Tot Telephone Line Now Installed

Mumbo Jumbo

Ive at last just had installed my new telephone line from TOT, and would like some advice on TOT , ADSL services, can any one offer some advice about the TOT Adsl , good, or bad comments and advice please as this would be my first time into the world of ADSL !!, I would use it mainley for e.mail and web surfing .

Thanks ........ Mumbo

I feel sorry for you having to use TOT. It could be my location, however, the service is horrid as far as I am concerned. I did have true when I was in Bangkok, and yes, there were a few disruptions here and there over a 1 1/2 year span. Now, I'm in the Rangsit area. The internet connections have been very slow the past few weeks, and in some cases there is nothing at all. I've had instances where these interuptions would last for a literal day or more! Calling the help desk is of no use. They do the typical routine phone stuff by having you uninstall/reinstall, turn off the pc, turn it on. This will last up to an hour before they contact a supervisor who will then tell them that the Don Muang area server is down until God knows when. I'm lucky to be writing this now. The connection finally came on again after 7-hours of being out. I wish you all the luck with TOT.

Is ADSL available at all where you live?

I have a TOT line and ADSL is available in houses I can see from this room, 100 meters from here over the next Moo Ban's wall, but not here.

2 years waiting for it now :o

It's also easy to resist IP Star. :D

Thanks Guy's for the comments , I live about 1-1/2 hours away from korat , ive not yet been to the local TOT office to ask whats avaiable, as I wanted to get the low down on TOT ADSL from other forum members, it's sounding not too good with TOT...? any other ADSL users out in the sticks who can comment on there ADSL package...? at the moment I am using the 2 hours " free" dail up connection from TOT ( 1222 ) , which has a speed's of between 37.333bps to 42.667bps.

Thanks...... Mumbo

Well I am in Pattaya City. and my phone line is intermittent, I am only on dial up but every now and again I lose connection and either the dialing tone is non existent or some diabolical noise is there instead.

I would be very careful about committing to any long term big money deal with anyone (for anything) , whatever the enticement like free modem. If its any good everyone will start using it and it will slow right up, plus what is the point of a cheap deal if you cannot even connect reliably? The bigger the money the more you lose.

Yes I have been down the TOT office with the TGF and yes they were going to fix it but I still get intermittent disconnection with subsequent redial that must be bumping up my bill by 300%....Rip off as usual.

Not to say this is peculiar to Thailand NTL in Britain are even more obviously at it!

Edited by spacebass

I live up by Ram Inthra km8 and use TOT Broadband.

I haven't had any major problems. Occasionally the service stops but if I disconnect and reconnect my ADSL router it always solves the problem.

To be honest I don't think theres any differance between any of the ADSL providers in Thailand. For everyone thats says one company is bad you'll find an equal number who have never experienced a problem!

Good Luck!

Thanks again Guy's for the comments I lik the one ....To be honest I don't think theres any differance between any of the ADSL providers in Thailand. For everyone thats says one company is bad you'll find an equal number who have never experienced a problem!

can some one who is using TOT ADSL give me some idea of the package price / details Etc, so I am armed with some sort of info before I pop into my local TOT office .

... Thanks ......... Mumbo

I'd have to ask my wife but I remember there was an ADSL service we could get hooked up to but TOT was asking for additional charges ON TOP of the TOT phone line monthly fee and the amount was ridiculous, you'd better check on this as well if you intend on using a service other than TOT.

Check the Upload speed too - if you want to download movies and the like, you will need a decent upload speed. Some packages from TOT restrict this kind of filesharing, or only give 256 kps Upstream. Loxinfo will let you do this at night.

Next problem is keeping you from spending all your time at the computer ....

Check the Upload speed too - if you want to download movies and the like, you will need a decent upload speed. Some packages from TOT restrict this kind of filesharing, or only give 256 kps Upstream. Loxinfo will let you do this at night.

Next problem is keeping you from spending all your time at the computer ....

I blame this on dialup, for now :o

Thanks to every one for the comments /advice, any one using another ADSL provider , can you comment on how you find it...? any advice most welcome , may be some one out there is happy with there ADSL...?

Thanks......... Mumbo

Hi Mumbo,

I have used Maxnet4home for about 6 months here in Pattaya and the package I have 512/256 is very good constant speeds in the 400kbps Download and 180/190 upload range all the time. 790 baht per month.

PLEASE NOTE !!

I and a couple of others seem to be the only ones here that get these speeds with this package so YMMV

Edited by hereforgood

Thanks again Guy's for the comments I lik the one ....To be honest I don't think theres any differance between any of the ADSL providers in Thailand. For everyone thats says one company is bad you'll find an equal number who have never experienced a problem!

can some one who is using TOT ADSL give me some idea of the package price / details Etc, so I am armed with some sort of info before I pop into my local TOT office .

... Thanks ......... Mumbo

Hiya Mumbo

I have ADSL installed and i find it very good ( touch wood ).

I am just outside Udon and you can also use it 24/7 for the all in price of 500 baht per month,

which is on top of your other TOT charges for telephone line/private calls ect.

You will have to ask if there is an installation charge as things change quickly in this area.

I got it installed within 2 days of signing up for it.

If the line is in someone elses name they will have to sign for it and provide I.D. ect.

No call charges for logging on either.

I used to pay more than 500 Baht month for 56k which doesn,t compare in any way to my service now.

One bit of advice i would offer is to make sure you do not take them up on there modem they supply/sell.

Tell them you have one already.

I had all sorts of problems with virus ect due to there modem not being able to protect the speed of

ADSL coming through the additional gates that are opened.

I sought advice from my regular comp. provider and he new of the problem which in basic terms is caused by the additional gateways that open at faster speed.

I,m not a comp. wizard so basics are all i can understand and pass on.

My modem is " Linksys" with a 4 port switch. 4300 Baht and for me well worth the money.

A bit more expensive than the TOT modem at 1,200 Baht, but got rid of all the hassle.

Also i got my comp. provider to install it and set the comp.up inclusive of the cost.

If i can provide any further basics please ask.

marshbags :o:D:D

• 2 weeks later...

We have TOT broadband at 500 baht per month. We like it. Remember when you set up, unplug all the phones in the house or it won't connect. You will have your landline phone near the computer, connected through the modem. If you plug a phone in at another jack, the TOT broadband disconnects.

I live in Jomtien and I use the "GoldCyber" ADSL service from TOT. This is notionally 1 MB and costs me 1,000 per month. I have no complaints with the service from TOT, in fact they have called me twice to pre-warn me about a short server outage. From talking to other people with JINet, CSLoxinfo, TT&T there seems to be little difference between the providers. No matter which ADSL provider that you sign up with, when it comes to bandwidth, they are all at the mercy of CAT.

Edited by Artisan

Thanks again to all who posted, to day ive been to our local TOT office and asked about ADSL, they said they did not have this service as yet but it should be comming soon ( the Thai soon may be ..? ) so I am stuck for now, can any one please comment on another ADSL provider, remembering I am out in the " bush" with a TOT land line, any comments about your current ADSL provider Etc would be most helpful.

..... Thanks .. Mumbo