Mozzie Trap

jagi00

You might want to try yellow light bulbs. Insects in general are not attracted to yellow light; they can barely see it. They are better attracted to white light, and ultra-violet is the best to attract flying bugs at night. You can get these bulbs at Tesco, Global House, and similar stores. They're not cheap, but they do help a lot.

post-55993-0-96292400-1345551609_thumb.j

HomePro Hang Dong branch has (or had) the serious ones that run from a gas bottle and make major claims for reducing the local mosquito population within a few weeks. I seem to remember it was this brand that they stocked - you'll need deep pockets though....

My experience with the Black Hole non-ultra violet devices shows them to be pretty ineffective and very pricey for what they are. Can't fault their marketing.

Edited by Greenside

HomePro Hang Dong branch has (or had) the serious ones that run from a gas bottle and make major claims for reducing the local mosquito population within a few weeks. I seem to remember it was this brand that they stocked - you'll need deep pockets though....

My experience with the Black Hole non-ultra violet devices shows them to be pretty ineffective and very pricey for what they are. Can't fault their marketing.

Thanks Greenside, I have to agree with you re the Black Hole type. I think I'll try planting the mints and use the yellow bulbs for starters and see how it goes.

I posted this before and it is a strategy which works. Mozzies will tend to hide out in dark protected spaces. I had a large black plastic bucket which I kept on my patio in a dark corner. In the beginning; every morning I would go out and find it full of the buggers. A quick shot of household bug spray into the bucket and job done. After a week or so the population was noticably reduced and far fewer if any at all bites during the early evenings. If you look around outside during the day in shady areas you will find places that they shelter and can spray then enmass. I used to find an open bag of BBQ charcoal was also a good place to attract them.

If you have an outside socket, makro sell "insecticutors" with the ultra violet blue light inside, only stand 200mm high, and cost about 150bt.

I have one in the bedroom, its surprising how many it catches...nothing worse than a mossie buzzing in your ear.

I dont bother outside, the zapper tennis racket, is instant, effective and fun.

Here's a cheap one that you can make yourself.

http://goodguy.hubpa...Y-Mosquito-trap

That's an excellent cheap, solution.

Mosquitoes are very territorial so it's important to keep your house free of standing water, ie: potted plant saucers, bird-baths, buckets etc should all be emptied daily. This will stop any breeding around your property.

Here's an interesting description of a trap (but, requires "dry ice"): I, pesonally, can't see myself bicycling to buy dry-ice, and getting it home though :)

http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/2012/07/31/oxford-county-sets-14-mosquito-traps-each-week-as-part-of-its-efforts-to-monitor-the-west-nile-virus

The key mosquito-attracting component is, surprisingly, dry ice.

“Dry ice releases carbon dioxide, just like what we breathe out and attracts the mosquitoes to the trap,” Jakiela said.

A plastic drinking jug is filled with approximately three litres of dry ice. The vapours slowly release as the ice thaws during the 24-hour period attracting mosquitoes. Because mosquitoes mostly feed at dusk and throughout the night, a battery-operated lamp is also attached to the bottom of the jug and acts as an attraction to the bugs.

A mesh cylinder is attached to the light and hangs down to collect the mosquitoes and other insects.

~o:37;

Best guess is that the yeast had spoiled and was no longer active. I'd suggest trying a different yeast and sugar. I'm not sure why they use brown sugar - white should work also.

In the past I made wine (NOT in Thailand) and the fermenting process is basically the same. The mixture should start bubbling --producing carbon dioxide-- shortly after you mix the yeast into the sugar water.

Always wiiling to be corrected but I don't think the yellow lights will stop the Mozzies, other bugs yes but the Mozzie homes in on the CO2 from your breath. Would reckon that's why the blackhole traps work so well

I don't think the Black Hole devices produce CO² - they attract the insects and then use a fan to keep them an a holding cage until they dry out.

I posted this before and it is a strategy which works. Mozzies will tend to hide out in dark protected spaces. I had a large black plastic bucket which I kept on my patio in a dark corner. In the beginning; every morning I would go out and find it full of the buggers. A quick shot of household bug spray into the bucket and job done. After a week or so the population was noticably reduced and far fewer if any at all bites during the early evenings. If you look around outside during the day in shady areas you will find places that they shelter and can spray then enmass. I used to find an open bag of BBQ charcoal was also a good place to attract them.

This works really well as long as you remember to spray them daily otherwise it's about as useful as a Roach Motel after the bait runs out smile.png

Yes. Brilliant,simple and economical. But despite all of my efforts to get the yeast and sugar to ferment and produce CO2 - cno luck. If you have been more successful please share advice.

Thanks

Just bought the supplies to build one and see how it works out. Also an indoor UV mosquito killer, some tape and plastic board to seal off any openings. My wife is not a happy camper right now as we seem to have gotten inundated with them. Hear the pop pop pop as she swings the electric racket around. biggrin.png

The UV system with a high voltage screen seems to work well, and we had one near the BBQ for some years, out of the weather.

A small version stayed on in the kitchen, 24/7, and seemed to attract every mozzie, fly and moth in the house.

I think the mozzie racquets are great, and don't know why they're banned in Oz and other countries. Of course, they're no good if there's something dive-bombing your ear at night.

Best guess is that the yeast had spoiled and was no longer active. I'd suggest trying a different yeast and sugar. I'm not sure why they use brown sugar - white should work also.

In the past I made wine (NOT in Thailand) and the fermenting process is basically the same. The mixture should start bubbling --producing carbon dioxide-- shortly after you mix the yeast into the sugar water.

Yes SR... Like you I have made wine, also not in Thailand, and am familiar with fermenting process. I would welcome any comments as to the yeast that you used.

Thanks

"any comments as to the yeast that you used"

Initially I used the basic yeast packets that can be found in any supermarket in the U.S. - Later I found a shop that catered to home brewing and wine making and I bought their yeast. I couldn't detect any difference between the two but many people are very selective about their strain of yeast.

• 3 weeks later...

For those that tried this, how did it work out? Where did ya get ya yeast?

I did try it but since I closed off all the entry points that they were getting in from was hard to tell how effective it was. Had it set up for two weeks and when I decided to take it down, took the top off and saw maybe one or two mosquitoes in it. Did place it on the floor in a dark corner. It definitely was producing CO2 because when I took the top off I nearly got drunk on just the fumes coming out as it turned into a pretty strong alcohol. drunk.gif

I got the yeast in a small bottle at Big C. But as I said, putting up overlapping flaps on the front sliding door and taping the slots in the back door stopped at least 95% of them. Previously, I could hear my wife with the electric racket and lots of pop pop pop every day but now very rarely.

REPORT:

I carried out the instructions to the letter, got a nice frothing brew of yeast & sugar, and placed the trap in a dark spot, expecting to find hundreds of dead mozzies.

RESULT

After 10 days, there was a huge total of two, plus some other very small unidentified flying things. Meanwhile the rest of the bloodthirsty buzzing hoardes thrive, lie in wait for me to emerge and are lightning fast: zoom in, land, insert proboscis, inject maddeningly itchy saliva, suck nice red blood out, and fly off rejoicing with distended belly -- all in a few seconds.

Do I hear them saying: "Hey guys - that's the farang ass.....le who put the black bottle out with the yeast that had us all falling about laughing!"

Well, maybe some other folks had better luck....