Nice, Budget Vegetarian Restaurant

JustCurious

I was biking today and came across a fairly new vegetarian restaurant. It's on Suthep Rd., close to Wat Suan Dok and across from Chiang Mai Dental School. You can't miss it's big yellow sign, "Vegetarian."

The staff were very friendly and funny. They surrounded me while I was eating and watched after me to make sure everything was okay with my meal. The chef came over, took my photo and tried his best to explain the food items.

The menu is buffet style, you can choose one or two items @ just 20 or 25 baht and it was really delicious.

It's definitely worth a stop!

There are 2 or 3 together on that stretch near the temple. The g/f goes every 10 days or so when its a buddhist day to collect some food for the day.

I particularly like the kao soy....what they lack in chicken they certainly make up for it with spices...aroy mak

"They surrounded me while I was eating and watched after me to make sure everything was okay with my meal."

Doesn't sound like my idea of a good time!

they obviously dont have a TV yet showing thai soap dross....so until then, the customer is the amusement

There are 2 or 3 together on that stretch near the temple. The g/f goes every 10 days or so when its a buddhist day to collect some food for the day.

I particularly like the kao soy....what they lack in chicken they certainly make up for it with spices...aroy mak

What's the name of the restaurant with the good khao soy?

What's the name of the restaurant with the good khao soy?

will report back, heading that way now.

The 3 in a row veggie "restaurants" just 100m past wat suan dok. The OP is referring to the first one, it is very nice but seems to have gone down market with the wheelie food bins though.ermm.gif (unless they belong to someone else)

The 3rd one has the kao soy we buy. As Naam says Pun Pun in the temple has a fantastic reputation, not had the pleasure yet.

post-150623-0-57773900-1346419701_thumb.post-150623-0-73165300-1346419895_thumb.post-150623-0-17847200-1346419957_thumb.

They are pretty good, but the top of the pops lies just around the corner in the grounds of Wat Suan Dok, Pun Pun. Superb. The Indian curry with wholewheat naan is incredible. And the prices are cheap.

Have they moved or completely redecorated? On the Thai news last night in the restaurant review segment they reviewed a vegetarian restaurant in C.M. called Pun Pun Vegetarian Restaurant. They said it is behind CMU. GF got the address and it does not look like Wat Suan Dok. The food looked amazing including a number of avocado based dishes. It did not look like Wat Suan Dok as there was no giant Bodhi or whatever that tree is in the center, tables looked different, etc. and a middle-aged woman was the owner/master chef.

We used to go to the original very often but then the couple from Narathiwat who managed it for years suddenly disappeared earlier this year and a new guy was in charge. I've been a couple of times since the change and the food is not the same, somewhat bland, and portions are smaller. The GF said a few Thais had complained on a C.M. web forum about the change.

Well, I find that the original Pun Pun Vegetarian is wonderful. Anybody can throw together vegetables (and deliver sometimes an oily result); the one inside Wat Suan Dok serves delicious and flavorsome dishes, achieving healthy eating for me that is desirable. For all I know, its siblings do too.

Not to say that others aren't worth more reports!

There are 3 vege Pun Pun restaurants now - Wat Suan Dok, Santitham & behind CMU.

Where's the one 'behind' cmu? And what does 'behind' mean?! Which way are we looking? Is it on suthep road or huay gaew road?

I don't know, I've never been, but on a previous visit to the Suan Dok restaurant a member of staff told me about it, said it was opening soon. I'm sure they had a map, but I couldn't see any mention of it on the Pun Pun website.

Behind CMU is Suthep ("lang maw"), in front of CMU is Huay Gaew ("naa maw").

• Like 1