Had It With Minor Birds, Any Advice?

Ok anybody on Samui have gotten rid of the birds once they have decided to invade your home at will? I ready to look for a pellet gun somewhere, have a pair that has terrorized us for about a year. Seriously, I'd have brought on in to Thailand if I thought I could, just one that shoot plastic to hit them a few times maybe that would work.

They're called Mynah birds mate.

A slingshot, if you're accurate with them would also do a job.

I'd lend you my cat, he's a master hunter, but I'm over in Krabi!

Is there anything else you guys don't like why not kill every thing.

• Like 2

Get a moggie !!!!!!!!

Huh? what's a moggie? blink.pngbiggrin.png

Funny used to see Mynah birds on KP when I lived there, but the only time I have seen them on Samui is in cages...

From memory these birds are worth about 4000 baht each to the Thai's .... perhaps you could see if any local interested in catching them (trying)... They usually steal babies from nest and hand feed them ... and sell while young...

Not that life in a cage is good.... neither is killing them wink.png

Get a moggie !!!!!!!!

Funny used to see Mynah birds on KP when I lived there, but the only time I have seen them on Samui is in cages...

From memory these birds are worth about 4000 baht each to the Thai's .... perhaps you could see if any local interested in catching them (trying)... They usually steal babies from nest and hand feed them ... and sell while young...

I suspect you're mixing up your birds a bit, doubtful any Thai would give you more than 4 Baht for one of our noisy friends. smile.png

Get a moggie !!!!!!!!

British slang for a cat, mostly used in the north of England.

oh... well you learn something new everyday.... biggrin.png we always called a cat a "pussy" .... whistling.gif .. just like Mrs Slocum tongue.png

no wonder it was hard to understand what people are saying when you head up north in England biggrin.png ....

Get a moggie !!!!!!!!

I suspect you're mixing up your birds a bit, doubtful any Thai would give you more than 4 Baht for one of our noisy friends. smile.png

Well, I don't think so.... are the ones you have black with yellow under the wing...? to me that is a Mynah bird... you can teach them to say "hello" and other words *%£@*** etc...wink.pngbiggrin.png

I've seen them in cages here on Samui, but never flying around.... can you get a picture next time they fly by? whistling.gif

Mostly what I get around here is clucking chickens rolleyes.gif

Try putting food and water out for them ?

I have many different birds, I have a stone water bowl for them, and 2 hanging trays I put food on, if I am late or forget to put food out they come to the door and squawk loud, my dogs chase them, or they will go to a closed window and keep tapping on the glass, before about 7 years ago they would often come into the house, now with food outside very rarely........

Have 6 dogs, the birds just fly up and over them when they chase them and land straight back by the open doors or windows.

Try putting food and water out for them ?

I have many different birds, I have a stone water bowl for them, and 2 hanging trays I put food on, if I am late or forget to put food out they come to the door and squawk loud, my dogs chase them, or they will go to a closed window and keep tapping on the glass, before about 7 years ago they would often come into the house, now with food outside very rarely........

Have 6 dogs, the birds just fly up and over them when they chase them and land straight back by the open doors or windows.

He wants to get ride of then I thinks feeding them wont help

Thought he wanted them out of the house ? feeding them I have had about 2 inside the house in the passed 7 years, before they would come in most days.. even with all my fish nets was a game trying to catch them

"terrorized" biggrin.png just imagining a couple of budgies invading your house, giving you the full heshen sack over the head, water boarding treatment.

Love the thought!

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

But c'mon BB show a little sympathy it must be dreadful to live in mortal fear of a couple of small 'terror' birds.

Anyway I'm sure there are some hunter gatherers posting here who would like nothing better than to come round and kill them.

• Like 1

The black ones are called Hill Mynahs and they are expensive and sold as pets. The common Mynahs are the brownish ones and they are the most common bird in Thailand.

Thks for that, so neither I nor Samuijimmy loose face. smile.png

biggrin.png I lost my face ... years ago! biggrin.png

Know I think I know the bird of the topic, light-ish brown things with white bits here and there.... not many around here, I guess that is why the area is full of fat cats laugh.png

Never knew they were a type of Mynah bird... now added to my pile of useless facts in the old grey matter.... wink.png

Thanks for all the advice, have small children and they wslking in bird poop or having them poop on the counters while eating our food, etc, not sustainable. Cat is right, but not want one, so will consider the other options thanks.

My suggestion would be to pack your bags and go home. Sorry Roo I can't help my self. Lucky he doesn't live in Australia his kids might walk in cow shit then will have to shoot them.

Thanks for all the advice, have small children and they wslking in bird poop or having them poop on the counters while eating our food, etc, not sustainable. Cat is right, but not want one, so will consider the other options thanks.

My suggestion would be to pack your bags and go home. Sorry Roo I can't help my self. Lucky he doesn't live in Australia his kids might walk in cow shit then will have to shoot them.

i have friends inOZ who love hunting

Thought he wanted them out of the house ? feeding them I have had about 2 inside the house in the passed 7 years, before they would come in most days.. even with all my fish nets was a game trying to catch them

you can buy stick glue forcatching rats itmight workwith birds if you put some bird flu in there. some birds are consideredpests so idonothave a problem with shooting them i suppose animalrigh shallwish to shootme for saying that buit they shall have to join a que of about 500 oother people who want toshoot me so i don't care wink.png

They're called Mynah birds mate.

A slingshot, if you're accurate with them would also do a job.

I'd lend you my cat, he's a master hunter, but I'm over in Krabi!

Is there anything else you guys don't like why not kill every thing.

I kill fish when I go fishing. No one's calling me a murderer then.

I collect shellfish at a beach near me. I don't see the protest placards out there either.

My cat naturally hunts birds, mice, rats, frogs, lizards and delivers them to me as treats. They're a predatory animal. I see him as a mouse/rat repellant and he does a good job.

Feral cats hunt even more effectively than domestic cats as they need to survive on what they kill alone. Go smacking the mynahs out of all their mouths.

He'll even keep the poisonous centipedes at bay. What about their poor souls?

That mosquito that just bit your ankle and now a bloody smudge on your skin? You monster!

I've bought quails, chicken, turkey, wood pigeon, ostrich all in Thailand. Where were you then to defend the mynah's avian cousins? Why did you not come shed your tears at their graveside then?

Not all mynah birds are the jet black caged talkers that you play with.

Their smaller friends of the same species that are very prevalent all over Thailand, are light and dark brown, still have the yellow strap around their eyes and have fleckings of white in their wings and their body. I believe these are the types the OP is referring to.

They're wild and they have a lifespan of about 1-2 years. They have a brain the size of a pea. There's fish you eat with bigger brains and much longer lifespans.

Can you save me the speech please?

Unless you're a lactose-free uber-vegan who won't even visit a town with the word 'ham' in it, I might be convinced to listen to your pleas and not condone the removal of a pest from a residence.

When you get an ant infestation do you build tiny ant refugee shelters, before repatriating them to better ant lives in tiny ant mansions you've made for them in an ant accomodating environment you've scouted out for them?

Give it a rest.

Edited by ManInSurat

The range of the Common Myna or Indian Myna is increasing at such a rapid rate that in 2000 the IUCN Species Survival Commission declared it one of the world's most invasive species and one of only three birds in the top 100 species that pose an impact to biodiversity, agriculture and human interests. In particular, the species poses a serious threat to the ecosystems of Australia where it was named "The Most Important Pest/Problem".

I don't mind them too much but they do hang around a lot when and just after I have fed the dogs and cat. They like the little left over bits. What does get annoying is that they tend to defecate on my car(and usually just after it has been washed) and also occasionally on my hanging/drying laundry. I find a little wave of a hand or cloth scares them off, until the next time of course.