Survey: 1 In 2.8 Thai Married Couples Divorced Within Recent Years

webfact

Survey: 1 in 2.8 Thai married couples ended up with divorce in recent years

BANGKOK, 31 August 2012 (NNT) – The latest survey has shown that around 1 one every 3 married couples in Thailand ended their marriage with divorce in recent years.

The Office of Women’s Affairs and Family Development Director Chansiri Sukhonthachaya said that the latest study shows that more than 285,000 couples got married in 2010, 28% of which, or about 108,000, divorced in the same year.

The report stated that the divorce among Thai couples was caused by current economic and social factors.

Mrs. Chansiri said that the couples with rocky marriages should try to work things out and understand each other more, while avoiding getting involved in such home-wrecking factors as narcotics and gambling, as well as polygamy.

Meanwhile, the report has shown that more Thai women have opted to stay single as they believe that they can be financially independent, while more Thai men have enjoyed the single life or chosen to marry when they were older.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-08-31 footer_n.gif

Survey: 1 in 2.8 Thai married couples ended up with divorce in recent years

BANGKOK, 31 August 2012 (NNT) The latest survey has shown that around 1 one every 3 married couples in Thailand ended their marriage with divorce in recent years.

The Office of Womens Affairs and Family Development Director Chansiri Sukhonthachaya said that the latest study shows that more than 285,000 couples got married in 2010, 28% of which, or about 108,000, divorced in the same year.

The report stated that the divorce among Thai couples was caused by current economic and social factors.

Mrs. Chansiri said that the couples with rocky marriages should try to work things out and understand each other more, while avoiding getting involved in such home-wrecking factors as narcotics and gambling, as well as polygamy.

Meanwhile, the report has shown that more Thai women have opted to stay single as they believe that they can be financially independent, while more Thai men have enjoyed the single life or chosen to marry when they were older.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-08-31 footer_n.gif

I looked here as I thought "28% of marriages ended up in divorce" didn't sound high.....it sounded low. Surely it's at least half?

Thus I discovered a truly pathetically written article, in which the whole point was wrong, it was not 28% "ended up" in divorce, but divorced within the same year!

Naturally we were not informed if this included Thai traditional marriages, though the answer is probably obvious as there would not be figures on these unless by survey. Neither were we told the figures about those who couldn't be bothered to legalize their divorce but just separated which would amount to the same thing. Neither do we know how many actually do "end up" in divorce.

As if this wasn't bad enough the article thought the Director's lipflap worthy of repeating.

Jeez...

Edited by cheeryble

I wonder if those stats are based on legal marriage (i.e., marriage certificate from govt) or just religious marriage (i.e., may have had the marriage ceremony but never registered the marriage with the govt). Either way, I can easily believe 1 out 3 end in divorce based on my experience in Thailand...sounds about right for all my Thai in-laws/family....no shortage of remarriages within the family...seems to be the in thing to do both now and for the last half century.

Edited by Pib

Narcotics are not a "home-wrecking factor". There are many legal narcotics, such as hydrocodone which is used to relieve intense pain.

Polygamy is not necessarily a "home-wrecking factor" either if both members of the marriage agree to it.

"Meanwhile, the report has shown that more Thai women have opted to stay single as they believe that they can be financially independent, while more Thai men have enjoyed the single life..."

Perhaps the reason that there is so much divorce during the first year is that Thai women learn, after marriage, that they are the ones who must support the family while the married man still wants to enjoy the single life drunk.gif .

These stats sound about right for most places. The difference apparently is that you need to get a divorce hear in the first year where in other places, such as the US, their is a grace period where you can simply annul the marriage or even have the church annul it years later making it as if the marriage never happened.

I am vehemently AGAINST any type of marriage, because in the end it likely will cost me my last shirt. Now try to explain that concept to someone who has at least 6 dying grandmothers, a dozen gravely sick water buffalos and a menagerie of unfortunate cousins at home; not to mention that dad urgently needs a new pickup truck and mom cannot live without a more spacious house. No wonder I'm still single. LOL

• Like 2

Is divorce such a bad thing? Should a marriage last a lifetime?

Divorce is a terrible thing! I believe in marriage as a pact of love and stability between 2 people that lasts a lifetime. I also believe in monogamy and trust.

Divorce is a great thing! It's Thai etiquette.

Take her when young, enjoy, when she widens bury her. Find the next, do the same, and a foreverending cycle transmits itself.

If you get shafted in the meantime, enjoy it - find out who was the fool.

Divorce is an educator in all walks of life. ;)

In deepest sympathies for my last 24 Thai wives.... :'(

-mel. cheesy.gif

Divorce is a terrible thing! I believe in marriage as a pact of love and stability between 2 people that lasts a lifetime. I also believe in monogamy and trust.

Avoid divorce. Don't get married.

Narcotics are not a "home-wrecking factor". There are many legal narcotics, such as hydrocodone which is used to relieve intense pain.

Polygamy is not necessarily a "home-wrecking factor" either if both members of the marriage agree to it.

Legal medicinal narcotics????

nar·cot·ic/närˈkätik/Noun: A drug or other substance affecting mood or behavior and sold for nonmedical purposes, esp. an illegal one.

EDIT: Ok illegal to sell, but can be administered by medical facilities/practitioners for treatment.

Edited by SABloke

I believe in the tooth fairy and the Easter Bunny.

Maybe you should, might make you a decent person. Edited by freedom4life

Avoid divorce. Don't get married.

Avoid those who avoid marriage.

"Meanwhile, the report has shown that more Thai women have opted to stay single as they believe that they can be financially independent, while more Thai men have enjoyed the single life..."

Perhaps the reason that there is so much divorce during the first year is that Thai women learn, after marriage, that they are the ones who must support the family while the married man still wants to enjoy the single life drunk.gif .

Perhaps that's a one-sided view...

Perhaps that's a one-sided view...

Or they discover after marriage their men-folk no longer leave 1,000bht on the bedside table in the morning.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

do you also believe in santa claus and the tooth fairy ? laugh.png

love is a human construct and not real.

• Like 1

love is a human construct and not real.

So is your beer, cigarette and your music! Love is as real as it gets!