Flying Return Same Day

I booked a same day return flight to Malaysia next month because I want to switch passports as my current one is full and the other one (from another country) is empty and I need the 30 days as well.

The flight is supposed to arrive in Malaysia at 10AM and then return to Thailand around 1PM, is that leaving myself enough time? Do I have to clear immigration or can just go straight to departures since I am flying both ways with Air Asia? Will the airline give me problems since I won't have a visa or a flight leaving Thailand? Will the immigration officer in Thailand care that he won't see an exit stamp from Malaysia if I do have to clear immigration?

Appreciate any help or advice.

If you're talking about Penang, and I'm guessing Air Asia it will be very tight, maybe too tight to be honest.. The plane lands, empties, fills up and flies back.

If you can change you could try KL but that would mean 3 or 4 hours in the airport.

Ref your different passports it would take someone else to sort that one , I don't have any knowledge on that.

Edited by overherebc

Whether you need to go through immigration at the Malaysian airport depends on the check-in procedures of Air Asia, with which I am not familiar. Keep your boarding pass for the flight to Bangkok to show the Thai immigration officer if he should ask for it.

The IATA guidelines for airlines make it clear that an onward flight reservation out of Thailand is needed for travellers without a visa. It is up to each individual airline to what extent they enforce this requirement.

The last time I traveled via Air Asia to KL LCCT all passengers had to pass through immigration to get to the main terminal area. At check in with Air Asia they asked passengers without Thailand visa to show some form of on going transport out of Thailand within the next 30 days. This was six months ago.

We have flown to KL and back in one day several times and yes you do have to go through immigration both upon arrival and again when you depart a few minutes later. We did it once with less than an hour between flights due to our flight being delayed departing BKK. You do not need to check in again for your departure flight nowadays as long as you have checked in on line and have your return boarding pass; you just have to get your boarding card verified and there is a desk close to departures for that.

i actually one time did it on the same flight as in, flew samui singapore then back to samui on same flight, only allowable due to BKK airways problem. Not sure who you would board with out going through check in, although some airline issue boarding passes online. So time wise no problem. If they insist on a ticket out of Thailand how would you go about rebooking another flight and still catching another flight with in the time constraints.

Ive actually done this a number of times, there is no problem, you clear immigration, then straight to air asia desk for your return journey, immigration do not bat an eyelid, all very easy!

It is not Malaysian immigration but the flight check-in staff who would ask for an onward flight confirmation, if they chose to do so.

Yes we had a visa...

This is crucial information, since the topic is really about travel from Kuala Lumpur to Thailand on an Air Asia flight without a visa.

The OP would like to hear about the experience of other members who used the same airline on the same route without a visa, ie whether they were asked by the check-in staff to show a confirmed reservation for a flight out of Thailand.

Ended up purchasing a cheap ticket to the Philippines a month later which I may or may not use. I will report back here if I am asked by Air Asia for an ongoing flight confirmation if anyone is interested. Now I just have to hope the Air Asia flight isn't delayed and I can make the flight back to Thailand.

• 4 weeks later...