Shudder On Take Off. Pcx150 Problem?

BSJ

Overall I am happy with my PCX150 but it has this annoying shudder sometimes, not all times, when I take off. Easy starts seem to be when it happens most and when I am turning (stopped) waiting for traffic it happens just a little worse on take off.

Other PCX150 owners ask me if I experience this problem, so it's not just my scooter.

Anyone here having it happen to them?

Anyone know of a fix?

Sounds like it could be the clutch or belt that's slipping due to the increased rolling resistance with the handle bars turned (when stopped). What also leads me to think this way is the fact it happens when pulling away gently, as the clutch is slowly engaing.

As the bike's fairly new i'm sure everything will bed in soon....It's a Honda :)

Like most things you know it is there so it happens. If I rode your scooter I may not even realize.

In most cases, at less than say 3500-4000 rpm, this turns out to be a glazed clutch bell and/or glazed clutch shoes. As has been said also effects other scooters like Vespa etc.. It is more prevalent when scooter is ridden a lot at a leisurely pace in heavy traffic with lots of slow starts. Or if you carry heavy loads and start on hills.

If it happens at slow speed rather than from take-off then it is a sticky secondary pulley.

Don't be so gentle?

Like most things you know it is there so it happens. If I rode your scooter I may not even realize.

In most cases, at less than say 3500-4000 rpm, this turns out to be a glazed clutch bell and/or glazed clutch shoes. As has been said also effects other scooters like Vespa etc.. It is more prevalent when scooter is ridden a lot at a leisurely pace in heavy traffic with lots of slow starts. Or if you carry heavy loads and start on hills.

If it happens at slow speed rather than from take-off then it is a sticky secondary pulley.

Don't be so gentle?

Thanks for the detailed reply. I've only done 1900km. So your solution is "Ride it like you stole it"?

Thanks for the detailed reply. I've only done 1900km. So your solution is "Ride it like you stole it"?

Maybe not like you stole it smile.png as that would involve high speed weaving in traffic but maybe an armfull of throttle at take off.

The "fuzzy" washer is used on Piaggio three wheeled scooters to lower the gearing and improve take off as they are heavier than their 2 wheeled counterparts. I have not seen any other reference to PCX variator having the same affliction. For those other than BSJ who may have more mileage fitting aftermarket so called "kevlar" belts can cause the higher gearing problem as they are thicker than stock and so do not let the belt go low enough in the driven pulley.

I had the same thing on my PCX 125cc, first time I noticed was at about 4000km, filled the tyres with air and it seemed fine, maybe a placebo as it came back after not very long. I was just told its common on the PCX??

Never looked into it further as I sold it but definately a common occurence.

Look at the following link. Makes a lot of sense to me

http://www.clubpcx.c...=shudder#p14112

Hmm, when it is a "failure by design", why does it start after a few 1000 KM's and not from new?

I had the same problem a while ago, and it was a "glazed" clutch.

A medium sandpaper solved this problem.

Others had the problem with worn out clutch springs. (Maybe this was the cause of my glazed clutch)

Edited by vel_tins

• 1 year later...

Mine started doing it around 1200km. I haven't thrashed it.

i have a 150 not even 2000 km. took it to dealer they tell me take 3-4 hrs. take apart clean. when i pick bike up tell me problem come back 3-4 wks. bike made in thaland. thai's will no admit there is a design fault. they refuse to fix problem only temp. solution. cannot find contact info. for honda worldwide. if anyone know of contact no. please post.

Clutch judder is often a result of loose or soft engine mounts, so that is worth considering, but I agree with others, CVT's don't like pussy-footing. We used them on the ATV's we built, they only ever got thrashed and no problems, except in the pits.

Is it worse in the wet/damp, or when hot, remember this is a rubber on metal clutch?

Having been following this concern on other forums. The latest info suggests the cause is dust accumulating in the clutch due to a lot of slow riding. The cure has been suggested as a spirited rural ride at 80- 90 kph+ to blow out all the dust.

From what I can gather the problem arises when driving a lot on traffic, again this also happens with other CVT scooter including Vespa (Vespa forum)

Reading some of the above post this would seems to be borne out by the guys that ride in a spirited way who do not experience the problem and by the fact that Honda clean out the system but say the problem will come back in 3 or 4 weeks.

Maybe here in Asia there is more slow speed traffic ridding or shorter jouneys? So have a spirited rural ride every 3 weeks and blow all the dust out.

Edited by VocalNeal

It's the clutch. Combination of being glazed from slow take-offs, and to the dust build up inside the clutch housing. The dust build up encourages glazing so the key is to prevent the dust from accumulating.

A good solution is to take off the drum and drill holes (about 1/8) through the drum. Do 4 holes on an angle across the drum, and probably about 20 sets of them. The overall effect looks like drilled brake rotors.

This allows dust to escape from the shoes/drum, prevents glazing, and offers some cooling.

You can buy one as an aftermarket part if you don't want to do it yourself (I did). However, the part will cost you about 1,000 baht, a drill bit will cost 50 baht.

Most scooters will experience shudder when riding very slowly in traffic, say at 1 or 2 klm/h. Makes it hard to control and you're inclined to put your feet down often or do a lot of stop start riding or worse, start paddling. Paddling any bike is a no no.

It's easier to use the rear brake to control your speed - over rev the bike slightly so the clutch has a little (the operative word being LITTLE) slip, and apply brake to slow down or release slightly to increase speed - the throttle stays in the same position. You'll keep your balance easier and find riding slowly much safer and stable. Sure, you'll get a little clutch wear, but minimal in the grand scheme of things. If you have the drum with the holes, this will keep cooler and reduce wear anyway.

If you master the technique properly you can virtually stand still and not put your feet down with no problems. Obviously works on manual clutch bikes as well