Phone Got Caught In The Rain Help !

While riding today on my motorcycle the skies opened up and the nearest covering was about 15 km away. When I got there the display on my phone was dark and blank. Yet it was vibrating constantly. Took about 5 minutes with my wet hands to get the cover off and take the battery out. Now it sits at home, Simms out, mini SD out, battery out, and cover off.

Any suggestions how to save this phone ?

Will I need new simms ?

Will the photos on it be lost ?

From what I have read and heard, you should take out the battery, dry the phone off as well as you can then put it in about a kilo of rice and let it set in the sun for a couple of days. Good luck.

I have managed to destroy two phones by getting them wet. I had both of them repaired and the repairs didn't last long. I now have a Motorola Defy Plus that is water and shock resistant as well as having a Gorilla glass display. I too got caught in the rain while on my motorbike. My Defy was in my pants pocket and had no problem.

I don't remember anyone ever recovering a soaked phone to full functionality, could get it going well enough to recover data but essentially it's junk.

Electronics that has become wet when operating invariably suffers damage to a greater or lesser extent. If it gets wet when un-powered you stand a good chance of it recovering. Water washing does, after all, form part of the manufacturing process.

Next time stop and put your phone under the m/c seat.

Clearly that would have been the smart thing to do. But I don't always do the smart things.

Bike was a big bike, no real under seat space like if I was on my wave. Noticed blue sky ahead and made a run for it. It really was a gully washer. Wet all the way through to the skin in seconds. Phone was in a inside armor coat pocket.

Good news was my new expensive (to me) Fuji camera was OK !

Next time stop and put your phone under the m/c seat.

Clearly that would have been the smart thing to do. But I don't always do the smart things.

Bike was a big bike, no real under seat space like if I was on my wave. Noticed blue sky ahead and made a run for it. It really was a gully washer. Wet all the way through to the skin in seconds. Phone was in a inside armor coat pocket.

Good news was my new expensive (to me) Fuji camera was OK !

Alternative, always keep a couple of Tesco bags in your bike.

Thanks everyone for the helpful ideas !

DId take the battery out as soon as I could, lightly hair dryer. let it sit, looks ok, tried to power up nothing, so now trying the 3 day rice treatment

Ok, then the 3 day bag of rice thingy, AND a 20 baht tamboon at the local temple will also help. biggrin.png

I had a camera that didn't like humidity, would drop dead sometimes.

I would revive it by warming up the oven until just warm, turn off the gas and put the camera in with all stuff taken out of it and all of it's little doors (sd card, battery etc) open.

Never tried the rice thing, but I would think fine powder in the rice would get into the circuitry and screw things up.

Best of luck, let us know if you succeed.

Edited by bendejo