Philippines Recommendations?

I've been to Manila a couple times and come away with, let's just say, a fairly negative impression. To put it mildly.

Well, I have to go again (on business) and would like to visit somewhere that might change my impression of the country as a sh*thole.

Any recommendations? A beach would be nice...somewhere unspoiled, friendly, safe, and easy to reach would be perfect (ie, not Boracay).

Thanks!

have a look at Coco Loco, Palawan

Thanks, I will.

If Coco Loco doesn't meet your requirements (it's a small island) there are other beach areas in Palawan. it's about an hour or so flying time from Manila starting point for research:

//removed link//

http://www.lonelypla...ippines/palawan

Edited by Tywais
Removed link as a possible attack site

You didn't mention how much time you have? On the island of Negros, Dumaguete City (Negros Oriental) or Bacolod (Negros Occidental) might be worth considering. A little more remote is Malapascua island.

Thanks. I'm not really limited by time, but probably won't want to go on an overly arduous journey to get where I'm going.

I lived there many years on and off but moved to Thailand for the reasons listed here and consider it the right choice; regardless of how many other annoyances that exist in Thailand.

I was there for the Marcos-Aquino revolution before anyone starts with I don't know what I'm on about, No mate it is just a plain poo-hole! The poverty is totally astounding, the corruption has become endemic from the bottom of society to the top especially with minor crime and stealing anything that is possible to take The taxi drivers of Manila are in league with Satan and the Church of Rome continues to place its hideous little ideas throughout their modern culture.

How the UN can recognize it as an NIC (Newly Industrialized Country), putting it in the league with South Korea in historical context

when it was recently an NIC and rates the Philippines with a medium HDI (Human Development Index) seems to beg our belief! Even most Filipinos find it hard to believe they have seen any real development since the Marcos years as the population continues to soar and real unemployment continues to remain at a phenomenally high levels. Everyday in the Philippines for many people is a "crisis" and is a word regularly employed by the average Filipino. In Southern Mindanao where I once lived was rife with terrorists and especially local rebels all armed to the teeth with assault rifles, 12 gauges, auto pistols and especially knives which can be even more dangerous in crowds.

As some posters have pointed out correctly, there are still pockets of fantastic places to visit but you will need a while to get to them, especially if you travel to Palawan. Palawan is one of the truly last frontiers that a tourist can still go to without feeling like they have to go on expedition with Indiana Jones but still has that air of adventure and fun. Other areas previously mentioned can also make for a memorable trip but when traveling in the Philippines unfortunately personal security, including avoiding continual unexpected scams, must be of the utmost importance as this regularly detracts from the beauty of the Philippines and friendliness of many who are genuinely friendly.

Can also recommend Palawan. My experience there is limited to the area around Puerto Princesa, but I was impressed (it's a whole different ballgame from Manila). Palawan is a big island (some of it fairly remote actually, with no electrification). If you're into diving at all, you'll love it. 'About an hour by plane I think from NAIA or Clark.

Boring dangerous sh*thole. Expensive, awful food and insanely populated. The people are perhaps the dumbest and laziest I have met on the planet— but in fairness its also possible that they are dealt such a shit hand, theyve given up by 18.

My impression as well, from a couple visits to Manila. I'm hoping that a visit to the provinces will change that impression. I'm willing to give it a chance, at least.

I would then honestly stay to Palawan, in the North. Bacolad (sp) and Dumaguete are sort of liveable. Davao had some big write up and now the Philippine Internet can't shut up about it. I have serious doubts. Visayas will be totally overpopulated but I would much rather be in this area peoplewise. But I think North Palawan as others have stated. It will be somewhat boring perhaps, try to get to those small islands North off the tip!!

IMO total waste of time. Good luck living on 3rd world junk food.

At least the spirits are cheap.

Some places are nicer than others, yes. But the cultural overlay applies everywhere I've been, including Zamboanga, Davao, Butuan, Cebu, Manila. It's a "I'm poor, you're rich; gimme!" place, with the added 'crab mentality'.

Someone mentioned Malapasqua Island - unless you are there to dive, it's not EVEN worth the major hassle to get there. The only positive thing I can say is that the taxi driver, who took us from Manila to the boat pier, DID actually show up for the return trip, some three days later. Usual crap food, flies galore, and beggars, persistent vendors, VERY expensive rooms in crap resorts, lousy beach.

The boat scam deserves special mention: you buy a ticket, 20 pesos/pax, then wait in the sun: 'boat ready soon'. All the while, the boat owner and several shills try to convince you to pay 1000 pesos to 'go now'. They were relentless, and wouldn't leave my poor wife alone, to the point that I actually had to get in their faces. Finally, some fairly affluent Filipino (had laptop and GF with D&G sunglasses) broke down and paid 800 pesos to get things moving. Classic long ride to nowhere, no way back, bad bargaining position scam.

Petty corruption is EVERYWHERE. 50 pesos 'special fee' to file our marriage documents, slipped into the drawer while we sat at the desk. 100 pesos for government-mandated marriage class, but 'you have to wait maybe two weeks until the class fills up', OR 300 pesos not to take the class, and get the certificate 'while-you-wait'...

Guns at EVERY mall entrance, hotel and bank. Security pat-downs before entering malls.

Macho men everywhere.

Don't think I'll be going back again soon...

• Like 1

I just got back from a trip to Manila and had a considerably positive experience. I told taxi drivers to take me with the meter and they just did it without a fight. Most people were fluent in English, when I'd go places people were always extremely friendly and remembered my name if I returned. There is definitely some serious poverty in places, and the chance of getting robbed or injured is much higher in Manila than Bangkok. I had a lot of delicious food for not much more than I'd pay in Thailand. However, I usually ate at Chinese restaurants as I didn't think Filipino food was the most agreeable (Thailand easily wins in a food contest). The Philippines has lots of great musicians, and I think it's about 10 times easier to befriend and relate to Filipinos than Thais! Just be weary of scammers! Based on my experience with friends and families I know, the Filipinos are way more caring, friendly, considerate, and generous than Thais. However, if a Filipino stranger is going out of their way to approach you on the street and be overly friendly to you or pretends to know you, they almost always just want to take advantage of you or cheat you somehow!

I've never been, but I've always been told that Palawan is one of the most beautiful places in the entire world. A good friend of mine has traveled to almost every country in the world, and he claims that the two most incredible places he's ever been are Alaska and Palawan Island.

Seems like the winning sentiment is don't go, but if you must - it's Palawan.

I honestly wish I saw the palce in the 70s, I am sure with half the population, half he corruption and twice the party it would have been a great place. I can see why servicemen liked the place and why they found some great women to marry. Sadly, that is not the case any longer.

Honestly though if this is a recon trip for a change of domicile, you are better off elsewhere. Palawan has a few bars in PP but you will be bored and maried in a year.

• Like 1

I have been there in the 70th as a merchant mariner and it was the same mess it is now, the only different was that it was less populated, but nothing else has changed and nothing else will change in the future. The corruption was the same, the violance was the same and the poverty was the same. What do you expect from a country that got for years screwed by the Spanish, than by the Americans, than by the Japanese, than by the Americans again and now finally by their own people. I live in Thailand with a Philippina and that is the best out of both worlds. I have been to the Philippines a couple of times lately but I do not think that I will go back. Stay away from that country as far as possible, the same as many Pinoys do already.

It's a big country with 7,100 islands and there is the good, bad and ugly like any place. Spent a total of 8 yrs there, the first few years exploring the whole chain, north to south and really enjoyed the more remote places. Most crime and poverty is in the cities and the tourist traps like most places.

Ocean travel is a great way to see the country leisurely and safe if you pick your time and go with the larger ships. Little island getaways with few tourists Camiguin, Siquior, islands off Cebu [avoid Cebu city] and Bohol island. Most not as developed touristically as LOS, but that's the beauty of the place, to me.

There are also the mountain provences of Luzon where I lived for several years. Baguio is a nice place to live, but getting quite crowded and deeper into the mountains is the world famous Banaue Rice terraces and other remote cultures. Rough traveling, but beautiful and unspoiled.

Yea, there is lots of poverty in your face in the phil, but the people are friendly and you can communicate with the average person.