Hotmail Security Questions?

Ulysses G.

For several months, when I opened Hotmail, the first page was in Thai. I did not understand it and would skip it and go to my inbox instead. The other day the language changed to English and it was a bunch of security questions - apparently in case one loses their password - and one of them was, "what is your ATM number"? This seems kind of strange to me. However, without one's bank account number, it seems pretty harmless and easy to remember, but I did not answer it correctly as it is none of their business.

Has anyone else had this page appear on their Hotmail account?

Edited by Ulysses G.

I've been asked to add additional 'security info for hotmail UG, but it is generally asking for an additional phone number and email address, which I have been ignoring.

Have not seen the ATM number one. Is that a drop down box question?

I've been asked to add additional 'security info for hotmail UG, but it is generally asking for an additional phone number and email address, which I have been ignoring.

It asked for an additional phone number and email address and had a drop down box for a choice of security questions such as name of fIrst pet.

I do not think that the ATM number was a drop down box as there was no choice of another question - just like the additional phone number and email address.

It asked for an additional phone number and email address and had a drop down box for a choice of security questions such as name of fIrst pet.

I do not think that the ATM number was a drop down box as there was no choice of another question - just like the additional phone number and email address.

I have been asked for the same information as you but never for my atm number.

I just looked at a different one of my Hotmail accounts and it looks exactly the same, but no question about the ATM number. I can't see how this number could help someone who did not have an ATM card or bank account number to match it, but it does not seem legitimate either.

Edited by Ulysses G.

For sure its not a question in the dropdown box. A very simple rule. Never ever give away bank account number in cases like this. Hotmail security questions are like: Where is you mother born, your best friend in your hometown, your first dogs name etc.

I remember that I could see the letters "ATM" in English when the page was written in Thai and when it finally switched to English, the whole sentence said, "What is your ATM number", but I am almost poitive that it was not in the drop down box - although in the second account that I looked at the drop down box question was in English (What is your mother's maiden name) and you could make the box drop down and answer another question if you wanted to.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Really the ATM question looks more like a trojan or an attempt of phishing/scam, if you have full of annoying toolbars and startpages will be better to not use that PC at all for things that you dont want to lose, like accounts or money!!

Ok, so asking for an ATM number is odd, but surely if there was such a question you would never give your real ATM number.

Its the same for all those, so called security questions, like 'what was your mothers maiden name ?'. If somebody knows your real name then a Google search could easily throw up your mothers and fathers names.

eg to the question 'what was your fathers middle name ?' I would answer something like "pineapples", it does not have to be correct just remember the answer you gave.

MS is dropping support for hotmail (according to previous thaivisa posts). I am also finding some strange things happening, such as clicking arrow for next message not working... but in the interim strongly suggest you change your password (google how to do this). AA

You are wrong. It did ask that question and it was on my computer for several months in Thai and suddenly changed to English. When I answered the "security questions" it stopped appearing on my screen. I am guessing that it is some sort of malware, but I do not know much about such things, which is why I am asking here.