Samui Police Are Going To Need Bigger Holding Cells

There is a huge oversupply of taxis on Samui resulting in many only getting perhaps 1 job a day so they have to charge the Earth to make anything. Enforcing meter usage will over time reduce the number of taxis until we are left with a sustainable level.

I think I'd taxis we're more honest people would use them more often I would probably not new to rent cars all the time is taxis were Bangkok price

They do make money or they would not do it

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something does need to be done all over Thailand with the taxis....

Bangkok is the exception; Where often rude, nose picking, lip-smaking, hawking, yabba riddled nutters still provide a good well placed and relatively honest service.

I see the thin end of the 'Samui / Phuket issue' in Hua Hin where taxi's / tuk-tuks charge B150 or B200 depending on the distance of the journey (which for a metered cab would be less than B100). At these prices there is no great issue, the fares are reasonable, there are very few complaints and the Police have no need to do anything. BUT, the prices will rise each year, the drivers (or whoever organises them) will gradually increase the fares to the point where the passengers complain and we start to see issues and confrontations.

Fair prices need to be established, drivers need to be licences, taxi's insured, rules enforced and drivers regularly alcohol and drug tested.

We're a long way off all that and this news is simply 'Pie in the Sky'...

While well intentioned the practicalities of a complacent police force doing anything against a determined organised Taxi ring (or Tuk Tuks) are to great to over come with a simple news bite and another latest crack down.

There is a huge oversupply of taxis on Samui resulting in many only getting perhaps 1 job a day so they have to charge the Earth to make anything. Enforcing meter usage will over time reduce the number of taxis until we are left with a sustainable level.

I think I'd taxis we're more honest people would use them more often I would probably not new to rent cars all the time is taxis were Bangkok price

They do make money or they would not do it

I agree, no question more people would use them if they employed the meter (therefore cheaper) but that would require collective forward thinking which is not exactly in abundance. However, I seriously doubt that the existing and potential market together would be anywhere near large enough to support the number of taxis presently available. Reducing the number of taxis could be done by reducing the number of licenses but that is not going to go down well. Forcing meter usage will also, over time, reduce the number of taxis with those unable to bridge running at a loss for a period dropping off first. This also has the potential of driving people into debt (or more debt) if too many attempt to bridge the gap.There is no nice way to solve the issue but the least bad IMO would be to withdraw say 25% of the licenses on a last in first out (LIFO) basis.

However, this is all a pipe dream and ultimately nothing will happen.

It's really not a hard issue to solve at all. Undercover police get in a taxi, if he doesn't turn on the meter then his license is revoked. This is what would happen in any normal country.

The fact is that nobody wants to solve it because there's too much tea money involved.

It's really not a hard issue to solve at all. Undercover police get in a taxi, if he doesn't turn on the meter then his license is revoked. This is what would happen in any normal country.

The fact is that nobody wants to solve it because there's too much tea money involved.

I seriously doubt this would work if if they did they would get fined and be back out in there taxi

They have the ability to ruin the tourist season by not only over charging but stalking people which is very annoying and intimidating and stupid

How many people have walked back to thier motor bike or car with your keys open on your have about 10 meters from your car and done idpit shouts put taxi

Even had one offer me one as I got off. My bike he was either stupid or taking the piss then offered me one when I came back to Mu bike

I think there are enough customers that can use all these taxis even with hight meters

The thing is they would be driving more and not parked all the time

They must be making money at present or there would not be so many

They are definitely making money - more than 600 of the little highwaymen on the island now.

600?

You must be kidding. Last time it was an extravagant 200 + a bit.You are perhaps, just perhaps getting mixed up between taxis & 7/11 & family smile.png

They are definitely making money - more than 600 of the little highwaymen on the island now.

600?

You must be kidding. Last time it was an extravagant 200 + a bit.You are perhaps, just perhaps getting mixed up between taxis & 7/11 & family smile.png

Not kidding, but I may be mistaken. It could be only 500! I have definitely seen taxis with reg numbers in the 500 range.

Look at the reg nos. Everyone is unique and on Samui - they start at 1 and taxis have their own number range. If you see a taxi no 495 - it is the 495th taxi registered here.

200 was quite a few years ago.

Edited by Tropicalevo

Maybe brake in the taxi and stick a blanket inside do the agent can hide under cover when he or she gets in

They do indeed HAVE meters.

Good luck finding one that works! biggrin.png

one who was using his taxi meter years ago was simply shot dead........no meter no taxi should be our mantra in samui

Maybe some one could stick a meter to the roof of the taxi when it takes off do everyone can see his meter without the driver even knowing

As for arresting them for what who u think owns these taxis and even if they were arrested it would be like a helmet fine which is about half the price of the rip off charges

If everyone videoed their experience then sent the videos to the police in Bangkok then maybe Bangkok police might be down to Samui not to attest then but to buy a taxi business

Truth be told best off just not to use them it would be nice to have a proper system but I shall leave that for someone else to sort out.

Why don't all expats protest by everyone with a pick up pick people up free of charge for a whole day or 2 there would be nothing thu could do unless there is a law about offering someone a lift

Edited by BigC

Why don't all expats protest by everyone with a pick up pick people up free of charge for a whole day or 2 there would be nothing thu could do unless there is a law about offering someone a lift

I have tried this one Big C, but it does not seem to work.

Every time that I offer a young lady a free lift - they take one look at my beer belly and grey hair, the clapped out truck (or bike) and say 'no thanks. I'll walk.' sad.png

600?

Not kidding, but I may be mistaken. It could be only 500! I have definitely seen taxis with reg numbers in the 500 range.

Look at the reg nos. Everyone is unique and on Samui - they start at 1 and taxis have their own number range. If you see a taxi no 495 - it is the 495th taxi registered here.

200 was quite a few years ago.

Yes you're right there I saw # 503 today, and the guy has had his new taxi about 2 months.

I have tried this one Big C, but it does not seem to work.

Every time that I offer a young lady a free lift - they take one look at my beer belly and grey hair, the clapped out truck (or bike) and say 'no thanks. I'll walk.' sad.png

tell them no problem as they shall be robbed 1 way orthe other

have a nationalfree pick up day to raise awarness of over priced taxis

Edited by BigC

cheaper if you live here to buy a car if you are hire short term to rent 1.

then taxis can sit around as long as they like for all i care as i shallnot use them..

When i go away i let my friend borrow my car on the condition that he uses it to pick me up and drop me at the airport.

Saved me overa grand plus the car gets used maintained and serviced.

lol i remebered once i cameout of the aiport and th taxi man shouted out taxi.i give him the 2 finger up yours sign unfortuanlity i do not think that the 2 fingers is internationalsign and hethought i wanted 2 taxis lol

Edited by BigC

cheaper if you live here to buy a car if you are hire short term to rent 1.

then taxis can sit around as long as they like for all i care as i shallnot use them..

When i go away i let my friend borrow my car on the condition that he uses it to pick me up and drop me at the airport.

Saved me overa grand plus the car gets used maintained and serviced.

lol i remebered once i cameout of the aiport and th taxi man shouted out taxi.i give him the 2 finger up yours sign unfortuanlity i do not think that the 2 fingers is internationalsign and hethought i wanted 2 taxis lol

Spot on Big C

Trip to Tesco from Chewang - 300/400 baht. Same to go back.

Jeep rental one day 500 baht - max 700 baht peak season.

No brainer really.whistling.gif

I had asked just out of curiosity I turn the meter on to see how much it should be , and the driver didn't mind , as long as the 600 far was paid

how much was the meter

it is no use calling the authorities. they already know what is going on.

u have to accept the way it works out here.

if one taxci man was arrrested then the taxis would block the port out of protest. the cost of arresting someone would damage toursime even more.

I got a taxi driver to turn his meter on once. I was going from the Ghost Road 7/11 in Bangrak to the ring road near Fisherman's Village. We already agreed on a price and I asked him to turn it on just out of curiosity. I forgot the exact amount, but I seem to remember that after including the 90 baht surcharge, it came out to about 50 baht less than what we had agreed on.

They want 700 baht to go from Lamai to the airport, I'm pretty sure the meter would show a lot less than that, including surcharge.

They want...from Lamai to airport I always paid 500 not more ??????

Soon or later I will take a taxi and ask for meter. Maybe I'll be ok to add 50 THB to fare if it is small trip. If they don't agree I'll call the number 1864 or so.

The law is the law.

You tell them !

Tell him to get good insurance first.

We all love a leader......:D