Consumer Protection Police Keeping A Close Eye On Jet Ski Operators

aguy30

Consumer Protection Police Division Keeping a Close Eye on Jet Ski Operators. The following quote is mind boggling:

Pol. Maj. Gen. Niphon Jaroenphon, Chief of the Consumer Protection Police Division recently said:

“Regarding the Jet Ski problem in Pattaya, it occurs because insurance companies do not cover damages made to Jet Skis that are rented out. Also, the majority of Jet Ski operators cannot afford insurance. Because of this, when accidents occur, Jet Ski operators need to charge their customers a lot of money to cover the cost of repairs which then upsets the customer and gives a negative image to Pattaya. We cannot blame only the operators: sometimes accidents occur because of unskilled jet-ski users and drunken teenage customers. Currently, if accidents occur, operators negotiate a fee with the customer”,

Not saying scams don't happen but very often jet skis are indeed damaged and what is seen is fierce negotiations of what that damage should cost.

I think it is just the opposite. Damages can happen but the majority are trumped up allegations against newby tourists from previous hidden damage to the jet ski. There are far too many people making big money from this long running scam. The fierce negotiations appears to be extortion backed up by the jet ski mafia, the BIB and other locals that share in the windfall profits. Most of the reported damage involves scrapes or minor dents that the owners are trying to claim tens of thousands of baht - we all know how inexpensive labor and bodyshop costs are here.

Edited by gerry53

What exactly are the types of damage that these tourist are inflicting on the jet skis? Do they crash them into other jet skis? When I've rented them I've found the operators to be no problem. I just ride around and look at stuff is all. What's the issue other than complete fabrication by the operators?

I have seen accidents from completely overturning the jet ski and swamping the engine which creates major repair and/or replacements to giant cracks from sideswipes of two jet skis down to minor scratches. You pay for the downtime as well as any repair costs. Like many things, it is only the worst cases of fraud that get talked of and the majority of rentals pass with no incident and no hassles.

Not saying scams don't happen but very often jet skis are indeed damaged and what is seen is fierce negotiations of what that damage should cost.

I think it is just the opposite. Damages can happen but the majority are trumped up allegations against newby tourists from previous hidden damage to the jet ski. There are far too many people making big money from this long running scam. The fierce negotiations appears to be extortion backed up by the jet ski mafia, the BIB and other locals that share in the windfall profits. Most of the reported damage involves scrapes or minor dents that the owners are trying to claim tens of thousands of baht - we all know how inexpensive labor and bodyshop costs are here.

This man knows the deal. The bolded says it all. I have had 0 issues renting a jetski. Far from a new face to Thailand but other than one motor crapping out when I was far from shore. (they simply brought me one and towed the other in with out a word) I have never paid a cent extra.

From personal experience, it's pretty dam_ned hard to damage a jet ski. In fact, it's impossible to physically damage the hull unless you hit something with it. So that leaves the riders either hitting rocks in Pattaya Bay or hitting another jet ski.

Flipping them is bad too. My old one had major damages, sand in the impeller also fries it smart jet ski owners push it a ways out then stand on the back holding the handle bars and bounce their weight up and down to clear it after it is first put into the water.

If you're a member of the Pattaya TPV then I think you should be ashamed of this post - defending the indefensible IMO.

The US Ambassador and other high up Gov. people will not be happy to hear about this clowns declaration.

They have had enough of this crap and recently went directly to the PM.

I hope Chalerm comes down hard on this Chief of Consumer Protection Police imbecile.

Will the local media follow up on this article and ask some hard questions?