt supporters. They could see the man was completely unhinged and were afraid of where he would lead them.

The reality is the red shirts made a demand and the Government agreed to it. The red shirts then changed there mind. Now how can you possibly not see that they were in no way serious about a peaceful solution.

Your red shirt logic dosen't even make sense much less come close to the truth.

Well here is what i saw that Abhisit vs. Red shirt => marie antoinette vs. Poor and uneducated people. As red shirts were too poor and expected too mych from government..(i mean really? You expect an equal payment when you dont have a degree or experience as those who work really hard in bangkok?)

But abhisit on the other hand...umm dont really have a good publicity stunt for those who lived outside big cities in thailand..(really...if he did a good PR job, he wouldnt go down in flame like this... His plans were too complicated for those uneducated people to understand.) therefore...it is what we see now.

Seriously i dont know what his party thinks but id suggest them to study several cases of politic and public relation... I mean they should study Aarold the governator and Ronald Reagan's cases about having a good PR to win country people's hearts.

The question is, what if we're wrong? What if people falsely accuse Abhisit and put him in jail while the truth is that Thaksin was the actual mastermind behind the violence? If Thaksin was the actual culprit, how can you make someone who is in self exile in Dubai be held accountable?

The question is, what if we're wrong? What if people falsely accuse Abhisit and put him in jail while the truth is that Thaksin was the actual mastermind behind the violence? If Thaksin was the actual culprit, how can you make someone who is in self exile in Dubai be held accountable?

I am really having a hard time of what if. It is obvious Thaksin planed it and paid for it. Hence rather than trials he chooses to go for amnesty.

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 1