Rioja Spanish Restaurant

Sansai Sam

I haven't posted for a year as I had nothing much to contribute but I felt the need to announce this new restaurant that I think is fantastic. They were in business for over 10 years in Bangkok and when the lease was up they decided to give Chiang Mai a shot. The walls are covered with awards and IMHO they are well deserved. The menu is great with a choice of tapas or traditional starters and main courses. The prices are fair and the atmosphere and service are very good. Lots of the dishes are seafood based with delicious garlic roasted mussels, seafood paella, seafood pasta as well as spanish meatballs, tortillas, Iberian ham, grilled paquio peppers and many others. I hope people give it a try since they chose to open right at the start of low season. I think they will need the locals to keep them afloat. I would hate to see them go. The place is on Kotchasarn Road at Thapae Gate just down from McDonalds.

Edited by Sansai Sam

Had dinner at rioja's two weeks ago, it was a disappointing experience for me, appitizers without dips or dressings, not even a hint of olive oil or vingar on the table and the paella was just tasteless... never again..

I had dinner with them in Bangkok and if they are the same owners than the cook must have died during the trip here...

Their lunch menu prices say 17% added (10% for service? & 7% Tax?)

Same for their dinner/ala carte menu

I have not seen this yet at any spots we eat at.

Is it common here?

Of course we tip at restaurants if service & food is good.

**Plus 10 % Service Charge and 7 % Government Tax
Edited by mania

Since my office is nearby I went in and asked if they add 17% as I didn't remember them doing it on my previous visits. They DO NOT add any charges for VAT or service. perhaps they do in the BKK branch but not Chiang Mai.

PS- Also just noticed they are closed on Mondays.

Edited by Sansai Sam
  • Like 1

Since my office is nearby I went in and asked if they add 17% as I didn't remember them doing it on my previous visits. They DO NOT add any charges for VAT or service. perhaps they do in the BKK branch but not Chiang Mai.

PS- Also just noticed they are closed on Mondays.

Thanks I see that website with prices + charges from post #6 must be from their old Bangkok Branch

Edited by mania

Had dinner at rioja's two weeks ago, it was a disappointing experience for me, appitizers without dips or dressings, not even a hint of olive oil or vingar on the table and the paella was just tasteless... never again..

I had dinner with them in Bangkok and if they are the same owners than the cook must have died during the trip here...

With your experience I would be tempted to give them a try again. We all have a off day every now and then.

Had a meal yesterday.

Four of us and impressed we where.

Must admit we never got beyond the Tapas, all ordered one each to be shared and we ended up with six Tapas choices on the table.

Enjoyed so much a second order was placed.

Loads of excellent flavour and three bottles of Plonk later we left in a very happy mood.

Service was top notch.

13.00-23.00 Monday closed.

john

By any chance are you an impartial consultant with them who has no financial interest in the place?

Typical negativity from this forum. As soon as some one recommends a place there is always someone to say it must be his place. It's BORING.

I could not agree more if I tried!

This long term or short term expat has shared his golden nugget of information here and all he gets is a kick in the goolies from cretins!

Give him the credit he bloody deserves! wai.gif

Or that the playground looks dangerous. (if they have one).

Typical on here sadly.ermm.gif

• Like 1

By any chance are you an impartial consultant with them who has no financial interest in the place?

What difference does it make? He's pointed out what might be a great new eaterie and judging by the comments here, most are grateful.

I'll try it once - if it's crap, I'll say so.

No-one is forcing you to go there, so why the banal cynicism?

'I haven't posted for a year as I had nothing much to contribute' Well done SanSaiSam!! The lack of anything to contribute doesn't stop many of the regulars on this forum !!

Mrs. Millwall_fan and I are also fans of Spanish food and this place is getting lots of mentions around town. Mostly positive. We'll give it a try. Thanks for the heads up!

Taking a quote from another moderator for admonishing a member:

"English is the only acceptable language, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed." I trust that is very clear to the offending board member.

Post removed and continuing posting in pigeon/mixed Thai/English will earn the member a suspension.

This was a reference to when SanSaiSam was promoting Butter is Better w/o telling everyone that he did not have a financial interest in the location. He was, at the time a paid consultant. He was promoting the business and he didn't say anything about his interest. So this was a reference to that and OP was asking if he was for real and the answer is that the question needs to be asked. So lay off off him because it was a real question. Duh???

Edited by theDukes

I very much enjoy Spanish food, so I got a bit excited hearing about the news of a quality joint moving up from BKK. It's obvious the owners have done no investigating into how/where quality restaurants in CNX operate and are located. What a location! A rat hole in a wall? Obvious they are not banking on getting any expats to their establishment. Parking? Ambiance?

I give them 8-12 months...... and then its hasta la vista! thumbsup.gif 100%