Looking To Buy Cheap Air Tickets For August 2013 - Two Questions

Mobi

I need to buy four tickets for next year

BKK/LON/BKK (2 pax) departing mid July, return 3 weeks later (early / mid August)

LON/BKK/LON (2 pax) departing LON same day/flight as above pax, return 2 weeks later.

All dates/times are flexible.

I have two questions:

1. I used to use a cheap travel agent in BKK and there is another good one here in Pattaya, but I have also used the internet. These days, is it better to use the internet to book or do some travel agents still offer comparable deals?

2. It seems that most internet sites won't take bookings beyond mid-late July 2013. When will I be able to book for my desired period?

Sorry, I haven't booked long distance tickets for few years and I am really out of date on all this stuff.

Thanks

well too early to start booking.

Best bet to start looking around December.

Also if you want cheap then try Aeroflot, I am using them this time around Christmas, flights cost 32000, but would have been cheaper had I just gone ahead and booked. My flights next year in April with them BKK-AMS return FCO-BKK cost around 25000baht.

Your best bet is to spend some time shopping around. Things change rapidly now. Sometimes an agent can get a great deal, other times the airline is offering specials only available on their website. You just never know.

That link above also has some great articles you can read about getting deals on airfares. I think it's way to early to buy anything, but worthwhile to start looking at prices. As mentioned above, after the new year they'll start offering deals....usually! Your dates are absolutely right in the middle of high season. Seats will be at a premium. We try to fly either in April/May or in late September/October/November. Quite a bit cheaper.

• Like 1

Airfares & schedules are only loaded depending on the airline 335-353 days before that actual flight dates. So you will have to wait a bit to see it live. Using an agent that far out wont give you anything special at all, they will only sell you "IATA fares" that you can easily book yourself. "Consolidated fares" the lower priced tickets are only contracted 3-6 months out and the airline direct offerings use the same low bucket of inventory V Q class.

Since you know basically know your dates, I'd sign up to e-mail offers from the airlines you like and watch them like a hawk to see if something tickles your fancy, mid Jan-mid Feb you should start to see some deals either airline direct or from an agency.

Airfares & schedules are only loaded depending on the airline 335-353 days before that actual flight dates. So you will have to wait a bit to see it live. Using an agent that far out wont give you anything special at all, they will only sell you "IATA fares" that you can easily book yourself. "Consolidated fares" the lower priced tickets are only contracted 3-6 months out and the airline direct offerings use the same low bucket of inventory V Q class.

Since you know basically know your dates, I'd sign up to e-mail offers from the airlines you like and watch them like a hawk to see if something tickles your fancy, mid Jan-mid Feb you should start to see some deals either airline direct or from an agency.

I'm wanting to travel in April 2013 one way to the US. I checked Kayak and the ticket was $1,150.00 usd. Curious, I checked a leave date in December 2012. The ticket price was $880.00 usd. How can this be? I thought the earlier I book, it will be cheaper. Thanks

I'm wanting to travel in April 2013 one way to the US. I checked Kayak and the ticket was $1,150.00 usd. Curious, I checked a leave date in December 2012. The ticket price was $880.00 usd. How can this be? I thought the earlier I book, it will be cheaper. Thanks

Sadly: No. Airlines have a system to get the most out of every flight. If you follow the flight prices and the available spots on the plane you can prices for a ticket going or down every day depending on the situation. You can use Kayak and other websites to set a price alert. And check the airlines websites regularly for sales.

If you a frequent flyer a professional website as http://www.expertflyer.com/frequent-flyer-programs might be also helpful, esp the function of the pro version "Fare Information"

I understand your concern, we're told book early in order to save and get the lower fare, this was told to us by agents who wanted the sale in order for them to earn their commission. The reality nowadays is airlines are masters at yield management and the only way to obtain the BEST deal is by signing up for airline direct deals, using sites like Kayak, ITA, Vayama almost daily.

Since I'm an airline guy I'll bore you a little. Airlines treat the entire aircraft as a bucket of inventory with a cost associated for the entire plane.

There are sub buckets in economy, agents will call them V class, Q class, H class and of course Full Y class all these buckets are in economy, each one will have a price attached to the number of seats available. Sell a full Y fare for $2000 and the lower buckets will DROP in price, add a 2 for 1 offer in business class and the fares will rise in economy.

When you found a lower fare it may appear to be gone now, continue to check the rates and depending on what is sold and the yield the airline may in fact dump seats closer to departure. As an example check next week or the week after and you will see that the fares can actually be quite low. I;m not suggesting you wait until the last minute to book but you really have to check daily.

A few tips, Kayak is actually cached data-meaning they present fares that "could" have been searched in the last day or days, this is when you have issues when you book saying space no longer available. Secondly clean your cookies when dealing with airlines directly. Best bet is to check with airlines directly and often.

Finally in this part of the world we are fortunate, we can beat travel agents. An agent in NYC who has bookings on hold will auto cancel at midnight NYC time, San Fran midnight SFO time, so check to see what seats are dumped back into inventory at noon and 3pm.

I use Saveflights.com and have found them to be very competitive with airtravel going out of Thailand. Check their website then book online if you find a fare that meets your needs, or call Jane on 081-441-5527 to discuss your travel plans.

Thanks for all the helpful and informative responses.

I am learning a lot.

In the old days, I used to use an agent who could book up to year in advance at the lowest prices - the earlier I booked, the cheaper the air fare - but I guess it aint that simple any more.

The tickets have to be in the high season as my daughter is a school teacher, and it's the only time she can come.

Any more tips and advice are more than welcome.

I often use the this site for long haul cheap tickets. Couldn't tell you the last time I used an agent.

www,skyscanner.net

The problem with this site is, it's in Thai with no option to change it to English. FYI

You have to go to the bottom and click on one of the international options....

Hi Mobi,

Best prices for travel between Bangkok and Europe are to be had about 3 - 2 months before departure.

A good place to keep track of price fluctuations is here : http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ and of course here on TV.

Also keep in mind that because of very high UK taxes it might be worthwhile to check flights from Amsterdam and or Brussels.

Even BA is a lot cheaper for AMS/LON/BKK than BKK direct from London.

Anyway good luck finding a good fare.

Yermaneewai.gif

Edited by yermanee

I often use the this site for long haul cheap tickets. Couldn't tell you the last time I used an agent.

www,skyscanner.net

The problem with this site is, it's in Thai with no option to change it to English. FYI

You have to go to the bottom and click on one of the international options....

Thanks for that Craig , I never looked down that for before, and had been pissed at the problem, when I too encountered it ! wai.gif