Many U2 Fans In Bangkok?

Mike West

Hi All,

I am new to the forum, I have been reading through these forums a few times, though I was just curious to know, if there were many U2 fans or rock fans in general in Bangkok, and Thailand really? I've been there a couple of times, though didn't really notice a real Rock presence whilst I was there, so not sure how heavy the fan base is there, could any Rocks fans living in Thailand please respond? thank you.

Had U2 on my iPod as I drove into work today, but I would say most rock fans here are expats.

Rock groups have not had too much success in concert tours here. Jazz does better, as do pop and especially K-Pop. A band such as Maroon 5 can bring in a good turnout at concerts, but rock bands do not seem to fare so well amongst the Thai population.

I wouldn't say necessarily "rock bands" as a genre, but more foreign/English language bands. Rock (or at least the Thai version of it) is popular with bands such as Bodyslam and Big Ass being some of the most successful groups. It's probably more to do with the "dinosaur" bands. And when I say dinosaur bands I mean bands that have been around forever (and yes I grew up to U2), aren't really releasing alot of new stuff and whose fan bases are really made up with long term listeners who grew up with the band. Maroon 5 is a new band still releasing successful singles, so yes there will be a Thai audience. U2...you kind of had to grow up with them to be into them.

I am a big U2- fan myself...though they made it hard with the last album...

I know some Thais who are into U2 and other "rock" of that kind, but they are the minority, compared to all these "happy go lucky"- "musicians such as Lady Gaga and other - dare i say- crap!

I liked U2 up until the point that they stopped making decent music (Actung Baby) and Bono became a hypocritical a$$ that liked the sound of his sermons more than his music

Rock isn't dead in Bangkok, plenty of places to go to hear it. Many Thais will tell you the farang music they like best is from bands like Scopions/Nickleback/Eagles/Santana etc etc

Just a few months ago I went to see Dream Theater here and it totally rocked!

I liked U2 up until the point that they stopped making decent music (Actung Baby) and Bono became a hypocritical a$$ that liked the sound of his sermons more than his music

Rock isn't dead in Bangkok, plenty of places to go to hear it. Many Thais will tell you the farang music they like best is from bands like Scopions/Nickleback/Eagles/Santana etc etc

Yea last year Scorpion performed at Muang thong thani and last month it was Megadeth. Im trying to avoid my old age so I don't listen to these bands anymore but rather listen to the Maroon 5 types haha.

For the funky soul types, it was Earth Wind and Fire that recently performed at Muang Thong haha.

There is a hooka bar on khaosan road that has a cover band that plays GNR and Metallica songs. Another called Parking Toy in Bangkok with a good rock/metal cover band. A lot of bars and pubs with live music which you can't get in the States without a cover charge to get in the door.

On the flipside, Thai bands like Bodyslam have sold out medium sized venues in Los Angeles.

Yeah Parking Toys rocks, one of BKKs hidden gems for sure..... I was told they are closing shortly to remodel and are going to open bigger and better than ever.

Also check out The Pintsman which is a downtown live music haven. Friday they have a ROCKING 'psychobilly' band that covers everything from Elvis to Aerosmith in their own way (and the singer is cute as anything in her little punk getup). Sat there is a rock band, very guitar oriented, Foo Fighters, Kings of Leon, ACDC, Led Zep AND they do an imported beer buffet for 850b. A little difficult to find, in the basement of the United Center but totally worth checking out.

\m/

Yeah Parking Toys rocks, one of BKKs hidden gems for sure..... I was told they are closing shortly to remodel and are going to open bigger and better than ever.

Also check out The Pintsman which is a downtown live music haven. Friday they have a ROCKING 'psychobilly' band that covers everything from Elvis to Aerosmith in their own way (and the singer is cute as anything in her little punk getup). Sat there is a rock band, very guitar oriented, Foo Fighters, Kings of Leon, ACDC, Led Zep AND they do an imported beer buffet for 850b. A little difficult to find, in the basement of the United Center but totally worth checking out.

\m/

hm cool I'm going to have to check it out. Thanks man.

Well, I'm learning some things on this thread. I guess Rock isn't quite as dead here as I thought.

I have gotten into several discussions here concerning bands which hit Manila and Djakarta but skip Bankgok, and the Thais with whom I talk seem to think that K-Pop rules the roost and only a few western bands cut it. But from what I am reading here, rock does well to a certain degree.

Man, I wish I had caught that Earth, Wind, and Fire concert. I heard them once many, many years ago, and I would love to hear them again!

im with you there, and U2 is most certainly no longer rock. the term pop springs to mind when im feeling generous

537596_452428621453263_205344452828349_100689320_332856867_n.jpg