Baking Supplies In Bangkok?

I'm familiar with UFM, Sukhumvit 33 and also Schmidt up at Phrakanong, but does anyone know of any other places selling ingredients for baking (mainly bread)?

Also, has anyone experimented with using the imported Italian flour (sorry, can't remember the name) found in Big C Extra (formerly Carrefour)?

Thanks for any help

Best flour I always found for bread is Canadian flour. Don't know why, but the results are usually better. Where to buy it? Seen baking supplies in Makro, there is a speciality shop in Fashion World, and also I think in Bangcapi mall. There is a new Japanese shop on 33/1 Sukhumvit and they have a lot in there as well. Thai's mostly do not have an oven and as such baking is not something they do.

This is pretty vague...but.

if you drive on the expressway from Pinglao to Cheang Wattana once you are on the straight bit to immigration there is a reasonably big shop on the left. Brown and yellow. Cant miss it.

While we're on the subject, where can I find bakers' yeast? I have a bread/pizza oven project for the garden, pity if I can't make bread in it. I believe I can create live yeast once I get powdered yeast?

I'm not sure what you mean by Baker's yeast. There are many brands of instant yeast available including SAF. I'm in Chiang Mai and Bakersmart offers frozen yeast that comes in cakes. Both types are used for baking, not beer making.

While we're on the subject, where can I find bakers' yeast? I have a bread/pizza oven project for the garden, pity if I can't make bread in it. I believe I can create live yeast once I get powdered yeast?

I'm not sure what you mean by Baker's yeast. There are many brands of instant yeast available including SAF. I'm in Chiang Mai and Bakersmart offers frozen yeast that comes in cakes. Both types are used for baking, not beer making.

Thanks. There is a difference between bakers' and brewers yeast. I can order the latter in Bangkok.

• 2 months later...

I'll be in BKK soon for a couple of hours and unfortunately don't have time to go to both UFM and Schmidt's. If anyone has been to both, how are these bakery supply shops different?

Thanks.

smile.png

I don't know Schmidt's but UFM is ok if you want Thai ingredients. I would suggest you take a look there and then walk 100 meters or so to Villa market that has imported stuff. I buy in both places.

• 1 month later...

We found a very interesting shop on Saturday near the junction of Sukhumvit and Onnut.

It is run by a Thai/Chinese family and stocks everything required for baking etc: Cake tins, pie tins, bread tins, cupcake tins, scales, timers, sieves, pallet knives, rolling pins, flours of all descriptions both in regular size and commercial sizes. Australian salted and unsalted butter, Thai butter all in both regular consumer packs and commercial packs. Biscuit/cookie cutters, white choc chips, dark choc chips, ground almonds, hundreds and thousands, oil, yeast, colours, flavours etc etc.

If you are driving up Sukhumvit the shop is on the left hand side just before the left turn onto Onnut.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Schmidt a couple of weeks ago. Really good German bread flours. Compared to products in Thai stores and supermarkets very pricey though, but can't beat the taste of it. As for yrast I use the red Fermipan Baker's yeast. They have it at Makro or even the local balery supply shop. Another alternative is the Australian dark rye and whole wheat flour sold at home fresh mart, foodland or tops. Good value.

• 5 months later...

We found a very interesting shop on Saturday near the junction of Sukhumvit and Onnut.

It is run by a Thai/Chinese family and stocks everything required for baking etc: Cake tins, pie tins, bread tins, cupcake tins, scales, timers, sieves, pallet knives, rolling pins, flours of all descriptions both in regular size and commercial sizes. Australian salted and unsalted butter, Thai butter all in both regular consumer packs and commercial packs. Biscuit/cookie cutters, white choc chips, dark choc chips, ground almonds, hundreds and thousands, oil, yeast, colours, flavours etc etc.

If you are driving up Sukhumvit the shop is on the left hand side just before the left turn onto Onnut.

BUMP

I found the shop last Tuesday and there are actually two shops (same owner), one each side of Sukhumvit 75/1.

If you come off the BTS at On Nut keep on the opposite side to Lotus Tesco and walk back down Sukhumvit road towards Ekkamai and Thong Lor. Cross over On Nut road and keep going another 50 metres or so and 75/1 is the first and second soi down there.

The owner speaks some English but the way I found to get what I need is to type the item in English, Google translate to Thai and Google for a picture. Save it and print out what you want and you have 3 chances of getting it.

They have an email address and also a Facebook site and from the card she gave me the place is called Laemthong BakerMart.

I think she may also send stuff by Thai Post as I did ask but I am not sure that she understood 100% due to my poor Thai and her not too bad English. If she does then good for me as I live 390km north of BKK.

I am sure that if you need stuff you can get your wife or a Thai friend to help speak to her.

post-5614-0-97109100-1375158537_thumb.jp

Edited by billd766