Cancelling An Old Work Permit

I'm currently working in Phuket, and my school is going through the application process for a work permit for me. Today they told me that the immigration office told them they couldn't issue me with one because I already hold a Songkhla work permit. This old permit was from a job that I finished just under a year ago, but I wasn't aware at the time that I needed to do anything to cancel my old one. I never heard anything about it from the school or the agency I was working with at the time.

To make matters worse, I'm currently frantically searching for the work permit, but I've moved a few times and I can't find it at the moment. It might turn up, but let's assume for now that I have lost it.

What are my options in this situation? My current Non-B visa expires on the 26th of September, so I would VERY much like to avoid another trip to Penang and to have my new work permit by then so I can extend my current visa.

Am I going to have any trouble cancelling the old work permit? How do I go about doing that? Seeing as I've lost it, AND the fact that I haven't even been working at the school it's tied to for nigh on a year, I'm panicking a bit.

Edited by lopburi3
correct font

Nowadays the work permit itself doesn't have to be returned anymore, but you must inform the labour office that your empoyment has ended and on what day with a letter from your employer.

Use this form: http://wp.doe.go.th/...ancellation.pdf

Have your old employer contact the labour office to cancel your work permit and hope it will be fine.

If you were on an extension of stay from immigraitonbecause of employment, your permission to stay ended on the day you lost your job. From that day on you would be on overstay at 500 baht a day, with a maximum of 20,000 baht.

Immigration doesn't issue a WP, the labour office does.

Thanks Mario. So that fine will still count even after I've been out of the country since that old job? I've since got a new Non Imm-B Visa and had no troubles leaving and re-entering the country. I'm getting in contact with my old employer now.

OK, I got in contact with my old agency. They tell me that they can cancel the work permit, but that they'll need a copy of it to do so. I'm assuming they dont have their copies anymore, and it's looking like I've definitely lost it. Am I going to have to get a replacement WP simply to cancel it? Or are the agency wrong and they can cancel it anyway?

OK, I got in contact with my old agency. They tell me that they can cancel the work permit, but that they'll need a copy of it to do so. I'm assuming they dont have their copies anymore, and it's looking like I've definitely lost it. Am I going to have to get a replacement WP simply to cancel it? Or are the agency wrong and they can cancel it anyway?

Surely in this instance they could just talk to them and cancel, they must have some documentation somewhere with the number on, they have your name and PP number. if not just supply them with a copy of your PP data page, I know its Thailand doesnt make sense that they would make you get a replacement WP just so they can cancel it

If I am reading this correctly, the MOE in Songla will have your paperwork if that is where the original W.P. was issued. They would be able to find your documentation using your name as mentioned a copy of your passport page. You may have to get in touch with them personally. They give you the cancellation form in case you are asked by immigration.