Driving A Car Without A License?

PomRakBKK

Lets say my thai gf buys a car and i drive it without my license - what are the consequences?

I lost my license back home many years ago.

Will it just be a few hundred baht fine?

What happens in case of accident? Will they check for license?

.. or how the heck do i get a new license in thailand? I am on ED visa - any chance to obtain a thai driving license with that?

Edited by PomRakBKK

I think you will have to do the whole test if you can't show them your home country license. Can you do this in English ?

I did to the test in English. It was not that hard. At that point had lost my Dutch driving license and just wanted a Thai one real fast. It was easy.

I lost my license back in europe due to speeding, so i guess i can drive. English is not a problem.

Robblock, can you go into more detail? Would love to know how long it took to get the license and what are the costs? Did you just punch the theoretical test into a computer? Any real driving test at all?

Also do you drive with your thai license back home too? ;)

Edited by PomRakBKK

I lost my license back in europe due to speeding, so i guess i can drive. English is not a problem.

Robblock, can you go into more detail? Would love to know how long it took to get the license and what are the costs? Did you just punch the theoretical test into a computer? Any real driving test at all?

Also do you drive with your thai license back home too? wink.png

What I've seen of the test it's a stretch of the word real to call it a real driving test, but yes you drive round in a circle in the test centres car park and forward park and reverse park straight into a large parking space and parallel park forwards into a large space.

Costs were a couple of 100bt. Not much at all and yes you have to do a test on a computer and then a "real" test. Not that hard, but you need some documents for it. Just read the sticky in the motoring section

Self self self, why not think more about the person you kill whilst driving with no license and insurance.................Im sure they wont be too happy and if it was my wife you killed welll ^^^^^^*&W*Y(*&E^*&*)W(*Y( your F*****G hea d off

Seems to me you lost your license due to your inability to drive.

Seems like the test is different in different provinces.

Contrary to what some geniuses have told you, a lot of people do fail the driving test. Nevertheless, I would strongly advise that you take one just so that you're legal.

The following is what you will need:

- doctor's certificate - impossible to fail unless you are no longer breathing

- document confirming your residential address in Thailand

- letter from the immigration confirming the above (you will also need two photos for this document)

Go to your local Land Transport Dept. Show them above documents. Take a tag number. Wait to be called.

First test - colour test. Big board consisting of many different sized coloured balls (3 different colours - no prizes for guessing the right colours). You have to read out the colours as they are pointed out to you.

Second test - depth perception test (google this for details)

Third test - reaction test. Step on the accelerator. Step on the brake when red light comes on.

If you fail any of the above, consider taking taxis forever and a day.

If you pass;

- sit through 2 one hour instructional videos. The first is a real tear jerker - bring along tissues. The second will send you to sleep but try to resist as it will give you at least 2-3 correct answers in the theory test.

Go for the driving test.

First test - Reverse parallel park (not forward parallel park - I don't know in which country one would forward parallel park).

Second test - stop in the box

Third test - drive forward into a box. Reverse out of the box (measures about 20 metres.

Other tests - stop where indicated by stop signs. Don't forget indicators. Oh, don't forget to switch on your lights either, and wear the seat belt and check your side mirrors.

If you fail any of the above, consider taking taxis for the rest of your life.

Go for the theory test. Good luck - you will need it. Beware of the trick questions (one has to do with a tank, one with a MINIMUM (not maximum) speed, one to do with parking, a couple to do with U-turns. You will need to get 25-26 out of 30 to pass In case you fail, note carefully that questions you got wrong - write them down. Resit the test (you have a second chance).

If you fail this test, you will have to take taxis.

• Like 1

Seems like the test is different in different provinces.

Contrary to what some geniuses have told you, a lot of people do fail the driving test. Nevertheless, I would strongly advise that you take one just so that you're legal.

The following is what you will need:

- doctor's certificate - impossible to fail unless you are no longer breathing

- document confirming your residential address in Thailand

- letter from the immigration confirming the above (you will also need two photos for this document)

Go to your local Land Transport Dept. Show them above documents. Take a tag number. Wait to be called.

First test - colour test. Big board consisting of many different sized coloured balls (3 different colours - no prizes for guessing the right colours). You have to read out the colours as they are pointed out to you.

Second test - depth perception test (google this for details)

Third test - reaction test. Step on the accelerator. Step on the brake when red light comes on.

If you fail any of the above, consider taking taxis forever and a day.

If you pass;

- sit through 2 one hour instructional videos. The first is a real tear jerker - bring along tissues. The second will send you to sleep but try to resist as it will give you at least 2-3 correct answers in the theory test.

Go for the driving test.

First test - Reverse parallel park (not forward parallel park - I don't know in which country one would forward parallel park).

Second test - stop in the box

Third test - drive forward into a box. Reverse out of the box (measures about 20 metres.

Other tests - stop where indicated by stop signs. Don't forget indicators. Oh, don't forget to switch on your lights either, and wear the seat belt and check your side mirrors.

If you fail any of the above, consider taking taxis for the rest of your life.

Go for the theory test. Good luck - you will need it. Beware of the trick questions (one has to do with a tank, one with a MINIMUM (not maximum) speed, one to do with parking, a couple to do with U-turns. You will need to get 25-26 out of 30 to pass In case you fail, note carefully that questions you got wrong - write them down. Resit the test (you have a second chance).

I love your line about the geniuses. Your post is very accurate.

Nobody fails the Thai driving test.

Even if you have never been in a car before.

My mate did. He failed on the practical part where you drive forward and have to stop the car by the curb within 15 cm or what ever it is. Twice. Of course I liberally took the piss out of him for a while over that.

My mate did. He failed on the practical part where you drive forward and have to stop the car by the curb within 15 cm or what ever it is. Twice. Of course I liberally took the piss out of him for a while over that.

I did this process a few months ago. Many people failed. Both the written test as well as the eye/coordination tests. My wife failed the coordination tests 2 times as she was nervous and rushed into them without an explanation. You're jammed through the coordination/eye tests in huge groups. No fun.

I didn't have to do the car driving test as I had a license already. But had to do the scooter test to get that license. It was a breeze. I passed the written test without studying.

I think this is better off over in the motoring forum.

Topic Moved.

I think I've seen one person reverse parallel park in this country........................It was me.

Take taxis or just drive without a license like the locals do ?

I think I've seen one person reverse parallel park in this country........................It was me.

Take taxis or just drive without a license like the locals do ?

I would only forward parallel park if there are two car spaces available. Otherwise, it's always reverse parallel park - that's the way I was taught many, many years ago :)

Yep my wife failed!!, reversed into some flag sticks. After forking out 5K THB for a weeks driving course, for some weird reason she could not use the truck she had lessons in, an old 5 speed manual gearbox Mitsu and had to drive on the test circuit in an auto truck. Apparently she has up to 90 days to retake the test.

She was a tad upset, in tears when I went to pick her up, I cheered her up by pointing out she had made history by passing the motorcycle test and the first person in her family to have a licence.

ph34r.png

In general, it is preferable to use a smaller car than a truck or a SUV to take the practical exam... For reversing in a parking spot (the parallel park exercise), the smaller your car, the better. It is very difficult to adapt to automatic cars from manual: you need some time to appreciate the steering and understand the impact of your moves.

The driving tests seems to be getting stricter. When my wife did hers about 5 years ago the procedure was similar to that described by Gweloman but the testers were very lenient with errors on the practical test. The whole thing took most of a day to get through but few failed. At that time there were plenty of others paying 400 - 500 baht to bypass the whole test. I gather from friends doing tests more recently that it is much harder to buy your way out now and errors are not tolerated as much. Even so, this should be a problem if the OP can drive.

Driving in Thailand with out a license is common but VERY unwise. If there is a serious accident with injuries or deaths, the police will do their investigation and there will be a negotiation about who pays what compensation and damages. The negotiation is bad enough it you have license, rego, insurance and were following the law because some factors not considered in Western countries are included. E.G. the party with the least police "friends", lessor injuries, largest vehicle, greatest capacity to pay tend to inherit more responsibility. Most Farang drivers will already be on the back foot even if 100% legit. Drivers not following the law (no license, drinking etc. will pay more.

If you are going to drive, get a license.

The driving tests seems to be getting stricter. When my wife did hers about 5 years ago the procedure was similar to that described by Gweloman but the testers were very lenient with errors on the practical test. The whole thing took most of a day to get through but few failed. At that time there were plenty of others paying 400 - 500 baht to bypass the whole test. I gather from friends doing tests more recently that it is much harder to buy your way out now and errors are not tolerated as much. Even so, this should be a problem if the OP can drive.

Driving in Thailand with out a license is common but VERY unwise. If there is a serious accident with injuries or deaths, the police will do their investigation and there will be a negotiation about who pays what compensation and damages. The negotiation is bad enough it you have license, rego, insurance and were following the law because some factors not considered in Western countries are included. E.G. the party with the least police "friends", lessor injuries, largest vehicle, greatest capacity to pay tend to inherit more responsibility. Most Farang drivers will already be on the back foot even if 100% legit. Drivers not following the law (no license, drinking etc. will pay more.

If you are going to drive, get a license.

My feeling, when taking the exam, was that "paying your way" in getting a driving license was a thing of the past, at least for first-timers. I know at least one farang who "bought" the conversion of his license. However, the exam properly said is so easy that you must really be unable to drive at all to succeed.

I actually failed the driving test for my scooter license. There's a long, slightly elevated stretch you need to navigate without falling off. I went off about 1/2 of a meter from the end. They said I failed and had to come back. Wifey tried to offer money....no way. We pleaded for 30 minutes and he finally gave in. Let me pass.

I was on a rented scooter and was the first to take off from 35 or so riders. I was nervous as they literally yelled at me to start things going, and wasn't use to the bike. Good excuse anyway....

1. get a driving license in you country of orgin and apply for a international license.

then apply for a thai driving license. (only eyesight and some traffic light test)

2. pay for a license, many driver schools provide that kinda services.