Why Are Second Hand Cars So Expensive?

Which are the best value vehicles? pick ups?

Second hand? IMO the cars that are good cars but not very popular in Thailand. So with pickups that would be all brands except for Isuzu and Toyota.

Thats odd, my inlaws are all mechanics and they only reccommend Isuzus and Toyotas. And they practice what they preach

That's why they are much more expensive second hand, and other brands like Mazda, Mitsu etc. are better value for money second hand, which was my statement.

The availability of parts and how much $$$ you spend fixing it in garage and time is factored in the price. Thats why Toyotas are usually more expensive. Mazdas and Mitsus are pretty reliable too but not as good as Toyotas, but still I dont know why they selll for so much cheaper.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't mean to change the subject, but. Have any of you ever traded in the old car for a new one at a dealer????? And if so how did it go.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Dealers sell you car on to a tent and make a profit. It's better to sell directly to a dealer. Honda offered us 235K for an old city, while we sold it to a dealer for 10K more. The dealer could sell if for about 280K or so. Same car now (9 years later) would sell at a dealers for 180K. So that's a depreciation of only 10K a year to the dealer....wow

IMO, Because it's so cheap to have an extensive bodywork and respray job. Can't say i've ever seen a car scrapyard in Thailand,maybe some other members have?

Lots of cars / old cars + plenty of bad drivers = scrap yards. Yes I've seen a number, but they are often tucked away up in sois, and not out on the main road.

IMO, Because it's so cheap to have an extensive bodywork and respray job. Can't say i've ever seen a car scrapyard in Thailand,maybe some other members have?

Yep also seen lots......... The organized ones are a bit worrying at the front they have a pile of 1/2 cars... eg: undamaged front 1/2 or back 1/2 of cars. the rest of the yards laid out with usable parts, these sort of places are mostly old buildings or covered areas.. question is are these 1/2 cars made into road cars 'cut and shunt' ?? are they commonplace on the secondhand car market here ?

Out in the stick is different just a big field of cars many smashed, any good parts you can take off and buy... again a few places I have noticed complete running cars are For Sale on these sites also.. This is fine if the car/truck was lightly damaged......... can't see many place's having jigs. or any allinement tools

Guess bad cut and shunts are common, often see cars, mostly older truck crabbing [not running straight - out of line]

Edited by ignis