What Do I Need To Do To Get A Green Book On An Imported Bike?

rmicheald

Let me correct that for you :

Anyone who tries to benefit from someones self inflicted misfortune by breaking the law's.............

So how can he benefit from a broken law? Could it be to ride it illegally and break the law again?

He's a dick regardless, and im starting to think your riding him.

The real crime is manufacturers and importers in collaboration with the government in order to keep taxes high for NO good reason in an effort to keep the market to themselves.

fuc_k the law.

Sorry to say, but I disagree on your opinion on the law. I used to think it was a dumb law but the more I think about it, the more I think it is actually a good idea. It's truly a progressive that is targetting the wealthy(er). I know you are in Socal (where I'm at), and in the USA, the government will tax you on earnings wherever you are in the world. Like if I'm in Thailand earning money in Thailand, and not using a bit of the U.S. government's resources, they still would tax me.

In Thailand, there are relatively few taxes, and the taxes target wealthier Thais. Like property tax (which is around $5k in the USA) is only a few hundred baht a year for property. For the poor people of Thailand, they can still purchase small scooters and whatnot with very low taxes. Pickup trucks (2 door) have a very low excise tax. This so people who are poor can still buy them. It's the wealthier people that want to buy large cc bikes, or talk about importing cars. If you are not so wealthy in Thailand you can buy a cheap scooter, or a Honda Brios. If you want your literbike, or your BMW or your Benz, then you have to pay the 300% tax. It seems fair to me. Like you don't NEED a big cc bike; you want one. You don't need a fancy car; you want one. If you want it bad enough, then pay the taxes on it. The people who are buying stuff just for necessity aren't hit with the big taxes. Thailand benefits because of local jobs in production. The more I think about it, the more I think it is really a good idea.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually if you go for something special you pay only a maximum of 180% (on paper), which in the end results in paying about 200% more, but if you buy something the official distributor/manufacturer or a motorcycle dealer like RedBaron has imported you pay less.

For example the price for a Suzuki Hayabusa 1300 is in Europe 17,499 Euro (682,461 THB), and the Hayabusa price is in Thailand 840,000 THB (21,538 Euro) what is about 23% more expensive. In this case Redbaron Bangkok is almost able to shave off another 90,000 THB

Another example is the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom which costs in Europe 9,598 Euro (374,322 THB), the same Vulcan 900 Custom costs in Thailand 485,000 THB (12,435 Euro) so that makes the Thai VN900 Custom about 29% more expensive....

And it's exactly as Submaniac, if I compare the taxes I paid in the last 5-years to I would have paid back home I can buy myself a nice imported motorcycle and still laugh...

Sorry, but I cannot see, where the seller claims, the bike is road-legal in TH...

Nice bike anyway, (if you have enough rice fields in Isaan, surrounded by non-public roads) tongue.png

The number plate on it alludes to the fact it is road legal though.

But I guess this space is not big enough to post the pictures of all bikes in Thailand with a fake number plate.

Sorry, but I cannot see, where the seller claims, the bike is road-legal in TH...

Nice bike anyway, (if you have enough rice fields in Isaan, surrounded by non-public roads) tongue.png

The number plate on it alludes to the fact it is road legal though.

But I guess this space is not big enough to post the pictures of all bikes in Thailand with a fake number plate.

The classified ad clearly states "has no book but can get for 60K"

Let me correct that for you :

Anyone who tries to benefit from someones self inflicted misfortune by breaking the law's.............

So how can he benefit from a broken law? Could it be to ride it illegally and break the law again?

He's a dick regardless, and im starting to think your riding him.

The real crime is manufacturers and importers in collaboration with the government in order to keep taxes high for NO good reason in an effort to keep the market to themselves.

fuc_k the law.

Sorry to say, but I disagree on your opinion on the law. I used to think it was a dumb law but the more I think about it, the more I think it is actually a good idea. It's truly a progressive that is targetting the wealthy(er). I know you are in Socal (where I'm at), and in the USA, the government will tax you on earnings wherever you are in the world. Like if I'm in Thailand earning money in Thailand, and not using a bit of the U.S. government's resources, they still would tax me.

In Thailand, there are relatively few taxes, and the taxes target wealthier Thais. Like property tax (which is around $5k in the USA) is only a few hundred baht a year for property. For the poor people of Thailand, they can still purchase small scooters and whatnot with very low taxes. Pickup trucks (2 door) have a very low excise tax. This so people who are poor can still buy them. It's the wealthier people that want to buy large cc bikes, or talk about importing cars. If you are not so wealthy in Thailand you can buy a cheap scooter, or a Honda Brios. If you want your literbike, or your BMW or your Benz, then you have to pay the 300% tax. It seems fair to me. Like you don't NEED a big cc bike; you want one. You don't need a fancy car; you want one. If you want it bad enough, then pay the taxes on it. The people who are buying stuff just for necessity aren't hit with the big taxes. Thailand benefits because of local jobs in production. The more I think about it, the more I think it is really a good idea.

The taxes earned from the over taxation is hardly enough to make a dent in the national economy as it is. If they allowed fair taxation on imports the revenue from the taxes would be much higher, encourage a competitive market, lower cost, create more jobs for repair shops and lower theft rates.

Your only speaking as a person who can afford big bikes in thailand. Why make it unaffordable for the common thai person to own? Tax me more because i make more? im not a supporter of that belief system. Tax me the same instead, then i'll have more money to spend on the local economy and disperse wealth in a quicker manner than paying taxes and waiting for government red tape to get my tax money back into the local economy.

High import taxes are here as a tool to encourage foreign companies to invest by opening factories in Thailand, thereby creating jobs that wouldn't exist if the companies simply exported their goods to Thailand. Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Mazda, Honda motorcycles, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, Ducati, Isuzu, Ford, Mitsubishi, Chevrolet, the list goes on and on and these companies employ huge numbers of people and pay vast sums into the exchequer. Even with larger bikes that are built here and taxed accordingly you don't see many Thais riding them simply because they are still out of the reach of Somchai and Noy and always will be. The best result for expats would be for the goverment to persuade the motorcycle companies to switch production of big bikes to Thailand rather than have them set up production lines in China and India.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been watching that guy in Phuket (maybe it's Samui?) try to sell his bike for weeks. I hate the fact that he is pretending in his ads that the bike is somehow legal and that all the documents are there to get it registered. It needs to be emissions tested and that's perhaps 75 thousand baht with no guarantee it will pass. Times have changed. It's harder and harder to find a fixer with the connections to get a green book. It's not legal to ride that bike. It will be nothing but headaches.

I've been watching with some amusement, too.

It's Samui.

He first advertised it in June 2011 for 135,000 baht and it's been advertised non-stop ever since - 14 months.

I was interested - until I also found out that it actually has an 800cc motor that's had one cylinder blanked (presumably to make the Green Book cheaper).

He's now moved away from Samui, has dropped the price to 80,000 and it's still for sale.

R

I'm happy to see that the guy can't sell his bike despite his many disingenuous ads. Down to 60K now .......

http://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/mcy/3322342593.html

Edited by ricklev

I've been watching that guy in Phuket (maybe it's Samui?) try to sell his bike for weeks. I hate the fact that he is pretending in his ads that the bike is somehow legal and that all the documents are there to get it registered. It needs to be emissions tested and that's perhaps 75 thousand baht with no guarantee it will pass. Times have changed. It's harder and harder to find a fixer with the connections to get a green book. It's not legal to ride that bike. It will be nothing but headaches.

I've been watching with some amusement, too.

It's Samui.

He first advertised it in June 2011 for 135,000 baht and it's been advertised non-stop ever since - 14 months.

I was interested - until I also found out that it actually has an 800cc motor that's had one cylinder blanked (presumably to make the Green Book cheaper).

He's now moved away from Samui, has dropped the price to 80,000 and it's still for sale.

R

I'm happy to see that the guy can't sell his bike despite his many disingenuous ads. Down to 60K now .......

http://bangkok.craig...3322342593.html

looks to have a white plate on it

it was me who met the guys who lost their HD customised fat boy bikes. Have you ever priced up Harley Davidson bikes here in Thailand or is a Honda Wave more your price range and knowledge. They fetch big money here, especially if they are limited edition.

I just don't like them so never would but believe me plenty here would and do pay the price !

You even say that you don't like them but intimate that anyone with enough money should do so,why?

Maybe he also doesn't like overweight,slow,vibrating,oil-leaking agricultural two-wheeled American tractors with a pushrod v-twin engine design that hasn't changed at all in the last century or so!

Bought by fat,ugly old men who think for some reason it'll make them look cool or Hell's Angels!

it was me who met the guys who lost their HD customised fat boy bikes. Have you ever priced up Harley Davidson bikes here in Thailand or is a Honda Wave more your price range and knowledge. They fetch big money here, especially if they are limited edition.

I just don't like them so never would but believe me plenty here would and do pay the price !

You even say that you don't like them but intimate that anyone with enough money should do so,why?

Maybe he also doesn't like overweight,slow,vibrating,oil-leaking agricultural two-wheeled American tractors with a pushrod v-twin engine design that hasn't changed at all in the last century or so!

Bought by fat,ugly old men who think for some reason it'll make them look cool or Hell's Angels!

2012-royal-enfield-bullet-c5-classic-quick-look%205.jpg

35593_0_2_3_m70%20anniversary%20edition_Image%20credits%20-%20Ural.jpg

34978_0_2_3_bonneville_Image%20credits%20-%20Triumph.jpg

Yamaha+SR+400+2012+06.jpg

2012-Vespa-LX125.jpg

Just a small selection of bikes (the first couple being internally and the rest being externally similar to their predecessors) that people like to buy...

Get it all done before buying, Maybe you can split the cost between you and the seller. Just to prove that the bike can be 'legit', don't want to go through the process and find out that the papers weren't accurate.

Last I heard the BIB are getting crazy on licenses, high possibility of losing your bike to them.

A friend of mine got rid of his grey bike and now looking for plated bike due to this problem. Having spend about 2K every couple of months on fines alone, and with stricter reg. might lose his ride.

Bottom line- get a bike with properly checked out green books, and nothing else.

• 2 months later...

Doesn't seem the OP has replied back to his own post after 4 pages of replies. Maybe he bought the bike then drove into a sinkhole?

Maybe the OP was looking for an answer to his question with some clarity as I was when reading the topic. But unfortunetly has left me with less direction on the subject, but don't get me wrong because as always the bickering was nothing less than entertaining. SO does anyone know who can organise a good green book for me if buy a bike of TV classifieds?

Your wife runoff on a HD?

dbl post Edited by ajahnlau

BF or GF ride off on a HD?