A P C - U P S Battery Demise

klikster

The battery on my APC RS 800 died, apparently during our house move. In trying how to order a battery, one supplier told me that the Thai APC dealer will not sell batteries separately.

I can understand the reason, i.e., maybe the battery is not the real / only problem. I'm in Khon Kaen and not planning a trip anytime soon, although the wife's nephew makes the trip fairly often.

So I'm trying to sort through my options to find the best one.

1. Buy a smaller UPS locally while having the existing unit serviced
  2. Forget about my existing UPS and buy another APC or other reliable UPS. Good brands?
  3. Look for a clone battery
  4. Look to a local shop for a solution

I believe I paid about Bt 7k +/- for the unit. I have no idea how much a new battery will cost as the Schneider (sp) Electric website is pretty standoffish with telephone number.

So I'm looking for recommendations, especially from someone who has gone through the process with APC

You can use any generic brand of battery. I have a bunch of APC's in my office and have been replacing the batteries that way for years. I don't recall the exact price but think it's approx 6-800/pc. They are very easy to change too - will take less than 5 mins.

Sorry can't help with Khon Kaen but in BKK you can get them in any of the IT plazas. I'm sure you could order one online too.

You can use any generic brand of battery. I have a bunch of APC's in my office and have been replacing the batteries that way for years. I don't recall the exact price but think it's approx 6-800/pc. They are very easy to change too - will take less than 5 mins.

Sorry can't help with Khon Kaen but in BKK you can get them in any of the IT plazas. I'm sure you could order one online too.

Thanks, Dork. The battery appears to be 2 identical smaller batteries coupled mechanically. "Taped" together with plastic warning labels.

+1..

In working on lots of UPSs, only the batteries have ever gone bad, except for maybe one. One thing to do is test your UPS periodically so the batteries don't get over charged. Lack of cycling isn't good for the batteries.. Just pull the plug out of the wall for a few minutes (depending on load and battery capacity) run on battery for a bit then plug back into the wall.

DO NOT USE A MOTORCYCLE (WET) BATTERY!! Such batteries outgas hydrogen, which is extremely flammable, and contain corrosive chemicals (sulfuric acid), which can spill, or can fume and corrode electronics (and people).

UPS batteries are usually gel cells, sealed and leakproof. Amorn has many different sizes, and should be able to match what you have, as do many other outlets.

Electronics shop such as Amorn can fix you up.

I've seen UPS repairs w/ motorcycle batteries. Worked fine!

Thanks JSixpack. Does anyone know whether Amorn has a place in Khon Kaen?

A UPS uses a deep cycle battery, which is something completely different from a motorcycle battery.

these batteries are certainly 2*7.2 amp, you can buy replacement batteries (equivalent) at home pro each is 450 baht, you can also get 9 amp wich are priced at 600 baht i think.

Thanks, NHJ. I pulled mine apart yesterday and they are the same, 7.2 A, 12 V. The batteries were wired in series, which could mean one going bad can kill the UPS -- but not worth fiddling with an old battery for Bt 600..

When I bought the unit I had 2 machines, and probably will again when I get one for my wife. So opting for the 9 A should give me more 'up' time.

I do know where the Home Pro is here.

Electronics shop such as Amorn can fix you up.

I've seen UPS repairs w/ motorcycle batteries. Worked fine!

Thanks JSixpack. Does anyone know whether Amorn has a place in Khon Kaen?

A UPS uses a deep cycle battery, which is something completely different from a motorcycle battery.

Right. I wouldn't recommend it (poor Thai solution) but I have seen it done. I assume it was a dry battery. Wasn't my UPS, heh. Nor do I know how long it worked. Just sayin', the battery can be easily changed and usually is, one way or the other. I've changed mine a couple of times. Once IT City did it, another time Amorn. I didn't mind paying a trivial labor charge (included in the overall price) just 'cause I'm lazy.

Edited by JSixpack

• 1 year later...

and where do you buy your batteries ?

Thank you.