Why Are Second Hand Cars So Expensive?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any idea about second hand German cars ? Can they be sold easily and at good price ?

Thanks.

If you find a well maintained one,with a record that can be checked,one owner etc. and have a reliable mechanic(giggle.gif ),go for it....but it comes tricky,if you want to sell it again here...most of the 'locals' go for Toyota,or Honda,but those will cost the same as your German import tongue.png ....I'll take a good Audi over the best Civic wink.png

Why would it be easier to get finance for an overpriced used car with questionable reselling value rather than for a new car?

I mean, if the owner can't pay back the loan, the finance company can size the new car and sell it immediatly for a good price, an older car can sit under a tent for months or years...

Why would it be easier to get finance for an overpriced used car with questionable reselling value rather than for a new car?

I mean, if the owner can't pay back the loan, the finance company can size the new car and sell it immediatly for a good price, an older car can sit under a tent for months or years...

Easier to qualify with dealers that carry their own paper. They can sell a three year old pickup for 80% of what it cost new, get a nice down payment and charge rip-off interest rates. The buyer misses a few payments, they go get the truck back, keep the down and whatever payments were made, clean it up and sell it again. They do the same thing with the motorcycles.

Easier to qualify with dealers that carry their own paper. They can sell a three year old pickup for 80% of what it cost new, get a nice down payment and charge rip-off interest rates. The buyer misses a few payments, they go get the truck back, keep the down and whatever payments were made, clean it up and sell it again. They do the same thing with the motorcycles.

that's quite clever but bordeline vicious...

that's quite clever but bordeline vicious...

It's a glorified loan racket. The guys bring papers in for sign and stamp to prove they have jobs, so the “dealers” know where they work. The dealers try to come to the plant to repo once in a while, but the guards are instructed not to let them in. It can be entertaining at times…

I guess coming from America, I noticed I rarely see older cars.

It seems to me that more than half the cars on the road are 5yrs old or less. Rarely you see cars that are over 10 yrs old.

Where are all the old cars going?

You obviously did not travel a lot around Thailand. Take any road into the country and you will see the number of rolling junkpiles...

Look at the pic I attached for an example... but I saw worst!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

post-156158-1348068307948_thumb.jpg

It is worth notiing that Ford was building over a million cars a year in the 1920s, and that by the 1950s, most everyone in the US has had a car, that makes for a lot of old cars. Also, kids in the US usually start driving at 15 or 16, and that makes for a lot of old cars on the road.

• 2 months later...

Example:

2008 Honda Jazz 1.5 Manual Transmission 470k baht.

http://chiangmai2car.../detail?id=3295

New one (with probably better options) now costs 590k baht, with the 100k rebate it would have been 490k. Plus you might get free insurance for a year and other benefits when buying a new car, often worth 20-70k, depending on the model. Plus you get a new car´s warrantee. This means that the new car with the rebate and free insurance would be actually cheaper than the used car right from the start.

The 2nd hand car market here in Thailand is mad, and the asking prices for old cars are insane. Plus add in the fact that often the maintainance isnt done properly, as opposed to West. Summarum: buy a new car instead, unless you find a steal.

Edited by WhiteCadillac

Example:

2008 Honda Jazz 1.5 Manual Transmission 470k baht.

http://chiangmai2car.../detail?id=3295

New one (with probably better options) now costs 590k baht, with the 100k rebate it would have been 490k. Plus you might get free insurance for a year and other benefits when buying a new car, often worth 20-70k, depending on the model. Plus you get a new car´s warrantee. This means that the new car with the rebate and free insurance would be actually cheaper than the used car right from the start.

The 2nd hand car market here in Thailand is mad, and the asking prices for old cars are insane. Plus add in the fact that often the maintainance isnt done properly, as opposed to West. Summarum: buy a new car instead, unless you find a steal.

...only ,you can't get a new Jazz right away(long waiting list),so no rebate ether...and maybe no free insurance etc.because of high demand...but agree about the crazy second hand prices... sad.png

Any idea about second hand German cars ? Can they be sold easily and at good price ?

Thanks.

If you find a well maintained one,with a record that can be checked,one owner etc. and have a reliable mechanic(giggle.gif ),go for it....but it comes tricky,if you want to sell it again here...most of the 'locals' go for Toyota,or Honda,but those will cost the same as your German import tongue.png ....I'll take a good Audi over the best Civic wink.png

Well, German cars can be high maintenance cars: High-performance models more so than smaller engine/base models.

You'll want to find shop/s that sell parts to the brand of your choice as well as a Mechanic that specializes in that brand.

One car that I'd like to own in Thailand is the Audi UrS4/S6 sedan. "Ur" means "Original". Audi's first S4/S6 w/ the Turbocharged Inline-5 engine. They seem to be well-taken cared of, for the most part. It's a special car and very rare. Most are automatics in Thailand.

I like the rarity of Audi and Subaru in Thailand. Two companies that are known for their All wheel drive layouts.

Ironically, these 2 brands are probably the MOST popular cars here in Colorado, USA, my home. I'm driving a 1998 Subaru Legacy L here, now. It would be a great car for Thailand and somewhat mimics many cars in Thailand b/c:

- 4 door Sedan: family accessible

- Small-displacement,efficient 4 cylinder engine: 137 hp, too ! 5 5 5

- Automatic Transmission

- Arsenal FC sticker on window cool.png installed by me!

55 . . I got it for $3,300 = 99,000 baht w/ 170,000+ miles on it. Typical Japanese Reliability: i changed the oil and spark plugs, that's all it has needed.

Edited by devilish

So, do you know if there is a strong second hand market for german cars ? Is it easy to resell a 2 or 3 millions german car ?

I wonder why people buying a 2 or 3 millions car would buy it at a tent ? Some millionnaires have no bank bank statement or salary sleep to get a lown at a real shop or bank ?

So, do you know if there is a strong second hand market for german cars ? Is it easy to resell a 2 or 3 millions german car ?

I wonder why people buying a 2 or 3 millions car would buy it at a tent ? Some millionnaires have no bank bank statement or salary sleep to get a lown at a real shop or bank ?

Yes there must be a strong secondhand market for those cars catering for the millionaires whose money will never touch down in a bank account and obviously won't need a loanwink.png .

I bought a reliable car 10 years ago.It was a bmw with a Good Toyota engine and Trans installed. No more mechanical nightmares

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect App

Wash your mouth out, you bought a secondhand car with a engine swap and have not had any trouble not what TV posters wants to readlaugh.png .

Edited by kartman

I like the rarity of Audi and Subaru in Thailand. Two companies that are known for their All wheel drive layouts.

Ironically, these 2 brands are probably the MOST popular cars here in Colorado, USA, my home. I'm driving a 1998 Subaru Legacy L here, now. It would be a great car for Thailand and somewhat mimics many cars in Thailand b/c:

- 4 door Sedan: family accessible

- Small-displacement,efficient 4 cylinder engine: 137 hp, too ! 5 5 5

- Automatic Transmission

- Arsenal FC sticker on window cool.png installed by me!

55 . . I got it for $3,300 = 99,000 baht w/ 170,000+ miles on it. Typical Japanese Reliability: i changed the oil and spark plugs, that's all it has needed.

American with Arsenal sticker? Holy <deleted>.....w00t.gif

Which are the best value vehicles? pick ups?

Second hand? IMO the cars that are good cars but not very popular in Thailand. So with pickups that would be all brands except for Isuzu and Toyota.

Thats odd, my inlaws are all mechanics and they only reccommend Isuzus and Toyotas. And they practice what they preach

Which are the best value vehicles? pick ups?

Second hand? IMO the cars that are good cars but not very popular in Thailand. So with pickups that would be all brands except for Isuzu and Toyota.

Thats odd, my inlaws are all mechanics and they only reccommend Isuzus and Toyotas. And they practice what they preach

That's why they are much more expensive second hand, and other brands like Mazda, Mitsu etc. are better value for money second hand, which was my statement.