The Way To Guarantee Failure In Thailand........

theblether

I have lived in Thailand full time since 1990, in December thats 22 years, not holidays , not extended visits, but I live here, ok, lets put ot this way, in the past 22 years I have spent a total of 3 months in the UK, what can a guy that lives 6000 miles away and is a sometime tourist teach me about life in Thailand?

They dont live in Thailand yet they give advice to people who may already have lived here for many years, wheras they have not, how can they give advice ?

It depends on where you have lived in Thailand. I have lived here straight (in more ways than one...wink.png ) for 15 years (27th Aug) with a total of 20 days in my country of origin.

But don't ask me anything about Chiang Mai or Ko. Chang or Nakon Nowhere as I have never been to any of these places.

But that would be the same at home as well, I have never kissed the Blarney stone either...............thumbsup.gif

Edit: corrected typo

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 1

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been covered before but just to remind you all of those happy folks who arrive with lots of cash....have a great time an then leave again with a bit less cash.

You aren't a sex tourist, and yet you make posts like this.

Can you understand my confusion here Smokie?

The confusion lies in so much as smokie is not a sex tourist but like to think of himself as a sexy tourist!

• Like 2

This has been covered before but just to remind you all of those happy folks who arrive with lots of cash....have a great time an then leave again with a bit less cash.

Where did I mention sex tourism in my post?

The confusion lies in so much as smokie is not a sex tourist but like to think of himself as a sexy tourist!

I leave such vanities to the expats! laugh.png

I am informed (by a reliable source) that both he (Smokie) and Bleather are extremely handsome men.

thats the word on the street!

Seriously though, a lot of the guys that i call "frequent visitors' bring with them a much more positive take on the place and i also think its very unfair and stupid for people to bracket their knowledge of the coutry with that of a two week tourist.

Seriously though, a lot of the guys that i call "frequent visitors' bring with them a much more positive take on the place and i also think its very unfair and stupid for people to bracket their knowledge of the coutry with that of a two week tourist.

I've always noticed that the mildly retarded seem to live much happier lives than the general population.

That doesn't mean I would seek out their advice or listen closely to their opinions though.

I think we can all agree than often ignorance can be bliss.

• Like 1

I've always noticed that the mildly retarded seem to live much happier lives than the general population.

That doesn't mean I would seek out their advice or listen closely to their opinions though.

Smokies not retarded matelaugh.png but i do take your point. It is much easier coming here for holiday breaks and missing many of the downsides of living here. without a doubt thats true. Thing is, to my knowledge these guys fully accept that too.

Anyway we have veered off topic a bit. so back on topic, one great way to guarantee failure here is to arrive without a clear well thought out rational plan of what you are going to do with your new found life.

• Like 1

Yeah, some hide in the bush where no one can question them if they are right or wrong. You have got a point... ignorance is a bliss. coffee1.gif

I know being an expat living in Alabama, Utah etc. coming from Washington State would be a hell of a lot harder for me than Thailand.People that live in small countries with not much deversity seem to be more overwhelmed by change.

One way is to listen to people who live 6000 miles away and actually believe they know what they are talking about.

I'm beginning to understand this message. I see now that the most loquacious members of this website are individuals who reside, as you say, a long way from these shores.

I think that a forum's validity as a worthwhile resource can be easily undermined by those who contribute in order to be heard as opposed to those who contribute in order to debate, educate and elucidate.

Let's just say that Thailand (and its related forums) often attracts the wrong kind of individual.

why would people who do not live here be posting on this board?

One way is to listen to people who live 6000 miles away and actually believe they know what they are talking about.

I'm beginning to understand this message. I see now that the most loquacious members of this website are individuals who reside, as you say, a long way from these shores.

I think that a forum's validity as a worthwhile resource can be easily undermined by those who contribute in order to be heard as opposed to those who contribute in order to debate, educate and elucidate.

Let's just say that Thailand (and its related forums) often attracts the wrong kind of individual.

why would people who do not live here be posting on this board?

To alleviate the shroud of misery cast over the forum by the majority of the long term 'residents'

Next question......

• Like 2

'just accept everything' is no way for a cultured man to live.

A cultured man merely makes the best of whatever cards he is dealt.

Was part of an interesting conversation a couple days ago in the workplace (work at a hospital in LA). Chinese guy, Korean girl, and me. All co-workers and friends. Chinese guy was talking about the philosophy of Bruce Lee and his praise of 'being like water.' If you pour water into a cup, the water adapts and fills the cup. The Korean girl said she would rather be the cup, and shape the water. I liked her comeback. They asked me what I thought. Water or the cup. Of course I fell back on my standard philosophical line and avoided either ---> play your cards the best you can, laugh at the rest. And damnit you beat me to it here.

Haven't lived officially in Thailand, but about to roll the dice and spend a year or more there. Not sure why. Just fighting off complacency and a dull soft sedate comfort zone I suppose.

i used to live in the US before I came here so I was prepared for Thailand.

Coming to the US was a shock to me, homeless people everywhere, beggars, weapons, violence, corruption, polluted air, everything really random and arbitrary.

Yes, Thailnd is a little bit more of everything above mentioned, but to be honest, not so much...

It always cracks me up hearing americans complain about corruption etc, when their own country deals with the same problems.

Edited by ayayay

i used to live in the US before I came here so I was prepared for Thailand.

Coming to the US was a shock to me, homeless people everywhere, beggars, weapons, violence, corruption, polluted air, everything really random and arbitrary.

Yes, Thailnd is a little bit more of everything above mentioned, but to be honest, not so much...

It always cracks me up hearing americans complain about corruption etc, when their own country deals with the same problems.

Corruption Index

http://cpi.transpare...pi2011/results/

UK is 16th, Ireland 19th, France 25th, Taiwan 32, Malaysia 60th, China 75th, Thailand 80th, India 95, Vietnam 112th, Russia 143rd, Burma 180th. You wouldn't be a little anti US would you? No of course not. What was I thinking.

"The way to guarantee failure in Thailand". In my opinion the answer can be summarised as: living in Thailand with insufficient money, or being too sick or unhealthy to enjoy life here or failing to have sufficient guile or cleverness to handle life in Thailand.

"The way to guarantee failure in Thailand". In my opinion the answer can be summarised as: living in Thailand with insufficient money, or being too sick or unhealthy to enjoy life here or failing to have sufficient guile or cleverness to handle life in Thailand.

My shoes, that I have just taken off, are full of rain water, because it is currently raining quite heavily, I can afford and have more than one pair of shoes, but I cannot control the rain.

Therefore I have changed my shoes, because I can, and I don't complain about the weather because I can't change it.

I did allude to this several days ago.

My shoes, that I have just taken off, are full of rain water, because it is currently raining quite heavily, I can afford and have more than one pair of shoes, but I cannot control the rain.

Therefore I have changed my shoes, because I can, and I don't complain about the weather because I can't change it.

I did allude to this several days ago.

your too stupid to buy an umbrella?

Hi all

Having lived in China, India, Japan, Indonesia and Thailand I can say with some confidence that Thailand is the best expatriate country to live. I have been living in Asia since 2003. I don't plan on moving back to the USA.

I often tell people to live in Chiang Main because you can land, find an apartment with Internet in less than a week.

I'm a software engineer and my work is anywhere a computer is.

Chiang Mai has incredible restaurant choices, awesome shopping, kick ass movie theater's and the quality of life is extremely high.

Sent from my SC-06D using Thaivisa Connect App

Agree on quality of life in CM...but shhhhh...biggrin.png

• Like 1

Thanks theblether, I read every word.

When I was a kid at school (13) and we went on a foreign trip to Paris, we were taught that we were visitors in their country. We were also told that we were ambassadors for our country and that they would judge our country on our behaviour.

Although I have been living in the south of Spain for a number of years I have lived and worked in the Far East, Middle East and Europe, I understand that there will be a Farang price and I can't say I mind too much, we generally have so much more than them and can easily afford it. That's why I let the other half buy anything expensive.

However, as kids we were required to understand something of the culture of the country that we were visiting BEFORE we made the visit.

Therefore, to your guidance I would recommend that folk intending to settle here should, as a minimum obtain and read a copy of Thailand Fever. It is written in English on the left page and the Thai meaning on the right, in Thai. Later, if you are in a relationship with a Thai, you can use the book as an intermediary.

If you intend to find a girl friend in Thailand,get a copy of Stephen Leather's Private Dancer, it's not published but it is downloadable.

I was lucky enough to be lent a copy of Thailand Fever in the first few days of my arrival and it helped me understand so much of Thai culture. It also warns of most of the traps that westerners can fall into.

Without this knowledge, I think I would have had a very different and less pleasant experience in Thailand.

Thanks again - great advice

• Like 2

I applaud the OP for attempting to put his experiences into words. While some think it was "wordy" ...at least the OP's intentions were positive and set in a manner to try and help new or future expats as opposed to many posts around here that are wordy and full of negativity.