The Way To Guarantee Failure In Thailand........

theblether

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A New Yorker in the West Indies couldn't believe I walked around unarmed.

To me that was an alien concept....all about inviting what is worst in society....in the end his nerves snapped and he returned home.

No doubt to his “safe“ society.

The mind boggles! :D

Some of us have lived as ex-pats in more than one country,

I thought you were only here as a tourist?

(So in what countries have you lived as an ex-pat?)

I never claimed to be an ex-pat in Thailand......I named Africa, Germany, Spain and China......not Thailand. smile.png

Duh

It was a long and fairly tedious post ..... I admit it, I only read the first paragraph.

I did live in Glasgow on a full ex-pat package for a while, so I know a little about living in foreign countries too!

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

Duh

It was a long and fairly tedious post ..... I admit it, I only read the first paragraph.

I did live in Glasgow on a full ex-pat package for a while, so I know a little about living in foreign countries too!

Agree on the tedious bit.

• Like 2

I lived in an apartment block called Canal View for sometime, I came home one night and the neon name on the roof had partially failed and the letter C was unlit.

"Anal view" eh, I gave it some thought, agreed and moved.

Sometimes you need a little help to see rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Duh

Agree on the tedious bit.

Me too.........it's tedious going through the same old answers every single day. coffee1.gif

Edited by theblether

'just accept everything' is no way for a cultured man to live.

Exactly. While I agree with much of what the OP wrote, he did fail to mention an additional group of expats.

The group who can bitch and moan when they feel the need and who still get on with their lives without fully "integrating". The group who accept that life is not always meant to be easy and everything is no black and white. Or, those who have principles that don't allow them to just accept everything they think they cannot change.

• Like 1

'just accept everything' is no way for a cultured man to live.

I didn't say accept everything..........

One cannot truly integrate without giving up considerably his principles, in many cases. So, yes, one would not need to accept everything, but he would need to give up quite a lot -- esp if his principles were ingrained in a reasonably civil country.

• Like 1

I didn't read the full OP because there were too many words but I think I got the gist of it and tend to agree, I think.

Yes, couldn't get to the end either. I have a feeling I agree with most of it though. Even though I never lived in any other country than Thailand (and my country of birth). I guess I hit the sweet spot right away. ;)

I didn't read the full OP because there were too many words but I think I got the gist of it and tend to agree, I think.

Yes, couldn't get to the end either. I have a feeling I agree with most of it though. Even though I never lived in any other country than Thailand (and my country of birth). I guess I hit the sweet spot right away. wink.png

So you agree with that middle section ? Thats quite extraordinary if you do.

My general impression of all this is that it's a bunch of cliched generalizations. Each expat comes to their new country with their baggage, and adjusts to the new reality in their unique personal way. There is no magic formula for success or failure, nor is their a universal definition of success or failure as an expat. In my view, staying a while and then running away is a success if that's what is the best for that person.

I don't know about cliche JT.........however I do agree with you that success can be defined in many different ways. I loved my five year stint in Germany but I don't plan on living there again. Germany is in the happy memory file.

So that was a success.......just for the sake of interest, did you live as an ex-pat anywhere before moving to Thailand?

Thailand is the only country I have been an expat in. But I use the same skill to survive here as I did with all my travle during my life. I keep a lowprofile and try to stay away from conflict. If conflict arise I take a defensive mode and wait to see which way it goes.

to this day it has been quite successful.Doing it this way I have only been left for dead in 2 countrieslaugh.png

• Like 1