1080P Movie How To?

h90

I have a large 10 GB mkv coded movie on a very modern fast computer with good graphic card.

When I watch it on the 22 inch monitor from close (maybe 40 cm) the movements aren't 100 % smooth.

I use VLC. The CPU is somewhere at 3-4 %

Can it be the HD?

or are there slight stop-go problems and I just sit too close (be too critic)?

Is it the compression?

It is a lot more sharp than a DVD but not as smooth.

Any ideas?

What is your refresh rate for your monitor?

Sounds like a strange problem because as I understand it you are happy with the smoothness (fluidity, lack of jerkiness, whatever) that you have dvds played at. Depending on the dvd source, your either watching PAL at 25 fps or NTSC at 23,976 fps. If your monitor's refresh rate is 75 fps, it aligns rather nicely with PAL's frame rate in that each video frame is show 3 times. HOWEVER, depending on your 1080p/720p source, you can have problems in that you can have 23,976p; 24p; 25i; 29,97i; 50p; or 59,94p. Obviously those don't always go into your refresh evenly. So you are going to have to find out the frame rate of your video and how to get your monitor to match, double, or triple it for smoothest playback.

Sounds like a strange problem because as I understand it you are happy with the smoothness (fluidity, lack of jerkiness, whatever) that you have dvds played at. Depending on the dvd source, your either watching PAL at 25 fps or NTSC at 23,976 fps. If your monitor's refresh rate is 75 fps, it aligns rather nicely with PAL's frame rate in that each video frame is show 3 times. HOWEVER, depending on your 1080p/720p source, you can have problems in that you can have 23,976p; 24p; 25i; 29,97i; 50p; or 59,94p. Obviously those don't always go into your refresh evenly. So you are going to have to find out the frame rate of your video and how to get your monitor to match, double, or triple it for smoothest playback.

It is a TFT (I think they are called like that...a modern relative young flatscreen, if I recall right (not sitting on that computer) it is at 60 Hz). I'll look into it.

My impression is that if all the screen has moving it is worse than if just one person in front of static background is walking. But I might be wrong....it isn't bad so hard to judge. By the way I have 2 screens on the same video card. But even games as max payne 3 are smooth in max resolution so I doubt the graphic card is the issue.

maybe vlc is the wrong software?

It is a TFT (I think they are called like that...a modern relative young flatscreen, if I recall right (not sitting on that computer) it is at 60 Hz). I'll look into it.

My impression is that if all the screen has moving it is worse than if just one person in front of static background is walking. But I might be wrong....it isn't bad so hard to judge. By the way I have 2 screens on the same video card. But even games as max payne 3 are smooth in max resolution so I doubt the graphic card is the issue.

maybe vlc is the wrong software?

It could be your video renderer/decoder. I use Linux, but from memory the Haali codec pack was one of the best. It is found in the K-Lite codec pack. Or you may want to try and disable "Accelerated video output" under Tools/Preferences/Video. This will bypass any 'optimisations' by your video card drivers; it will drive up your CPU usage though.

very modern fast computer with good graphic card... what graphic card?

...core i7 with intel integrated hd card, plus a nvidia 5xx 6xx?

Maybe the integrated card running with vlc or vlc it's not using the graphic card at all, try it with another program, maybe the speed of the hardisk is not enough for run the movie smoothy, check hdd speed, check vlc buffers.

where you get this file? from your digital video camera?

with the video cameras all the time i get this pixelated movement, in the advanced configuration of the graphic card you can check a option for fix that, usually with a preview, now I am using youtube as a backup for mi videos, the option for shaky videos it's amazing for that and for the hand movement.

check this video was very shaky cos i was walking on the beach, but now looks like a am descending in a Zerg Planet xD

Edited by ITGabs

What I’ve done in the past when I get a new system and try to play oversized movies. I would get exactly the same errors your talking about. One way I solved this was to go onto download.com and download some of the Codec packages on there. They have many different versions, depending on what player you are using. Once installed, your player should move along more smoothly.

I've been having problems with MKV files playing on my Western Digital media player and did some research. Come to find out, there's all sorts of problems that can occur with downloaded files. You just never know if the file was done properly Seems there's quite a few tools out there to help fix them and resolve encoding errors, but I'm now just avoiding MKV if I can.

I found this:

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/how_to_play_mkv.cfm

And the Google search came back with all sorts of topics related to playback problems with MVK.

Forget VLC for HD playback. Use a dedicated HD player such as Splash pro. It plays back MKV files that VLC refuses to.

There's a free version and a purchased one. The free version does everything most people need though:

http://mirillis.com/.../splashpro.html

Thanks for that. Gave it a try and it handles hardware acceleration better than VLC. Didn't need any configuration either unlike media player classic/K-Lite.

check this if you have an nvidia card (ati probably are similar)

control panel -> Nvidia control panel -> Video -> Adjust Video image settings (maybe you need to setup/activate the advanced mode)

maybe the options changes between nvidia models/drivers but you can play with the control avalaibles.

In my old laptop my nvidia panel is full of advanced settings, here I see only two options without a preview

Edge enhancement

Noise Reduction

and a check box deinterlacing

Years ago I fixed similar problems of video artifact from files played from my miniDVD camera changing this global configurations

Turn off de-interlace. Its a software issue, not hardware.

I recommend you use VLC for TV and HD TV programs and Zoom Player for Movies as you adjust the picture size manualy and has or had better audio decoder.

Using anything else your wasting your time w00t.gif