Growing Limes Commercially

I have about twenty rai of fertile land available to me, with a good source of water.

I was thinking of planting limes, which seem to grow very well in my area. They can also fetch a good price (last year, during the lime shortage, up to 7 baht per fruit).

I've spoken to local farmers who have told me that this can be very profitable -- based on a 20-rai plot, into the six figures (baht) per month once the trees start producing fruit after a couple of years (and depending on market prices).

Does anyone here have any experience/opinions?

Thanks.

The price of limes tends to fluctuate a bit. I could see you making 6 figures in a month after a few years, but it won't be steady. Limes tend to fruit in cycles so you have good months and bad. If your good month coincides with low prices then...... Also they tend to take alot of spraying and fertilizer depending on the soil. You are looking forward to about 3 years to get any substantial harvest and then the trees should be good for another 7 + years. I planted a couple of hundred trees about 14 years ago and 6 months later the government gave everybody and their brother 25 trees each. Fortunately, most people did not care for their trees so the price was only down a few years then it came back up. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Limes are a must have for the Thai household as are chili, peppers, various veggies/fruits, egg, various meat cuts, etc. The price of all of these items have varied as much as 300% over the past few years.If limes were hugemoney makers, you would have everyone raising them, saturate the market and they would not be worth picking.

We have a few limetrees (6 or so) and they take care of family during season. 20 rai of any single crop will be market dependent and that is not always consumer driven when it comes to farm gate price. Diversity and substance seems to be the most successful, just due to small plot size.

A neighbor is in process of cutting his third rice crop this year. He saw the government was going to prop up price somewhat, he could quickly take advantage and has. He also said he did not get price promised but made about 10% more net profit than normal, so he gained on the norm.

Good luck and I think you will hear from some who have more experience than I have which could be more encouraging/

Yes, well to tell you the truth, I'd be doing it mostly for fun and to have a hobby. I wouldn't need to depend on the income to feed my family, though it would be nice to make a profit on it. The expenses don't seem to be very high, since I have the land available.

Then you cannot fail.

And if you cannot sell it, make limonade.

• Like 1

Yes, well to tell you the truth, I'd be doing it mostly for fun and to have a hobby. I wouldn't need to depend on the income to feed my family, though it would be nice to make a profit on it. The expenses don't seem to be very high, since I have the land available.

Then you cannot fail.

And if you cannot sell it, make limonade.

Well, I definitely don't want to LOSE money...

OP, with 20 rai of good land, i would be inclined to do what the Mrs mum & dad did years ago,

They planted many different fruit trees, Tamarind,Mango,Orange,Coconut,Banana,Custard apple,Bamboo,[edible shoots] Papaya and so on, cant remember all the different ones, With this there is always some fruit in season, so the family could always be fed, any excess was sold,

They didnt plant Lime trees though, Kaffir Limes grow wild and locals just help themselves, when there is some on the market, 20bht kilo,but thats Kaffir Limes, golf ball size, never see big limes,For me there is no difference taste wise, Mrs uses them in cooking ect,

Good Luck with what you decide, Cheers, Lickey..