Sauce Bearnaise, Where Can I Buy It?

Isaanben

Any one knows if I can find this sauce in Thailand? I would prefer it in powder which you mix with butter and water, Knorr is good. I would hope to find it in Khon Kaen. Or maybe some on line shop?

Regards, Isaanben

Thank you! Will have a look at Tops in Khon Kaen. Maybe have to wait till I come to Bangkok...

surprisingly the tops I go to at Central Rama 2 has many of these types of things including powered gravies and sauces so you might get lucky there.

Bernaise sauce in powder ?

To use on steak in powder ? Or on asparagus in powder ?

Sorry about my humor... am allergic to fine food in powder... and always surprised about this kind of product can be so charming on people...

wai.gif

• Like 1

Tastes a million times better if you make it yourself, and as you say, not difficult

Tast much better yes, but not so easy to make. I had 3-4 batches before i succeed. The problem is that its easy to get the egg mixture to hot when you stear in the butter. The trick is to use a duble bottom pot. If it splits, add a spon of cold water and stear like crazy

Sorry about my humor... am allergic to fine food in powder... and always surprised about this kind of product can be so charming on people...

wai.gif

Well, maybe not charming but I think Knorr tastes very good and it is very easy to use and you can store these sachets a long time...

Tastes a million times better if you make it yourself, and as you say, not difficult

Tast much better yes, but not so easy to make. I had 3-4 batches before i succeed. The problem is that its easy to get the egg mixture to hot when you stear in the butter. The trick is to use a duble bottom pot. If it splits, add a spon of cold water and stear like crazy

I have tried to make my own once but I thought it only tasted butter. But I will try this too. Thank you for your tips!

Thank you! Will have a look at Tops in Khon Kaen. Maybe have to wait till I come to Bangkok...

surprisingly the tops I go to at Central Rama 2 has many of these types of things including powered gravies and sauces so you might get lucky there.

James

You will find it even more surprising if you go to the tesco in rama2 (opposite big C)

I was amazed at the Uk products they have and cant find in any of the other tescos. A whole array of the homepride type cook in sauces/casserole mixes etc, french crisp bread (ok not English) primula cheese spread (in the tubes) cheese and chives primula/chesse and ham all the bisto range, paxo etc

You should check it out.,

wai.gif

Well, maybe not charming but I think Knorr tastes very good and it is very easy to use and you can store these sachets a long time...

I know, but a'm allergic to short-ways-foods-fromknorr-nestlè-etcetc...

But of course i know that if they sell it's because someone buy... business is business, all around the world.

wai.gif

I have tried to make my own once but I thought it only tasted butter. But I will try this too. Thank you for your tips!

Well, a good Bernaise have to taste of butter... is not so wrong...

Not just butter of course, is a balance between butter opulence, winegar acidity, terragon taste...

In my way i prefer to follow the classic recipe using clarified butter instead of melted butter, also have a different taste (little toasted) who i like more.

Not a problem if terragon not available, without it remain however a very good Hollandaise sauce thumbsup.gif

wai.gif

Love Bernaise sauce. I would not say it is easy to make but if I learned anyone can. Find a good recipe and follow the technique exactly. You must use a double boiler and incorporate the ingredients slowly. Never stop stirring and don't let it get too hot or it will seperate on you, once this happens you really do need to start again.

• Like 1

Unfortunately is also one of the most "abused" sauces of ever...

Mostly of restaurant who offert it at the end serve a kind of mayonnaise form the can, cold and acid...

Serious restaurants (expecially inside hotels) prepare it just before the service and keep in a warm place till they use.

A very often used trick is to add a little of hard bechamel sauce before to start adding clarified butter, it help into keep everything thick and creamy.

wai.gif

Mostly of restaurant who offert it at the end serve a kind of mayonnaise form the can, cold and acid...

Serious restaurants (expecially inside hotels) prepare it just before the service and keep in a warm place till they use.

A very often used trick is to add a little of hard bechamel sauce before to start adding clarified butter, it help into keep everything thick and creamy.

wai.gif

Serious restaurants make it at the table whilst carving the Chateaubriand.

A very traditional sauce that has been bastardized over the years,still a classic.

wai.gif

A very traditional sauce that has been bastardized over the years,still a classic.

Am really a lover of Bernaise, but unfortunately i never found a so serious place who made it at the table sad.png

wai.gif

wai.gif

wai.gif

Am really a lover of Bernaise, but unfortunately i never found a so serious place who made it at the table sad.png

wai.gif

wai.gif

Never seen it done at the table either and I've worked in a lot of very classic French restaurants in my past. Nice idea though, the more you can give to the chef de rang the better.

@Ciocco - Adding a bechamel is bad, but using clarified butter??? I'd have had a pan thrown at me if I cheated and done that in my commis days. ALWAYS melted butter, that is the correct, traditional way. If you make it out of clarified it's greasy and tastes oily, all the good flavour of butter comes from the buttermilk.

If only I had a baht for every young chef I've had to <deleted> explain this too.

wai.gif

wai.gif

wai.gif

Never seen it done at the table either and I've worked in a lot of very classic French restaurants in my past. Nice idea though, the more you can give to the chef de rang the better.

@Ciocco - Adding a bechamel is bad, but using clarified butter??? I'd have had a pan thrown at me if I cheated and done that in my commis days. ALWAYS melted butter, that is the correct, traditional way. If you make it out of clarified it's greasy and tastes oily, all the good flavour of butter comes from the buttermilk.

If only I had a baht for every young chef I've had to <deleted> explain this too.

The Midland Hotel in Manchester used to have a wonderful place called the "French Restaurant" As a youngster i was taught there under the head chef Monsieur Le'fevre,he demanded that the French Restaurant was based on Escoffier cooking methods and the old fashioned brigade style of training chefs was how i attained my C&G.A great experience to work in that restaurant as a young chef.As much as could be possibly done at the table was done including crepe Suzette and flamed drinks and sweets

There will not be many places that do it this way but i can assure you it is food theater at its best.

http://www.restaurantsofmanchester.com/french/thefrench.htm i have just googled it and it instantly brought back memories because of the grand place it is.I worked there in 1982,sorry for going off topic wai.gif

• Like 2

wai.gif

wai.gif

wai.gif

I know is bad, but as i said it is a "trick", and it work...

Different schools, probably, because i always seen using clarified butter (and if a very good one the taste remain great) smile.png

wai.gif

Every Chef has a few tricks up their sleves, and to be fair I've seen a lot worse.

Using clarified in hollandaise is a pet hate of mine (and the chef I trained under), as Mr Red said it's a sauce thats been 'bastardised' over years and even by some very good chefs. But it's the milk in the butter that makes a butter good, so why throw it away when making a hollandaise?? I've seen so many chefs add water to the mix when it gets too thick, why? Add the buttermilk thats where the flavour is!

Although I don't have one next to me now, I'd bet my life that if you look in Le Répertoire it would say melted butter, not clarified.

Sorry for going off on a chef rant, but I'm loving the way that this topic on packet bearnaise is turning into a discussion of real food. wai.gif

wai.gif

I'm a chef and i have never seen a Bernaise sauce made in the restaurant in front of the customer. I'm never past learning however....

OT mode on:

Every Chef has a few tricks up their sleves, and to be fair I've seen a lot worse.

Using clarified in hollandaise is a pet hate of mine (and the chef I trained under), as Mr Red said it's a sauce thats been 'bastardised' over years and even by some very good chefs. But it's the milk in the butter that makes a butter good, so why throw it away when making a hollandaise?? I've seen so many chefs add water to the mix when it gets too thick, why? Add the buttermilk thats where the flavour is!

Although I don't have one next to me now, I'd bet my life that if you look in Le Répertoire it would say melted butter, not clarified.

Sorry for going off on a chef rant, but I'm loving the way that this topic on packet bearnaise is turning into a discussion of real food. wai.gif

Bernaise is and was a kind of "litmus test" for a lot of Chefs and places.

I was a very young commies when in a very important hotel on the Tuscan coast an Executive Chef was self-dismissed after a very bad incident about Bernaise and Chateaubriand.

It was early '80, Classic Kitchen was a hotel must.

An evening in winter, not so many guests in the hotel.

The order asked for Chateaubriand x2, avec Sauce Bernaise.

This Chef (was there coming from one of the most important hotels in Rome for to sobstitute the resident Chef who was on holiday)... also he was very full of himself, like romans are famous to be. A kind of fear/respect was around him... like it used on that age. Still a kind of full kitchen brigade working.

Garde Manger Chef asked him how do he want the fillet.

Excecutive gone himself to cut and put on the grill a kind of double paillard... everyone on the brigade was surprised and look at this in silence (in that years no one dare to discuss with a Chef)...

Once ready he ring the bell on the pass to call the waiter and send the order.

Waiter didn't check under the silver cover and bring it outside.

In a few minute was back, "sorry Chef, may be i call wrong order... it was a Chateaubriand x2..." with that kind of fear that was normal into going back for a mistake...

Chef went again in Garde Manger and this time he cut again something similar to the previous paillards... and start to grill it...

I still remember the scene, as a movie, silence and embarassment...

Garde Manger Chef look at me (in that time i was replacing the Entremetier Chef who was sick, upgrated on field smile.png ) like to say "what the hell he is doing?"... but no one dare to do or say nothing again... and in a few minutes the meat was again on the pass.

This time was the Chef de Partiè who comes to take the order, and he dare to open the silver cover.

Maitre comes on the pass, calling the Chef, saying with low voice that probably his guys wasn't clear... but Customer asked for a Chateuabriand...

Chef told "Oh... sorry... my fault... i misunderstand... just give me a few minutes..."

This time the Garde Manger Chef was tryng to help him taking a whole beef fillet to cut the piece, but the Chef once again want to do it himself, cut two fillets and start to grill...

At that point really no one know what to do or say... just the Saucier was a little more smart and ask if he can prepare the sauce for him, because it looks like if he want to do everything himself... like to show us it was able... of course he answer not... whistling.gif

The Maitre was on the pass, taking personally the meat. He probably decided it was time to feed the Customers and exit with the fillets, the waiter ask if Bernaise was ready. everyone looks the other to see how it's going this kind of candid camera...

Chef, talking normally like if it was really normal he say "oh, sorry, just a minute and i'll prepare..."

Waiter was enough experienced to understand, and exit sayng "ok, thank you..."

He never started to prepare it...

On what we knew about that, Customers they was just disappointed but they don't claim more than normal...

But the shame of this thing fastly run all around and probably the Chef was gone to check on the book what Chateaubriand and Bernaise it mean... because the morning after he was left, without saying a word to no one, gone back in Rome.

Months later i was sent in Rome for a change, already Chef de Partiè, and i meet him again.

He was a very good Chef in Rome, on that time that hotel restaurant was very popular. One afternoon, being on guard, he passed next to me to tell me that in Viareggio, months before, he was very confused because they don't serve that kind of cut in there... like to ask sorry for something he felt like a shame...

It was cute... and i smile to him.

But that incident make him loosing the job a few weeks later, when his contract ends, and i never seen him again.

I never really understand if he was just underfitted or if he just went in panic for something... but about this story they talked for years in that group.

Long stories around Bernaise...

i was 17... and it was many time ago rolleyes.gif

wai.gif

OT mode off.

• Like 2

Wow. I was enjoying that thread too. All you professional chefs must eat like kings at home.

I like to cook too, but only from recipes. rolleyes.gif People like cooking shows, because it's fun to watch someone really skillful in the kitchen, and the food makes them hungry. Like me now...